55mm 'pinch' type len caps?

Old August 8th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
T i m

Default 55mm 'pinch' type len caps?

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:19:53 +0100, Neil Ellwood
wrote:

[1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)

Have a look on www.ebay.co.uk

I have and am 'watching' a pair of what looks like a suitable solution
but they are in Hong Kong ..?

Not that I have to go there to get them of course but I would prefer a
UK supplier (if the price is right) .. also my PalPal account has
expired (objected to eBay earning even more money since they now own
it) .. ;-(

But if all else fails I'll get a mate to buy them for me ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Old August 9th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

T i m wrote:

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:16:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Oooops .. musta hit summat by accident and it sent unfinished ;-(

Obvious thing to do is find a camera with the type of cap you want and the
right filter thread and order a replacement from the manufacturer.

What I was going to say was I sorta suggested the same whilst in the
shop buying the WA lens but it didn't seem many cameras in stock that
used such a cap (and the one that did was a Minolta and he suggested
it would probably be expensive *if* you could actually still get one).

In the
US one could go to Best Buy or Circuit City or the like and look at a
variety of models--presumably there's an equivalent in the UK.

Possibly, though noting within easy reach of us here (the local camera
shop is literally a short walk to the top of the road and after that
I've no idea .. not being into photography for many years now). ;-(

If the cap
for the Panasonic FZ30 is designed like the one for the FZ7, it should do
(the one for the FZ7 actually has no trouble with a 55mm thread even
though
it's nominally 52mm--the FZ30 is 55mm). Panasonic lists it for $3.41 on
their US parts-ordering site, not sure how one orders parts in the UK.
The part number is VYK1P30 if that's any help.

It might well be .. ;-)

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/icat/dmcfz30ebk

As long as they have them back in stock and depending on the postage
etc ..?

So, for the 'ideal' solution this depends on the cap for the FZ30
being the same pinch style as the FZ7 ..?

Yes. I tried to find a picture of one but no luck.

All the best and thanks for the lateral thinking ;-)

T i m

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old August 9th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred McKenzie

In article , T i m
wrote:

Hi All,

My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
the outside grip style of the Fuji.

Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.

Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?

T i m-

As you noticed, the Sony Alpha 100 Kit Lens, as well as the one with the
Konica-Minolta 5D, has the front-squeeze lens cap.

I also have a couple of Tamron lenses that have that style lenscap. It
allows you to remove and attach the cap even though their lens shades are
installed. The Tamron 100-300mm f/5-6.3 zoom has a 55mm cap.

If there are any older camera stores near you, ask them if they have a
collection of orphaned lens caps. You might be lucky enough to find what
you are looking for.

Fred
Old August 9th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu

On 2006-08-08, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
the outside grip style of the Fuji.

Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.

Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)

If you have a "RitzCamera" in the UK, they carry a shallow pinch style
lens cap. I had to get one because adding uv filter made the Sony
cap not fit; don't know what the "right price" would be but it wasn't
high for me.
Old August 9th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
T i m

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:48:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

So, for the 'ideal' solution this depends on the cap for the FZ30
being the same pinch style as the FZ7 ..?

Yes. I tried to find a picture of one but no luck.

Well thanks for trying .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m