cloudy this morning

Old December 26th 13, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PAUL {HAMILTON} ROONEY

Default cloudy this morning

On Thu 26 Dec 2013 00:35, Robert Coe wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 11:10:08 -0500, PeterN
wrote:
: On 12/25/2013 11:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
: On 2013-12-25 15:54:03 +0000, PeterN said:
:
: Shooting conditions were, to say the least, almost ideal. Heavy cloud
: conditions, and low light, making for low contrast images.
: Here's a guy, just caught a fish.
: Be truthful, but gentle with your comments. This is far from a
: finished image.
:
: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/bee145.jpg
:
: The biggest problem I have with that shot is the out of date weather
: report and "fishy" description. the EXIF tells me you shot that on
: August 25, not this morning. So you have had 5 months to work on it.
: What's up with that?
:
:
: Oops, Sorry, wrong link.
: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_Enter%20custom%20name%20hereSinibel%20bir ds_1499.jpg

Florida residents get to enjoy Christmas dinner outdoors.

Bob

So do China residents. But it's f******** cold!

--

Paul Rooney
Old December 26th 13, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-26 08:38:12 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 20:20:07 -0800, Savageduck

On 2013-12-26 01:40:24 +0000, PeterN said:

Forget the link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_sanibel%20birds_1624_rev.jpg

Much

better!

Did

you

try the sharpening mask and see what I was trying to tell yo? I use
that feature in both ACR and LR as part of by regular workflow.

In the line above the following typos are corrected: you for "yo", my for "by".

You could have used the ACR selective adjustment brush on the spread
wings to lighten the shadows slightly, set black/white points, etc.
This is where using the "Camera RAW filter" is useful, in that you can
tale a duplicated adjustment layer, or Smart object back into ACR an
make those tweaks.

...and here we have take for "tale", and for "an".

I must be developing your typing skills. ;-)

Just for fun I only used the "Camera RAW Filter" and the selective
adjustment brush to paint the underside of the wings. Then adjusted the
shadows, contrast, clarity, and a touch more sharpness.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_487.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/PN-O1.jpg

That one seems a little bit overdone to my eyes.

Just toying about with the jpeg, to illustrate a tool. As you know,
there is a big difference between having a very compressed jpeg or a 24
MB NEF to work on. That was the reason to show the ACR mask shot.

Savageduck

Old December 27th 13, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-12-26 02:12:47 +0000, Savageduck

On 2013-12-26 02:05:35 +0000, Savageduck

On 2013-12-26 01:40:24 +0000, PeterN
said:

[...]

I know.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_sanibel%20birds_1625.NEF

--
PeterN
Old December 27th 13, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 12/26/2013 2:58 AM, Noons wrote:
On 26/12/2013 12:40 PM, PeterN wrote:

Forget the link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_sanibel%20birds_1624_rev.jpg

Nice. I've taken the liberty of showing you what can be achieved by
using Focus Magic. Of course: post-post-post-sharpening, still...
Befo
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...FMsampleb4.jpg
After FM, very mild:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...ampleafter.jpg

Give me a tif, larger file to start with and the results might really
surprise you. Of course: say the word and I'll delete the images from
my ISP - just there to illustrate a point.

I did this recently with an Oly EM5 and a CZ50/1.4 (watch url wrap!):
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...2k-d6yvr38.jpg

that's a nice pleasant scene. Unfortunately, you are having the same
basic issue I have. Over exposure in the whites & highlights.

Here is an acceptable overexposure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC5121_4844.jpg

--
PeterN
Old December 27th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-26 08:38:12 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 20:20:07 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

Le Snip

Just for fun I only used the "Camera RAW Filter" and the selective
adjustment brush to paint the underside of the wings. Then adjusted the
shadows, contrast, clarity, and a touch more sharpness.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_487.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/PN-O1.jpg

That one seems a little bit overdone to my eyes.

Just toying about with the jpeg, to illustrate a tool. As you know,
there is a big difference between having a very compressed jpeg or a 24
MB NEF to work on. That was the reason to show the ACR mask shot.

I know.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_sanibel%20birds_1625.NEF

That

was lost in the 404 error of the internet.

Savageduck

Old December 27th 13, 08:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Noons

On 27/12/2013 12:08 PM, PeterN wrote:

I did this recently with an Oly EM5 and a CZ50/1.4 (watch url wrap!):
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...2k-d6yvr38.jpg

that's a nice pleasant scene. Unfortunately, you are having the same
basic issue I have. Over exposure in the whites & highlights.

Very little, but yes. One of the things the Oly can do is handle
overexposure in highlights better than anything else short of film.
There is only a very small area of the bird that has the highlights
blown and that is exactly how I wanted it: little point in showing
detail in what is essentially just pure white. I was more interested in
showing the roundness of the body with just a little smidgeon of shadow
to expose it. The original image is of course a LOT larger and more
detailed, this is just for the web so don't expect lots of minutia. I've
got a slightly different treatment of the raw in another image that may
be more pleasing to your taste, will post it later.

Here is an acceptable overexposure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC5121_4844.jpg

Yeah, piercing detail! But here the issue is also the contrast: the
shadow areas should be a LOT lighter. In fact I think they are. But
unfortunately the high contrast doesn't let us verify that.
Is that a Photoshop paintbrush the fella is using? Looks like a kitchen
brush...
Old December 27th 13, 09:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
M-M

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Forget the link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_sanibel%20birds_1624_rev.jpg

I also had some fun with your photo. Move your cursor over the image to
see the difference:

http://home.comcast.net/~mhmyers/webdir/osp/osp.html

--
m-m
photo gallery:
Old December 27th 13, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-12-26 08:38:12 +0000, Eric Stevens
said:

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 20:20:07 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

Le Snip

Just for fun I only used the "Camera RAW Filter" and the selective
adjustment brush to paint the underside of the wings. Then adjusted
the
shadows, contrast, clarity, and a touch more sharpness.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_487.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/PN-O1.jpg

That one seems a little bit overdone to my eyes.

Just toying about with the jpeg, to illustrate a tool. As you know,
there is a big difference between having a very compressed jpeg or a 24
MB NEF to work on. That was the reason to show the ACR mask shot.

I know.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_sanibel%20birds_1625.NEF

That

was lost in the 404 error of the internet.

I checked the link, it sseems to be correct. Try again.

Old December 27th 13, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 12/27/2013 3:07 AM, Noons wrote:
[...]

The only person you need to please is you.

Old December 27th 13, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 12/27/2013 4:43 AM, M-M wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Forget the link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131225_sanibel%20birds_1624_rev.jpg

I also had some fun with your photo. Move your cursor over the image to
see the difference:

http://home.comcast.net/~mhmyers/webdir/osp/osp.html

Nicely done. I like your version better than mine.

--
PeterN

Cloudy day mmyvusenet[_2_] Digital Photography 2 September 28th 10 06:23 PM
Cloudy Chemistry A R In The Darkroom 1 March 10th 08 07:42 PM
Lightsphere comparison: clear vs. cloudy version? Markus Fuenfrocken Other Photographic Equipment 0 May 8th 06 11:37 AM
cloudy days Beck Digital Photography 8 April 27th 05 07:22 AM
bird photos on cloudy day [email protected] Photographing Nature 16 March 26th 05 04:07 PM