Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

Old June 13th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Rich

Default Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

On Jun 12, 1:38 pm, Sammy wrote:
Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. It
diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was ok.

Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses. (I've
only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long time.)

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
lenses on similar cameras?

Those Leica lenses are as "Leica" as the lens in an old Kodak.
The biggest con in cheap cameras is namedropping German lens design
companies, that have next to ZERO to do with the lens their name is
stamped on.

Old June 13th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
=\(8\)

. ..
On 2007-06-12, =(8) wrote:

camera. The Leica name carries a lot of weight in photography circles.

How about the camera? Is it made of metal or is just another heap of
plastic that'll crack the first time it's dropped?

nb

What's the difference between a crack in the plastic and a dent in the
metal. In the end the result is the same. You case is damaged and the guts
maybe as well. People that think plastic cased cameras are cheap are just
idiots. I can you are unaware of it we have plastic now that can stop
bullets. Besides you drop just about any camera and you have most likely
trashed it. Of course there are some rare miracles but not many.

=(8)

Old June 13th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
=\(8\)

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 12, 1:38 pm, Sammy wrote:
Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. It
diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was ok.

Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses. (I've
only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long time.)

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
lenses on similar cameras?

Those Leica lenses are as "Leica" as the lens in an old Kodak.
The biggest con in cheap cameras is namedropping German lens design
companies, that have next to ZERO to do with the lens their name is
stamped on.

You are so full of it Rich. I submit that any company that allows there
names to be slapped on another's products and has no say in the quality of
the products or the quality of the technology said company is responsible
for is not a company that makes a good product. Leica is simply not going to
let Panasonic of anyone else simply slap their name on a product unless it
meets or exceeds their quality and design requirements. To do so is the
fastest way to trash a company. Those that do are already trash.

=(8)

Old June 13th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
David J Taylor[_2_]

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/leica.html
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
lenses on similar cameras?

Yes, they do appear to be better than their Canon equivalents. We have
the slightly larger Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20 and have no hesitation in
recommending them.

David

Old June 13th 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Akiralx

"Sammy" wrote in message
Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. It
diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was ok.

Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses. (I've
only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long time.)

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/leica.html
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
lenses on similar cameras?

I have the Panasonic LX2 and FX01, both with Leica lenses. Most reviewers
seem to find the lenses excellent, though neither camera performs well in
low light/high ISO.

Old June 13th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Stan Beck

Yes, you didn't notice my little " ;-) "

The Panasonic is a nice little camera - I have one. Not as good as my Nikon
D200, but not bad. In the deal, Panasonic uses Nikon lenses, and Leica buys
the case and electronics from Panasonic - both win without having to invest
millions in new manufacturing.

--
The smaller the fine print, the less you will like what it says.

Stan Beck From New Orleans to Brandon MS
To reply, remove 101 from address.
***

"=(8)" wrote in message
"Stan Beck" wrote in message
. ..
An interesting note is that some of Leica compact cameras are almost
identical to Panasonic, because that is what they are, with some minor
spec changes for Leica. Is it not curious that Panasonic would allow
it's cameras to be sold with the Leica name on it? ;-)

It's an OEM partnership.

--

"if" wrote in message
"=\(8\)" wrote:

"Sammy" wrote in message

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which
was very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than
the lenses on similar cameras?

Leica sets the specifications that Panasonic must follow in order to
claim it is a Leica lens. However, Leica does not make the lens
Panasonic does.

According to the blurb on the box, "Leica DC lenses are manufactured
using measurement instruments and quality assurance systems that have
been certified by Leica Camera AG based on the company's quality
standards". I would have thought the lenses were also designed by Leica,
though it doesn't actually state this so I don't know for sure.

I've certainly no complaints about the lens quality, it's just a shame
they chose to team up with a second-tier sensor manufacturer.

Actually not it is not surprising that Panasonic would do that. Especially
if they want to use the Leica name which gives them a much more salable

Old June 13th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Sammy

On 12 Jun 2007, Frank Arthur wrote:

"Sammy" wrote in message
Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as
Nikkor.

Please provide EVIDENCE that Nikon ever "rebranded" Nikkormat
lenses. I think you are full of crap and fabricate as you write.

It diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was
ok.

Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses.
(I've only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long
time.)

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/leica.html
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which
was very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than
the lenses on similar cameras?

Frank, by rebrand I mean that Nikon changed the brand bame of their
entry level cameras and lenses. The old brand name in the 1970s of
Nikkormat was replaced by the Nikon brand.

The Nikkormat EL2 became the Nikon FE.

Check it out.

Apologies accepted.

Old June 13th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Sammy

On 12 Jun 2007, Yoshi wrote:

You are clueless. There are no "Nikkormat lenses" At the time the
Nikkormats were produced, Nikon marketed Nikkor lenses for them.
The Series E lenses marketed as "Nikon" weren't rebranded, and were
made to sell with the EM and FG series cameras. Don't spread
misinformation. If you don't know what you are talking about, STFU.

"Sammy" wrote in message
[...]

Yoshi

"Nikkormat lenses" can mean lenses which are for a Nikkormat. Is
English your first language?
Old June 13th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
=\(8\)

"Akiralx" wrote in message

"Sammy" wrote in message
Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. It
diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was ok.

Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses. (I've
only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long time.)

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/leica.html
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html

I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
lenses on similar cameras?

I have the Panasonic LX2 and FX01, both with Leica lenses. Most reviewers
seem to find the lenses excellent, though neither camera performs well in
low light/high ISO.

That has nothing to do with the lens and more to do with the tiny sensors
that are in most of these cameras. That is why most people that want to do
low light/existing light photography go with a dSLR, the larger sensor makes
all of the difference. But, even then your camera is only as good as your
lens. Leica are excellent the FZ20 being a bit better than the 30, not in
quality but in capability. The 20 is capable much closer focusing and is a
bit faster.

=(8)