sunpack flash - can i use on my canon rebel?

Old October 7th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
graceface

Default sunpack flash - can i use on my canon rebel?

Hey everyone

A friend gave me a Sunpack Auto 355AF hot shoe external flash but am having
trouble getting it to sync up with my Canon Rebel XT. Can they work together?
Is there some secret? I know the flash works, just can't quite get it to
work correctly.

Thanks.

Grace

Old October 8th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gisle Hannemyr

"graceface" u27627@uwe writes:
A friend gave me a Sunpack Auto 355AF hot shoe external flash but am
having trouble getting it to sync up with my Canon Rebel XT. Can
they work together? Is there some secret? I know the flash works,
just can't quite get it to work correctly.

Don't know about that specific model, but i think it is a dedicated
TTL flash (like Canon's EZ series). In that case it is not compatible
with the E-TTL control system of your Rebel.

It may still work in manual mode, but only at full blast, and
you may have to use a pc-adapter to connect it (or tape over
the non-compatible contacts in the shoe).

More about using oddball flashes on Canon's he
http://hannemyr.com/photo/flash.html
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z
Old October 9th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AaronW

graceface wrote:
A friend gave me a Sunpack Auto 355AF hot shoe external flash but am having
trouble getting it to sync up with my Canon Rebel XT. Can they work together?
Is there some secret? I know the flash works, just can't quite get it to
work correctly.

You can try Sigma EF 500 DG for E-TTL, or Sunpak 383 for non-TTL auto.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#flash