A portrait

Old April 16th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default A portrait

This week's portrait for discussion.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...hp4-16-10f.jpg
(Jennifer Altman, Washington Post)

It would be a delight if it could be discussed without reference to the
man's beliefs, politics or race.

Let's focus on the portrait.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old April 16th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Floyd L. Davidson

Alan Browne wrote:
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...hp4-16-10f.jpg

You gotta be kidding? That's a *terrible* portrait.

The man has a simply wonderful face, with personality
written all over it, but virtually *none* of that is
handsomely captured by that shot. It may well be a
useful news photo, but as a portrait it has nothing of
value.

The reason is pretty simple too, lighting.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old April 16th 10, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-04-16 12:54:09 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

This week's portrait for discussion.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...hp4-16-10f.jpg
(Jennifer Altman, Washington Post)

It would be a delight if it could be discussed without reference to the
man's beliefs, politics or race.

Good luck with that.
You sure pick provocative characters, don't you?

Let's focus on the portrait.

Personaly I think it is not good as a portrait.
I find the lighting, perspective, maybe camera position, just don't
work for me.

Savageduck

Old April 16th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2010-04-16 12:54:09 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

This week's portrait for discussion.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...hp4-16-10f.jpg
(Jennifer Altman, Washington Post)

It would be a delight if it could be discussed without reference to
the man's beliefs, politics or race.

Good luck with that.
You sure pick provocative characters, don't you?

I see the photo first.

Old April 16th 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

alt.photography out.
On 2010-04-16 12:54:09 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

This week's portrait for discussion.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...hp4-16-10f.jpg
(Jennifer Altman, Washington Post)

It would be a delight if it could be discussed without reference to
the man's beliefs, politics or race.

Good luck with that.
You sure pick provocative characters, don't you?

I see the photo first.

Whatever.

Let's focus on the portrait.

Personaly I think it is not good as a portrait.
I find the lighting, perspective, maybe camera position, just don't work
for me.

I'm with duck on both points.

--
john mcwilliams
Old April 16th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-04-16 18:11 , John McWilliams wrote:
alt.photography out.
On 2010-04-16 12:54:09 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

This week's portrait for discussion.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...hp4-16-10f.jpg
(Jennifer Altman, Washington Post)

It would be a delight if it could be discussed without reference to
the man's beliefs, politics or race.

Good luck with that.
You sure pick provocative characters, don't you?

I see the photo first.

Whatever.

Let's focus on the portrait.

Personaly I think it is not good as a portrait.
I find the lighting, perspective, maybe camera position, just don't work
for me.

I'm with duck on both points.

Can't raise an original thought there John?

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old April 16th 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Old April 16th 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Calvin Sambrook

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
This week's portrait for discussion.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...hp4-16-10f.jpg
(Jennifer Altman, Washington Post)

It would be a delight if it could be discussed without reference to the
man's beliefs, politics or race.

Let's focus on the portrait.

It's always so hard to tell whether the photographer is deliberately doing
things a particular way for effect, or is simply incompetent, or competent
but unable to change certain aspects of the shot.

Overall the lighting is of course dismal. At the size presented in the link
it looks as if it may have been done deliberately (and somewhat cruelly) to
emphasize the subject's features, especially around his mouth. Zoom in a
little however and for me that impression is replaced by a feeling that it's
simply incompetence as the shadow areas are not dark enough to be
deliberate. I'd be generous an say it could have been that the lighting was
that way and the photographer could do nothing about it but the marks to the
left of his face are certainly something that could have been dealt with so
for me it's incompetence.

The composition is interesting and works quite well with the initial facing
out of shot completely negated by the eyes looking directly in at the
camera. The slightly lowered camera angle gives the subject power and
statesmanship, someone to be respected. All typical established attributes
of the up-the-nose shot and helped along by that slightly superior, or is it
disdainful, expression on his face.

I'd say this could have been a good shot with more attention to the details
like lighting and post production.

Old April 16th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
John McWilliams

On 2010-04-16 12:54:09 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

This week's portrait for discussion.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...hp4-16-10f.jpg
(Jennifer Altman, Washington Post)

It would be a delight if it could be discussed without reference to
the man's beliefs, politics or race.

Good luck with that.
You sure pick provocative characters, don't you?

I see the photo first.

Whatever.

Let's focus on the portrait.

Personaly I think it is not good as a portrait.
I find the lighting, perspective, maybe camera position, just don't
work
for me.

I'm with duck on both points.

Can't raise an original thought there John?

So eager to make a wee little slight that you double post, Alan?

--
lsmft
Old April 17th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Robert Coe

:
: http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...hp4-16-10f.jpg
: (Jennifer Altman, Washington Post)
:
: It would be a delight if it could be discussed without reference to the
: man's beliefs, politics or race.
:
: Let's focus on the portrait.

Al Sharpton used to be fatter than me, but a couple of years ago he lost about
100 pounds and has kept it off. That's admirable, regardless of his politics.

The portrait itself? I've seen better.

Bob

Dog portrait Cynicor[_6_] Digital Photography 9 January 16th 09 02:07 PM
Portrait MJK Digital Photography 0 May 24th 07 10:14 AM
A portrait of the web moves Photographing People 0 December 2nd 05 04:43 AM
portrait walt mesk 35mm Photo Equipment 1 December 20th 04 02:55 PM
Self Portrait ! D O'Reilly Digital Photography 3 July 4th 04 03:19 PM