What do you think of this image?

Old December 9th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
tcroyer

Default What do you think of this image?

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:08:17 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:
I saw it on Dpreview, one of their challenges. Whenever I see an
image, particularly a manipulated one, I asked myself, "Would I hang
it on a wall where I'd be looking at it every day?"

http://c.img-dpreview.com/0152635-01.jpg

For me , the most distracting thing about it is the uncorrected
diverging verticals. Some correction of that (perhaps not total)
would have been welcome.

And that's where we disagree. I find the diverging verticals contribute a
lot to the general surreal feeling of the photo. The more I look at it, the
more I like it.

--
Tom Royer
If you're not free to fail, you're not free. -- Gene Burns

But overall, I agree. Too much effort has gone into manipulation of
an image that was perhaps not such a good choice of starting point.

But who do we blame for that? Those who develop image editing
software who sell it on the basis that it can turn mediocre images
into masterpieces?

Old December 9th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: ...
:
: http://c.img-dpreview.com/0152635-01.jpg
:
:
: For me , the most distracting thing about it is the uncorrected
: diverging verticals. Some correction of that (perhaps not total)
: would have been welcome.
:
: And that's where we disagree. I find the diverging verticals contribute a
: lot to the general surreal feeling of the photo. The more I look at it, the
: more I like it.

In a wide-angle shot like that, the verticals are going to diverge. If you
"correct" them, something else has to give. (For example, the upper stairway
might start to curve.) I might quibble over which line was positioned as the
true vertical. (Usually you want it to be the one to which your eve is most
immediately drawn.) But I think it would be a mistake to attempt any
perspective correction of this image.

Bob
Old December 10th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Robert Coe wrote:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:15:40 -0500, "tcroyer" wrote:
: ...
: wrote:
[...]

It could be corrected but the perspective adds to the feeling in a
powerful way. We are used to looking up in photos & seeing it taper
toward the top, this angle is very disturbing.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net