what's the best lens for my purposes???

Old August 6th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default what's the best lens for my purposes???

what is "usm"? and is it important if i want mf?

i read this "here is no USM focusing motor (on the kit model) which
means there is no FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing. "

Old August 6th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

wrote:

i have a wealth of info. i've narrowed things down. i will go to b&h
with a cf card, take some quickie samples. i'll look at the rebel
xt(price), 30d, a comparable nikon(always loved nikon), and the sony
10mp(10mp is perfect, 8 is JUST enough) if i think a dslr is too much
hassle. i'll try a sigma but someone mentioned af problems(in case mf
sucks).

Something to bear in mind is that you can get split prism focusing screens
for most of the Nikon line and the Rebel XT right now (or about a month
from now actually, the manufacturer is backlogged) but the one for the 30D
is not out yet--the one for the 20D may work but the manufacturer doesn't
say so and I've heard that it doesn't focus accurately in the 30D. The
Sony is too new to have one available.

though i was set on only mf use, another poster mentioned the
difficulties in performing mf. for the life of me, i don't know why an
easy mf is so difficult to accomplish given that i'm dealing with a
dslr. i always thought dslr's offered kind of old school functionality
+ digital technology.

i was at the sigma or canon site(can't remember) and they're coming out
with a terrific zoom macro i think, that is af but has MF FINE
TUNING!!! but it's $9xx!!! this sounds like such a basic need,,,to be
able to fine tune with a ring that offers plenty of leeway(don't some
binoculars have that feature?), that i don't know why it isn't more
common place. I sure as hell would love it!

this has been a great experience. photographers REALLY have to know
their craft. thanks all!!!

If you are going to be in B&H, ask them to show you a 45mm TS/E and to
explain what it does. It may be gross overkill for what you are doing or
it may be just what the doctor ordered--you won't know until you see one.
Expensive lens but used with a good stitching program it can very quickly
put together 20+ megapixel images using an 8 megapixel camera.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old August 6th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

split screen is an option i mentioned earlier, and you mentioned
katzoptics. they didn't show a split screen for thr rebel.....so it's
in the works? my only problem with the nikon is they don't have
anything comparable in price to the rebel xt. since i consider an 8mp a
"tweener", i don't want to pay that much. ultimately, a 10 or 12 will
prbably be all i need unless i start doing posters

all i need is enough to fill a full page add, which an 8mp just barely
meets.

my view, if mf is so difficult natively to a dslr, then what's the
attraction?,,,,interchangeable lenses??

Old August 6th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

wrote:

split screen is an option i mentioned earlier, and you mentioned
katzoptics. they didn't show a split screen for thr rebel..... so it's
in the works?

The Digital Rebel XT is also known as the 350D and katzeyeoptics does have a
focusing screen for that model.

my only problem with the nikon is they don't have
anything comparable in price to the rebel xt. since i consider an 8mp a
"tweener", i don't want to pay that much. ultimately, a 10 or 12 will
prbably be all i need unless i start doing posters

all i need is enough to fill a full page add, which an 8mp just barely
meets.

my view, if mf is so difficult natively to a dslr, then what's the
attraction?,,,,interchangeable lenses??

Interchangeable lenses, rapid focus, short shutter delay, large sensor
allowing use of high ISOs with low noise, just to name a few.

Old August 6th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

J. Clarke wrote:
Are you using the standard focusing screen?

Yup, I know it is not to many peoples liking but it work ok for me.
Takes some getting use to however, after my film Nikon with a very nice
focusing screen.

Scott

Old August 6th 06, 10:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bart van der Wolf

wrote in message
ups.com...
what is "usm"? and is it important if i want mf?

i read this "here is no USM focusing motor (on the kit model) which
means there is no FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing. "

See:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/room/f_index.html and click
on USM on the left, and no it isn't important if you only want to
focus manually.

However, the camera's autofocus may outperform your ability to acquire
optimal focus. Most standard viewscreens are designed more for
brightness, rather than for manual focus. Things do get a little
easier if you use an eyepiece magnifier accessory such as the "Angle
Finder C".

--
Bart

Old August 9th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

one last and very late question

does a zoom lens in macro mode give me the same flat field as a normal
macro?

btw, if anyone cares. after having looked at the sample pics at
steve's, and pixelating in on the m&m still lifes, i've come down to
the lumix fz30 or 50,,,or the rebel xt. eliminating the now
discontinued 8700 and d50. i liked the rebel xt's rendering of the
photo of the orangatan best. however the other cameras did a better job
with the text on the magazine stack,,,but i think the pic of the ape is
closer to my paintings' properties.

does anyone know of any other sites that do downloadable image samples
like steve's???

the only problem with steve's is a lot of the samples were taken under
different situations and iso's. no real consistancy.

Old August 9th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

wrote:

one last and very late question

does a zoom lens in macro mode give me the same flat field as a normal
macro?

In general no.

btw, if anyone cares. after having looked at the sample pics at
steve's, and pixelating in on the m&m still lifes, i've come down to
the lumix fz30 or 50,,,or the rebel xt. eliminating the now
discontinued 8700 and d50. i liked the rebel xt's rendering of the
photo of the orangatan best. however the other cameras did a better job
with the text on the magazine stack,,,but i think the pic of the ape is
closer to my paintings' properties.

Be careful with this kind of test. Remember that the d50 and the Digital
Rebel XT are interchangeable-lens cameras and such tests are seldom
performed using the optimal lens for the purpose at hand. The Steve's
Digicam test was conducted using one of the worst lenses in the Canon
line--a good macro will be sharper at the extreme border and wide open than
that lens is on center and stopped down. And the border on that lens is
quite soft.

http://www.photozone.de, http://www.dpreview.com