D70 and Lithium battery

Old August 6th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Iceberg Concept, Inc.

Default D70 and Lithium battery

I keep a back-up battery pak (non-rechargeable) in my bag in case my regular
battery goes down. However, the alternate battery source fails to 'energize'
the D70.

Both batteries are fully ready to go and charged.

Why does one pak work and the other doesn't?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Gordon

Old August 6th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

Iceberg Concept, Inc. wrote:

I keep a back-up battery pak (non-rechargeable) in my bag in case my
regular battery goes down. However, the alternate battery source fails to
'energize' the D70.

Both batteries are fully ready to go and charged.

Why does one pak work and the other doesn't?

Thanks in advance for any info.

There isn't any non-rechargeable battery pack for the D70 except the
third-party vertical grip. What, exactly, with brands and model numbers,
are you trying to use?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old August 6th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
e303s3006

Get a second OEM battery. I don't go anywhere without it!. I get great
battery life with the OEM battery. Other mfgr's should take notice. For the
relatively inexpensive price of a battery, and the life of same, I'd not
mess around with the
alternate batteries. my 2c.
As far as why it won't crank up the D70, I'd guess the battery doesnt have
the horses to do it. I'd be afraid I'd to damage to the camera, by running a
"brown out".
I'd ditch it.
Randall

Old August 6th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Haar

On 2006/8/6 12:56 PM, "J. Clarke" wrote:

Iceberg Concept, Inc. wrote:

I keep a back-up battery pak (non-rechargeable) in my bag in case my
regular battery goes down. However, the alternate battery source fails to
'energize' the D70.

There isn't any non-rechargeable battery pack for the D70 except the
third-party vertical grip. What, exactly, with brands and model numbers,
are you trying to use?

By my D70 came with a Nikon MS-D70 battery holder that uses two CR-2
batteries.

Old August 6th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Iceberg Concept, Inc.

The non-rechargable battery holder I use is the Nikon MS-D70 battery holder
that uses two CR-2 batteries. THAT's the one that doesn't work ...even
though the batteries are fully charged.

Gordon

Old August 7th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

Iceberg Concept, Inc. wrote:

I keep a back-up battery pak (non-rechargeable) in my bag in case my
regular battery goes down. However, the alternate battery source fails
to 'energize' the D70.

There isn't any non-rechargeable battery pack for the D70 except the
third-party vertical grip. What, exactly, with brands and model numbers,
are you trying to use?

By my D70 came with a Nikon MS-D70 battery holder that uses two CR-2
batteries.

Two? According to B&H it holds _three_.

Old August 8th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Haar

Iceberg Concept, Inc. wrote:

I keep a back-up battery pak (non-rechargeable) in my bag in case my
regular battery goes down. However, the alternate battery source fails
to 'energize' the D70.

There isn't any non-rechargeable battery pack for the D70 except the
third-party vertical grip. What, exactly, with brands and model numbers,
are you trying to use?

By my D70 came with a Nikon MS-D70 battery holder that uses two CR-2
batteries.

You are right. I have never used it since I prefer a spare rechargeable
battery. In any case, I was responding to the statement that there was no
battery pack for the D70 that used non-rechargeable batteries.

Old August 8th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Iceberg Concept, Inc. :
I keep a back-up battery pak (non-rechargeable) in my bag in case my regular
battery goes down. However, the alternate battery source fails to 'energize'
the D70.

Both batteries are fully ready to go and charged.

But you said "non-rechargeable".

Why does one pak work and the other doesn't?

What is the nature of your non-rechargeable battery pack? Is
this the special holder which will use three CR-2 cells in series
instead of the Li-Ion battery pack? Those are supposed to have very
good shelf life, and I have a loaded one which I have not yet actually
used, so I can't tell you for sure that it works.

However -- there is a special projection on that holder which
pokes a switch in the camera body to switch it to accommodate the
slightly higher voltage. If this projection is broken off, I don't know
what damage it might do to the camera.

I don't know of any other holders for this purpose -- unless
you are talking about one of the "vertical grips" made by third-party
suppliers, which power it from (I believe) a number of AA cells.

And if you have one of these -- which kind of cells are you
using in it? The Alkalines can deliver more current than the standard
Zinc Carbon ones (which are pretty hard to find these days, I believe),
and the NiMH cells (which have a lower voltage) are capable of more
current than then Alkalines. I believe that the NiCad cells fall
somewhere between the Alkalines and the NiMH in current capability, and
a bit lower in voltage (1.2V instead of 1.25V -- both of which are
lower than a fresh Alkaline, which is around 1.54V or so).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old August 8th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Robert Haar :
On 2006/8/6 12:56 PM, "J. Clarke" wrote:

[ ... ]

There isn't any non-rechargeable battery pack for the D70 except the
third-party vertical grip. What, exactly, with brands and model numbers,
are you trying to use?

By my D70 came with a Nikon MS-D70 battery holder that uses two CR-2
batteries.

Aha -- *there* is the problem. It needs *three* CR-2 cells --
two along the length, and a third at right angles at the end opposite
the contact terminals. If you have only two CR-2 cells in it, it is an
open circuit, and will provide nothing to the camera body.

O.K. I just popped mine in and tried it (It has had the CR-2s
in it for a few months, now), and it had no problems with a shot
including the pop-up flash for more drain.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564