Got my Nikon back - still broken.

Old July 28th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Got my Nikon back - still broken.

Sent my D70 in 4 weeks ago because the exposures were all over the place...

Picked it up today, they said they replaced the entire exposure circuit...

But they broke the multi-selector!

One direction doesn't work, can't go down in menus!

Great work, Nikon...

So looks like I'll have no pictures this summer...

And a Canon system next summer... that 30D looks nicer now...

Bye-bye Nikon...

Stay tuned for a list of Nikon lenses for sale...

Old July 29th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:38:25 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:

Sent my D70 in 4 weeks ago because the exposures were all over the place...
Picked it up today, they said they replaced the entire exposure circuit...
But they broke the multi-selector!
One direction doesn't work, can't go down in menus!

Great work, Nikon...

I would see about sending an email to Nikons head office to let them
know you're dissatisfied and see if they can do anything to help.

You might be surprised what a little complaining to management can do. A
happy customer is much more important to them than the drones in the
service departments.

So looks like I'll have no pictures this summer...

So you can't use the camera at all?

When I picked it up, I returned to my car and put a lens, battery, and memory
into it and tried it - I tried to view the pics I just took and couldn't scroll
down! Then I tried the menu - same thing - no way to select menu items other
then the top one! The selector only works sideways...

So I took it right back into the store and they will send it back... after all
THEY broke it... I'm not going to eat that... and what else might not work??

another month I guess...

Sound to me like it's still usable, just less friendly, so I'd use it as
is until it's more convenient to get it fixed. At least you can take
pictures for now.

And a Canon system next summer... that 30D looks nicer now...
Bye-bye Nikon...
Stay tuned for a list of Nikon lenses for sale...

That's a rash decision. And could be costly for any decent glass you
might have.

I never was really happy with the D70 view, I was going to get a D200... but the
30D is a quieter camera and $600 cheaper... and has a nicer view.

My plan was to have more then 2 cameras in case this kind of thing happened...

But a Canon with 1 or 2 lens isn't a bad idea, even if I get the D70 back fixed
and stick with the Nikon stuff.

I would wait another week or so and see what the new Nikon model offers.
Worst case is you use the crippled D70 for a while longer then upgrade
or migrate to Canon later.

I'm not sure the new Nikon coming is an upgrade... if it's just a D70
replacement, it won't be good enough.

Old July 29th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:07:06 +0200, Ole Larsen wrote:

skrev:
Sent my D70 in 4 weeks ago because the exposures were all over the place...

Picked it up today, they said they replaced the entire exposure circuit...

But they broke the multi-selector!

One direction doesn't work, can't go down in menus!

Great work, Nikon...

So looks like I'll have no pictures this summer...

And a Canon system next summer... that 30D looks nicer now...

Bye-bye Nikon...

Stay tuned for a list of Nikon lenses for sale...

Guess you dont want to hear the Danish stories about service from Canon
and Sigma and Nikon and and........And worse - as long as they can sell
faster than they can produce, nothing will change.

Ya there are lots of problems with today's stuff, but I already had a Canon
miniDV repaired here at Canon, and got the camera back in one week - no
problems.

If the Nikon shop is staffed with monkeys here then I don't want to deal with
them.

BTW I'm a technician, I know how service shops work - it's all in the local
staff. They make or break the company. And the manager is usually the one to
blame - he's the dumbass too stupid to hire good people.

You wouldn't BELIEVE the stupid things managers have said to me... I might write
a book when I retire!

"I told the manager that when the server misses a message, it sets a flag. After
3 error flags for the same packet, it turns on the 'local communication fail
light'." . "If a good packet arrives, the fail light will go out". He asked me,
"Can we buy more flags for the computer?"

Old July 29th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

wrote in message

Sent my D70 in 4 weeks ago because the exposures were all over the
place...

Picked it up today, they said they replaced the entire exposure circuit...

But they broke the multi-selector!

One direction doesn't work, can't go down in menus!

Great work, Nikon...

So looks like I'll have no pictures this summer...

And a Canon system next summer... that 30D looks nicer now...

Bye-bye Nikon...

Stay tuned for a list of Nikon lenses for sale...

I've seen and heard horror stories about poor repair service for *all* the
major brands I think -- definitely including Canon. I've also seen reports
of superb repair service for the same brands.

It seems to work something like Russian roulette. You send the camera off
and hope the hammer doesn't fall on a loaded chamber.

Neil

Old July 29th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Isaiah Beard

Bill wrote:

I think the D200 has a better viewfinder, brighter and bigger.

While I haven't heard the 30D's shutter in person (just online) I expect
it to be like the 20D.

FWIW, Canon seems to make a big deal about the 30D's shutter being
redesigned. So it may very well sound different from teh 20D.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Old July 30th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:56:42 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:

When I picked it up, I returned to my car and put a lens, battery, and memory
into it and tried it - I tried to view the pics I just took and couldn't scroll
down! Then I tried the menu - same thing - no way to select menu items other
then the top one! The selector only works sideways...

So I took it right back into the store and they will send it back... after all
THEY broke it... I'm not going to eat that... and what else might not work??

another month I guess...

That sucks.

I'd still see about emailing Nikon. If no one complains, they won't know
that it's a problem.

That's a rash decision. And could be costly for any decent glass you
might have.

I never was really happy with the D70 view, I was going to get a D200... but the
30D is a quieter camera and $600 cheaper... and has a nicer view.

Really?

I think the D200 has a better viewfinder, brighter and bigger.

Actually I meant the 30D was a better view then the D70, I haven't found a D200
to look through. That's another thing, how could I buy one? There are NONE
available around here... I found a D70s and a 30D side by side in a Best Buy
store display, and compared the view.

While I haven't heard the 30D's shutter in person (just online) I expect
it to be like the 20D. If so, the shutter volume of the D200 and 30D
would be about the same, even if the sound is different, while the D70
is actually a bit quieter.

I meant quieter sensor, as in high ISO setting noise.

I would wait another week or so and see what the new Nikon model offers.
Worst case is you use the crippled D70 for a while longer then upgrade
or migrate to Canon later.

I'm not sure the new Nikon coming is an upgrade... if it's just a D70
replacement, it won't be good enough.

From everything I've gathered so far, it sounds like it's going to be
more like a trimmed down D200, between the D70s and D200, along the
lines of how the Canon Rebel XT is a trimmed down 30D.

I understand it will not be a replacement for the D70s either, at least
not yet.

I guess I should wait for the reviews... I wonder if the film in my fridge is
still good...

Old July 30th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:41:52 -0400, "Neil Harrington" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Sent my D70 in 4 weeks ago because the exposures were all over the
place...

Picked it up today, they said they replaced the entire exposure circuit...

But they broke the multi-selector!

One direction doesn't work, can't go down in menus!

Great work, Nikon...

So looks like I'll have no pictures this summer...

And a Canon system next summer... that 30D looks nicer now...

Bye-bye Nikon...

Stay tuned for a list of Nikon lenses for sale...

I've seen and heard horror stories about poor repair service for *all* the
major brands I think -- definitely including Canon. I've also seen reports
of superb repair service for the same brands.

It seems to work something like Russian roulette. You send the camera off
and hope the hammer doesn't fall on a loaded chamber.

Neil

They really are pushing the consumer throw away world... disposable cameras...
how long till we get a disposable DSLR?

Maybe we should turn to short term leasing... camera breaks, go get another one,
pay the monthly bill, that's it, that's all.