What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4 video frame?

Old September 28th 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
harry newton

Default What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4 video frame?

What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4
video frame?

Googling is *almost never* the best way to find the best freeware for
certain things because someone who is trying to sell something isn't always
neutral on the pros and cons of the freeware.

We all know there are plenty of freeware gotchas, from watermarks, to time
limits, to missing features, to registration requirements, to spyware
insertion, etc. so that's why I ask you this question.

Of course, I googled, but Googling is only useful when *every* review says
the same thing, which almost never happens.

*Testing* each piece of software for the target function is the best way,
but that's expensive in terms of time (but is often needed because it's
often impossible to find someone who knows the answer).

Hence, I ask the question here if anyone here has used Windows freeware to
crop out portions of an Android screen-recording MP4 video where this
screenshot below shows the portion of the MP4 video that is needed to be
cropped out on a one-time need.
http://i64.tinypic.com/27xi5hf.jpg

I'm seeking the canonical Windows 10 freeware video editor of MP4 files
that can blank out areas of the video. Googling, this is what comes up so
far, which isn't really helpful for the stated question:

- Top 5 Video Editing Software for Windows 10
http://www.techkhoji.com/best-video-editing-software-windows/
* WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER
- The best free video editor 2017
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/the-best-free-video-editor-1330136
* Lightworks
* Shotcut
* Hitfilm Express
* VSDC Free Video Editor
* Avidemux
- Video Editor for Windows 10: Best Movie Editor for Windows 10
http://www.techisky.com/software/video-editor-for-windows-10-best-movie-editor-for-windows-10.html
* Windows Movie Maker
- 21 Best Video Editors For Free
https://www.ezvid.com/21-best-video-editing-software-for-free-download
* Ezvid
* VideoEasy
* Cyberlink Free
* Aura Video Editor
* Full Motion Video
* Moviestorm
* Avidemux
* VirtualDub
* t@b ZS4 Video Editing Software
* Blender
* Wax
* AVIedit
* Jahshaka
* Movica
* Zwei-Stien Video Editor
* AVI Trimmer + MKV
* Windows Movie Maker
* Xilisoft Video Editor
* VideoPad Video Editor
- Top free video editing software for Windows 10/8/7
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/free-video-editing-software-download-windows
* Avidemux
* VirtualDub
* VideoSpin
- Best Video Editing Software for Windows 10
https://filmora.wondershare.com/windows10/video-editing-software-windows10.html
* Windows 10 Movie Maker
* Filmora
- Top 5 Best Free Video Editing Software for Windows 10, 8, 7
https://www.iskysoft.com/video-editing/video-editing-software-for-windows-10.html
* Filmora Video Editor
* VirtualDub
* Pinnacle VideoSpin
* Sony Vegas Movie Studio
* Windows Movie Maker

And the list goes on and on.

The *testing* I can always do, and I do test *many* freeware programs.
I'm looking for someone who has actually edited videos when I ask the
question.

If you don't know the answer, that's OK, there's no need to respond.
All I want is the answer.

So if you know the answer, meaning you've actually done the video editing
task on Windows using freeware, then you're the type of person who will
have a helpful suggestion.

All I'm asking here is for someone who has done this type of editing what
they feel the best free Windows 10 video editor is for cropping out
information in an MP4 video.
Old September 28th 17, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Mayayana

"harry newton" wrote

| The *testing* I can always do, and I do test *many* freeware programs.
| I'm looking for someone who has actually edited videos when I ask the
| question.
|
| If you don't know the answer, that's OK, there's no need to respond.
| All I want is the answer.

So you want someone else to do all that testing for
you? I've used Avidemux after trying some other things,
including Windows Movie Maker. I was very impressed.
To me it's like a graphic editor for video. But I'm not
an expert and I haven't tested all of the other 30 items
on your list, so I hope I haven't wasted your time.

Old September 28th 17, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
harry newton

He who is harry newton said on Thu, 28 Sep 2017 13:40:55 +0000 (UTC):

All I'm asking here is for someone who has done this type of editing what
they feel the best free Windows 10 video editor is for cropping out
information in an MP4 video.

Or, if you have never edited videos for cropping out areas, a suggestion of
better search terms (like "redact") would also be useful since searching
for cropping or blurring is too vague to get anything other than stock
video editor reviews, none of which cover the topic at hand.

This gets too generic a result:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=best+freeware+video+editor+crop+blur+tool+Windo ws+10
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=best+freeware+video+editor+redact+blur+tool+Win dows+10

What is the technical term for the cropping of video data like this?
http://i64.tinypic.com/27xi5hf.jpg
Old September 28th 17, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
nospam

In article , harry newton
wrote:

What is the technical term for the cropping of video data like this?
http://i64.tinypic.com/27xi5hf.jpg

paranoia.
Old September 28th 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
harry newton

He who is Mayayana said on Thu, 28 Sep 2017 09:46:20 -0400:

So you want someone else to do all that testing for you?

C'mon Mayayana.

What you're saying is, in effect, "I know the answer but I won't tell you",
since it was *extremely clear* I was asking for someone who has already
expended the effort to perform the task to just let me know what the answer
is.

The only effort I'm asking is *obviously* for someone who has done the task
already, and who has found the software already, to tell me what he found
is the best.

Just as if you asked me what's the most reliable free FTP server for
Android, I'd tell you it's "FTP Server (Free)" and if you asked what's the
most reliable FTP client for Windows I'd tell you it's "FileZilla". How do
I know that? Because I've *already* done the reliability testing of tons of
software for that purpose.

If you ask a question where I don't know the answer, I don't answer; but if
you ask a question where I have *already* done the testing, then the only
effort that is needed to be expended is to explain the answer.

I've used Avidemux after trying some other things,
including Windows Movie Maker. I was very impressed.

I've used FFMPEG-based editors for years on Linux & Windows for the
simplest of things like cropping the timeline of a video and I've bought
and installed Pinnacle Studios something like ten years ago and still have
the boxed software somewhere - but that's *overkill* for what I want to do
as a one-time task, which is block out the areas shown below in this still
screenshot in an MP4 video from Android:
http://i64.tinypic.com/27xi5hf.jpg

To me it's like a graphic editor for video.

If I have to dig into the attic to find and unbox my Pinnacle Studios
software, I will - but I already know that's tremendous overkill for what I
want to do - but it will probably do the job - but it might not handle
modern file formats since it was last used on Windows XP years ago.

But I'm not
an expert and I haven't tested all of the other 30 items
on your list, so I hope I haven't wasted your time.

Freeware isn't free.

The cost of freeware is knowledge.

The knowledge is gained at the expense of time & effort.

I'll find the answer, and do the task, somehow ... but I was hoping that
this ng had at least one person who has already edited video in the way
that I need, using Windows freeware.

If that person doesn't exist - then this thread will be thankfully very
short as I respond to every serious query ... where all I want is the
answer to the question:

Q: What's a good windows freeware video ed that redacts screen portions?
Old September 28th 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Mayayana

"harry newton" wrote

| What is the technical term for the cropping of video data like this?
| http://i64.tinypic.com/27xi5hf.jpg

You mean the black areas? That's painting.
Or pasting. Cropping is trimming the image.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cropping_(image)

If you want to paint in each frame that might
be a challenge. A good editor will do things
like crop and resize, sharpness, color adjustment,
etc. But painting specific items would of course
require a separate operation for each frame. In
theory you could have a video where you want the
exact same area of each frame painted black, but
I'd be surprised if any editor provides that functionality.
It would require adding drawing tools to the software
for functionality that would rarely, if ever, be used.

Old September 28th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

If you want to paint in each frame that might
be a challenge. A good editor will do things
like crop and resize, sharpness, color adjustment,
etc. But painting specific items would of course
require a separate operation for each frame. In
theory you could have a video where you want the
exact same area of each frame painted black, but
I'd be surprised if any editor provides that functionality.

most, if not all can do that.

It would require adding drawing tools to the software
for functionality that would rarely, if ever, be used.

not rarely.
Old September 28th 17, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

In message , harry newton
writes:
What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4
video frame?

[]
I'm seeking the canonical Windows 10 freeware video editor of MP4 files
that can blank out areas of the video. Googling, this is what comes up so
far, which isn't really helpful for the stated question:

[]
All I'm asking here is for someone who has done this type of editing what
they feel the best free Windows 10 video editor is for cropping out
information in an MP4 video.

You might be better including the Windows 10 newsgroup, rather than the
Windows 7 one.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3
Old September 28th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Big Al

On 09/28/2017 10:03 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"harry newton" wrote

| What is the technical term for the cropping of video data like this?
| http://i64.tinypic.com/27xi5hf.jpg

You mean the black areas? That's painting.
Or pasting. Cropping is trimming the image.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cropping_(image)

If you want to paint in each frame that might
be a challenge. A good editor will do things
like crop and resize, sharpness, color adjustment,
etc. But painting specific items would of course
require a separate operation for each frame. In
theory you could have a video where you want the
exact same area of each frame painted black, but
I'd be surprised if any editor provides that functionality.
It would require adding drawing tools to the software
for functionality that would rarely, if ever, be used.

I did a lot of editing years ago with a paid version (yes I know, the OP
wanted free, but..) of Magix Movie Maker in Win7 or 8(?). It allowed
multiple video layers (as well as audio). It had no ability to edit
the video as you want, but I would think you might be able to make a
transparent PNG image of a black rectangle(s) and put it in a 2nd video
track or overlay or whatever the programs term is. It would be an
engineering feat to get the black spots to fit in one PNG but...

I've used Avidemux lately but only to convert formats, trim and
brightness levels.
HTH, al
Old September 28th 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| If you want to paint in each frame that might
| be a challenge. A good editor will do things
| like crop and resize, sharpness, color adjustment,
| etc. But painting specific items would of course
| require a separate operation for each frame. In
| theory you could have a video where you want the
| exact same area of each frame painted black, but
| I'd be surprised if any editor provides that functionality.
|
| most, if not all can do that.

I'd be interested to know of even one free video
editor for Windows that has drawing tools like
line, rectangle, etc, that can be applied on a
per-frame basis, or even to the whole video.
I spent an afternoon exploring at one point and
Avidemux was by far the best option I found.

So... do you actually know anything about
this? Do you know of even one such product?

In the Win7 group someone just recommended
VirtualDUB. I downloaded it. First it wouldn't open
mp4. So I gave it an AVI. It allowed me to copy
a frame and paste it into Paint Shop Pro, but I
was unable to paste the edited frame back into
the video. That function is not on the menu.