Nikon RAW pictures on Archos PMA 430 ?

Old August 10th 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Nikon RAW pictures on Archos PMA 430 ?

Hello everybody,

do you think that by any chance it would be possible to view NEF -
files on that Archos PMA430 ? By default it does not handle
RAW-formats, but maybe there is a possibillity to install an
application, that could handle this ?

Thanks and Cheers

Marc

Old August 10th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to J. Clarke :
wrote:

Hello everybody,

do you think that by any chance it would be possible to view NEF -
files on that Archos PMA430 ? By default it does not handle
RAW-formats, but maybe there is a possibillity to install an
application, that could handle this ?

It's a Linux device and there are Linux applications that handle RAW so in
principle it can, but in practice it may not have enough RAM or processor
power to run the application and if the application has not been ported to
that architecture getting it to work may be a great deal of work.

If it is linux based, and if it has a C compiler, then dcraw can
be used to pre-process the RAW images (including NEF) to alternative
formats.

Note that it takes an unusually long time to compile dcraw these
days -- but it does the job. It probably takes so long because it is a
monolithic program, instead of made from separate modules which are
linked after individual compilation.

"Dcraw" is a free downloadable source code, so compiling for
various hardware architectures should be no problem. I've compiled in
on Pentium, and Sun SPARC and UltraSPARC machines with no problems. It
does now use a library routine which you may also need to download and
compile -- but you can compile without that -- and I think that you
won't need it for Nikon NEF raws.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Old August 27th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Hi,

I did not find a way to get those things to work. I sent it back
(mainly, because the USB-hostport is only USB 2.0 fullspeed), and got a
archos av420 with an integrated cardreader.
It can also not show RAWs, but I now shoot in RAW+JPEG. And it is great
for listening music. :-)

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers,

Marc