Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

Old June 13th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Yoshi

Default Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

"Sammy" wrote in message
On 12 Jun 2007, Yoshi wrote:

You are clueless. There are no "Nikkormat lenses" At the time the
Nikkormats were produced, Nikon marketed Nikkor lenses for them.
The Series E lenses marketed as "Nikon" weren't rebranded, and were
made to sell with the EM and FG series cameras. Don't spread
misinformation. If you don't know what you are talking about, STFU.

"Sammy" wrote in message
Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor.
It diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was
ok.

Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses.
(I've only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long
time.)

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/leica.html
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which
was very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than
the lenses on similar cameras?

You are clueless. There are no "Nikkormat lenses" At the time the
Nikkormats were produced, Nikon marketed Nikkor lenses for them.
The Series E lenses marketed as "Nikon" weren't rebranded, and were
made to sell with the EM and FG series cameras. Don't spread
misinformation. If you don't know what you are talking about, STFU.

Yoshi

"Nikkormat lenses" can mean lenses which are for a Nikkormat. Is
English your first language?

You apparently didn't even read the original post... or else you are the one
who English comprehension is impaired. The OP specifically mentions
rebranding Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. This precludes your interpretation.

Old June 13th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert A. Cunningham

"=(8)" wrote in message
"Sammy" wrote in message
Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. It
diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was ok.

Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses. (I've
only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long time.)

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/leica.html
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
lenses on similar cameras?

Leica sets the specifications that Panasonic must follow in order to claim
it is a Leica lens. However, Leica does not make the lens Panasonic does.
Having owned both a FZ20 and I still own an FZ30 the lenses are very
impressive. The same is true for the FZ50, however for it the higher
resolution, small sensor and totally crappy noise reduction makes that
camera total junk. However, the Leica lenses are fantastic.

=(8)

Question: I also own the FZ30, but was thinking about getting the FZ50.
Based upon your comments regarding the FZ50, I guess you are saying the FZ30
is a better camera overall. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Robert A. Cunningham

Old June 14th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Rich

On Jun 13, 6:17 pm, "Stan Beck"
wrote:
You are paying $3000 for the red dot, not the camera. It's not how much
something is worth, but rather how much you can get for it.

--

True, you do pay a premium. Which is why the Leica Digilux 3
(Panasonic L1) costs 50% more than the L1.

Old June 14th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Rich

On Jun 13, 6:44 pm, "Robert A. Cunningham"
wrote:
"=(8)" wrote in message

"Sammy" wrote in message
[...]

Big mistake. The FZ50 is where Panasonic caved in to the masses and
ladelled on the NR in-camera. Result?
A 10 meg camera with LESS resolution than the old 8 meg!!

Old June 14th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
notbob

On 2007-06-13, Rich wrote:

made 50mm lens for around $3,000. Do you honestly think anything
remotely related to that kind of engineering and production ends up in
a Chinese made Panasonic?

Sure. China is not Germany and nobody claimed to be selling $3k 50mm
German Leica lenses of Chinese manufacture. What? Leica can't produce a low end
line and sub it out like everyone else?

nb

Old June 14th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Rich

On 2007-06-13, Rich wrote:

made 50mm lens for around $3,000. Do you honestly think anything
remotely related to that kind of engineering and production ends up in
a Chinese made Panasonic?

Sure. China is not Germany and nobody claimed to be selling $3k 50mm
German Leica lenses of Chinese manufacture. What? Leica can't produce a low end
line and sub it out like everyone else?

nb

Sure they can, and they have. But lets not toss around the Leica name
as if their participation amounted to anything more than a badge.
Personally, I would like to see Leica put resources into a good P&S
long zoom lens, just to see what they could come up with, but would
anyone pay the $5000 the resultant camera would cost? And why would
ANYONE pay that for another P&S POS with a 1/2.5" sensor, unless they
were brain-dead?

Old June 14th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
=\(8\)

"Garrot" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:07:07 -0700, Rich wrote:

Panasonic has said that they build the lenses but have to mean Leica's
standards to use their name. Makes sense Leica wouldn't want their name
tarnished with crap lenses. They leave that to Kodak.

=(8)

Sure. Kodak, who uses the Schneider lens name on THEIR cameras. It is
all big con.

Yea, all other lenses besides Leica are crap. I'm pretty certain
now that our little friend is a Panasonic employee who has come here
to do damage control by trying to sell us his bull****.

Until you can show a statement from Kodak or anyone else using a well
respected name that in order for them to put that name on their products
that the lenses have to meet or exceed their quality specifications then
they are questionable. Panasonic and Leica have both stated that in order
for Panasonic to use the Leica name the lenses have to meet Leica
specifications. That is proof. Kodak and others have never made such a
statement. So for all we know they bought the company for the name and just
put it on any old thing. Add to that that for a very long time Kodak used
plastic lenses in their cameras that also adds doubts. I want proof and a
statement saying they have to meet specifications before they can use the
name is that proof.

=(8)

Old June 14th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
=\(8\)

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 13, 12:12 am, "=\(8\)" wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

oups.com...

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...htmlhttp://pan...

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
lenses on similar cameras?

Those Leica lenses are as "Leica" as the lens in an old Kodak.
The biggest con in cheap cameras is namedropping German lens design
companies, that have next to ZERO to do with the lens their name is
stamped on.

You are so full of it Rich. I submit that any company that allows there
names to be slapped on another's products and has no say in the quality
of
the products or the quality of the technology said company is responsible
for is not a company that makes a good product. Leica is simply not going
let Panasonic of anyone else simply slap their name on a product unless
it
meets or exceeds their quality and design requirements.

Sure, which is why we see the same chromatic aberration from their P&S
camera lenses(Panasonics) as everyone else's. Leica with Panasonic,
Schneider on Kodaks, Zeiss on Sony's. It's the use of names for names
sake, and has nothing to do with the actual quality or design of the
lenses on those cheap cameras.

Chromatic aberration means nothing. All lenses are capable of that given the
right circumstances. To use that as your proof just makes you more an ass
and a dumb one too boot!

=(8)

Old June 14th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
=\(8\)

ups.com...
On 2007-06-13, Rich wrote:

Schneider on Kodaks, Zeiss on Sony's. It's the use of names for names
sake, and has nothing to do with the actual quality or design of the
lenses on those cheap cameras.

...and of course you have irrefutable proof of all these accusations
and are going to share them with us, right?

nb

The proof is in the results you see. Leica sells a real West German
made 50mm lens for around $3,000. Do you honestly think anything
remotely related to that kind of engineering and production ends up in
a Chinese made Panasonic?

Panasonic nor Leica ever claimed that they did. What both companies have
claimed is that in order for Panasonic to put the Leica name on their
cameras they lenses have to meet Leica's specifications. If you think that
lenses makers only have one grade of lens then once again that makes your a
dumb ass.

=(8)

Old June 14th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
=\(8\)

ups.com...
On 2007-06-13, Rich wrote:

made 50mm lens for around $3,000. Do you honestly think anything
remotely related to that kind of engineering and production ends up in
a Chinese made Panasonic?

Sure. China is not Germany and nobody claimed to be selling $3k 50mm
German Leica lenses of Chinese manufacture. What? Leica can't produce a
low end
line and sub it out like everyone else?

nb

Sure they can, and they have. But lets not toss around the Leica name
as if their participation amounted to anything more than a badge.
Personally, I would like to see Leica put resources into a good P&S
long zoom lens, just to see what they could come up with, but would
anyone pay the $5000 the resultant camera would cost? And why would
ANYONE pay that for another P&S POS with a 1/2.5" sensor, unless they
were brain-dead?

Once again you miss the whole point of this discussion. We are talking about
how Panasonic is able to use the Leica name and they are able to do so by
meeting the lens specifications laid out by Leica. Show me that Kodak or
anyone else using one of the older highly regarded lenses names has to do
this. You can't as Kodak has never said to use the name they do that they
have to meet a specification set out by the lens people. Sony is the same
way, never a statement. So for all we know Kodak and Sony bought the names
and are just wily nilly stamping them on anything they want hoping to sucker
people in. I want to see a public statement that says they aren't doing
this. And, if you think they wouldn't do this think about Sony's recent
purchase of Minolta. That is how they got the dSLR camera technology so them
buying another company for a name they feel will bring in money or licensing
the name with no quality strings involved doesn't seem that far fetched. If
this isn't the case then they need to make a public statement indicating
that just like Leica and Panasonic have done.

=(8)