cloudy this morning

Old December 25th 13, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

Default cloudy this morning

Shooting conditions were, to say the least, almost ideal. Heavy cloud
conditions, and low light, making for low contrast images.
Here's a guy, just caught a fish.
Be truthful, but gentle with your comments. This is far from a finished
image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/bee145.jpg

--
PeterN

Old December 25th 13, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-25 15:54:03 +0000, PeterN said:

Shooting conditions were, to say the least, almost ideal. Heavy cloud
conditions, and low light, making for low contrast images.
Here's a guy, just caught a fish.
Be truthful, but gentle with your comments. This is far from a finished image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/bee145.jpg

The biggest problem I have with that shot is the out of date weather
report and "fishy" description. the EXIF tells me you shot that on
August 25, not this morning. So you have had 5 months to work on it.
What's up with that?

Savageduck

Old December 25th 13, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-12-25 15:54:03 +0000, PeterN said:

Shooting conditions were, to say the least, almost ideal. Heavy cloud
conditions, and low light, making for low contrast images.
Here's a guy, just caught a fish.
Be truthful, but gentle with your comments. This is far from a
finished image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/bee145.jpg

The biggest problem I have with that shot is the out of date weather
report and "fishy" description. the EXIF tells me you shot that on
August 25, not this morning. So you have had 5 months to work on it.
What's up with that?

Oops, Sorry, wrong link.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_Enter%20custom%20name%20hereSinibel%20bir ds_1499.jpg

--
PeterN
Old December 25th 13, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 12/25/2013 11:11 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 08:03:03 -0800, Savageduck

On 2013-12-25 15:54:03 +0000, PeterN said:

Shooting conditions were, to say the least, almost ideal. Heavy cloud
conditions, and low light, making for low contrast images.
Here's a guy, just caught a fish.
Be truthful, but gentle with your comments. This is far from a finished image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/bee145.jpg

The biggest problem I have with that shot is the out of date weather
report and "fishy" description. the EXIF tells me you shot that on
August 25, not this morning. So you have had 5 months to work on it.
What's up with that?

You don't suppose he clicked on the wrong Dropbox image, do you? You
know Peter has fat thumbs.

Dyslexic fingers.

--
PeterN
Old December 25th 13, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

: On 2013-12-25 15:54:03 +0000, PeterN said:
:
: Shooting conditions were, to say the least, almost ideal. Heavy cloud
: conditions, and low light, making for low contrast images.
: Here's a guy, just caught a fish.
: Be truthful, but gentle with your comments. This is far from a
: finished image.
:
: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/bee145.jpg
:
: The biggest problem I have with that shot is the out of date weather
: report and "fishy" description. the EXIF tells me you shot that on
: August 25, not this morning. So you have had 5 months to work on it.
: What's up with that?
:
:
: Oops, Sorry, wrong link.
: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_Enter%20custom%20name%20hereSinibel%20bir ds_1499.jpg

Florida residents get to enjoy Christmas dinner outdoors.

Bob
Old December 25th 13, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

And July Fourth picnics, indoors.

--
PeterN
Old December 25th 13, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Sort of ;-)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_484.jpg

Savageduck

Old December 25th 13, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-25 15:54:03 +0000, PeterN said:

Shooting conditions were, to say the least, almost ideal. Heavy cloud
conditions, and low light, making for low contrast images.
Here's a guy, just caught a fish.
Be truthful, but gentle with your comments. This is far from a
finished image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/bee145.jpg

The biggest problem I have with that shot is the out of date weather
report and "fishy" description. the EXIF tells me you shot that on
August 25, not this morning. So you have had 5 months to work on it.
What's up with that?

Oops, Sorry, wrong link.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_Enter%20custom%20name%20hereSinibel%20bir ds_1499.jpg

know these are your captures, and you are away from your desktop, but I
have to say something is not right with the way you are exposing your
images. I know you want to capture feather detail and action and all
that but you are not even succeeding there.

I am seeing a murky, halo fringed, artifact riddled, not particularly
detailed image. I am sure your original is as dark as the pelican shot.
I suspect you had the TC attached to your 80-400mm and I have a feeling
that lens might not be well suited to TC use in marginal light. In the
case of this shot taken at 165mm the TC would not have been needed.
Also, given the light conditions, why the -1 EV comp?

I think you would have done much better if you used your 70-200mm f/2.8
(without the TC) at 165mm. Don't get locked into the idea that the new
80-400mm + TC is the best combo just because it gives you the best
reach. the 70-200mm is the better lens to use in marginal light, you
will end up with a better quality NEF, and with the fat D800 files you
will have plenty of crop room.

I know the work I put into the pelican shot and I suspect that this one
will be as demanding in post. You camera and lens combinations should
be producing better RAW images.

There are my truthful comments, and to be somewhat gentle, good work
capturing the moment.

Make some changes for your next bunch of captures.

Savageduck

Old December 25th 13, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-12-25 15:54:03 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I know, but I paid the price I am not thrilled with the image either.
for being too lazy. I should have put the 70-200 on the D300.

Here is try # 2. I cropped the lousy selection and reduced a lot of the
halos. Not great at all, but somewhat better. Also I should have used a
fill flash, but when the bird came in that close, I took what I could
get. I really don't know if I can salvage a decent shot from this one.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_Enter%20custom%20name%20hereSinibel%20bir ds_1499%20cropped.jpg

--
PeterN
Old December 25th 13, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-25 15:54:03 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Nope!

That is even worse.

I have a feeling that to get anything out of that capture you are going
to have to resort to pseudo-HDR from the NEF.
Open the original in ACR and bump the exposure +1 without making any
other adjustments, open in PS and save as PSD or TIFF without making
adjustments.
Repeat another three times adding increments of +1 each time.
In PS select NIK HDR EfexPro and use that series + the original NEF to
create an HDR. Adjust the HDR to tste and once open in PS make whatever
other adjustment you will need to make.

The other HDR option is to skip NIK and use the HDR Pro built into PS
via Bridge and tone in ACR in 32-bit mode. I am going to try that with
the pelican shot this morning.

Savageduck

Cloudy day mmyvusenet[_2_] Digital Photography 2 September 28th 10 06:23 PM
Cloudy Chemistry A R In The Darkroom 1 March 10th 08 07:42 PM
Lightsphere comparison: clear vs. cloudy version? Markus Fuenfrocken Other Photographic Equipment 0 May 8th 06 11:37 AM
cloudy days Beck Digital Photography 8 April 27th 05 07:22 AM
bird photos on cloudy day [email protected] Photographing Nature 16 March 26th 05 04:07 PM