Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

Old February 19th 18, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_10_]

Default Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

ultred ragnusen wrote:
wrote:

When opening a JPG, Fastone insists on an obnoxious full screen mode.
I couldn't find a way to turn that horrid always-full-screen setting off.

Try the Associated Image setting. The default is "Full Screen". Change it.

https://s14.postimg.org/ftqehnrld/faststone.gif

Paul
Old February 19th 18, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
android

ultred ragnusen Wrote in message:
wrote:

But the goal is a simpler to use Windows free aspect ratio crop, at least
simpler (and faster) than Microsoft Photos or The Gimp.

ImageMagic should do that on the fly from the command line...

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Thank you for that on-topic suggestion of Imagemagick's "transform"
command, even as I think the helpful suggestion from the alt.comp.freeware
poster of how to force the aspect ratio in an Irfanview crop is likely to
be the easiest we'll find for Windows aspect-ratio cropping.

I think of Imagemagick as a command-line tool, but your suggestion deserves
adequate exploration, where the command of choice seems to be the 'crop'.
https://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/crop/#crop

Here is an example from that Imagemagick manpage:
convert rose: -crop 40x30+90+60 crop_miss.gif

This seems useful particularly as a batch command, when you know the
position of the crop you wish to make on a bunch of files (which isn't the
case in my original question).

However, it's a useful alternative that should be noted, as ImageMagick is
known to be powerful and fast freeware.

I Ducked Imagemagick and Windows GUI and found this:

http://codecpack.co/download/ImBatch.html

I'm more of a Mac person and have not tried it but...
--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old February 19th 18, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Mayayana

"JJ" wrote

| (What _is_ the "native" format for
| Macs then?)
|
| pdf
|
| Yeah, right...

Ask an AppleSeed a technical question....

On the other hand, PDF seems a suitable
format for Macs: Expensive, locked, and
being the best tool for a very narrow range
of mostly commercial uses.

Old February 19th 18, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| (What _is_ the "native" format for
| Macs then?)
|
| pdf
|
| Yeah, right...

Ask an AppleSeed a technical question....

not only will they correctly answer it, but they won't resort to
insults.

On the other hand, PDF seems a suitable
format for Macs: Expensive, locked, and
being the best tool for a very narrow range
of mostly commercial uses.

all false. pdf is an iso standard and apple is not paying licensing
fees, one of the main reasons why they switched from dps to pdf.

as usual, you do not understand what you're babbling about.
Old February 19th 18, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| On the other hand, PDF seems a suitable
| format for Macs: Expensive, locked, and
| being the best tool for a very narrow range
| of mostly commercial uses.
|
| all false. pdf is an iso standard and apple is not paying licensing
| fees

Who said anything about licensing fees? I
don't mean expensive as in paying royalties.
I mean expensive in that one needs software
to make them and the best software is very
expensive. By contrast, one can write HTML
or DOCs or TXT for free.

(I'm not even getting into the strangeness
of you thinking PDF is an image format.)

PDF has one specific strength: Accurate printing.
It's for things that need to be printed, like
legal or business docs.

It's overused for another reason: Because it's
relatively immutable compared to things like
DOCs or TXT or HTML. Thus it's preferred for
commercial documents where the author wants
to prevent change to the content.

In other words, it's mainly a format for use in
business and official docs, to be shared with
"consumers".

Old February 19th 18, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

"nospam" wrote

| On the other hand, PDF seems a suitable
| format for Macs: Expensive, locked, and
| being the best tool for a very narrow range
| of mostly commercial uses.
|
| all false. pdf is an iso standard and apple is not paying licensing
| fees

Who said anything about licensing fees? I
don't mean expensive as in paying royalties.
I mean expensive in that one needs software
to make them and the best software is very
expensive. By contrast, one can write HTML
or DOCs or TXT for free.

no additional software or payments of any sort are required.

you *clearly* don't understand how pdf is used in mac os and how it
fits into the grand scheme of things, and what's worse, you aren't
interested in learning anything.

(I'm not even getting into the strangeness
of you thinking PDF is an image format.)

i said it's the native file format, and it is.

PDF has one specific strength: Accurate printing.
It's for things that need to be printed, like
legal or business docs.

pdf is *much* more than for printing. much, much more.

pdfs can contain video with sound. how do you plan on printing that?

the rest of your ignorant babble snipped.
Old February 19th 18, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

In message , Mayayana
writes:
"nospam" wrote

| On the other hand, PDF seems a suitable
| format for Macs: Expensive, locked, and
| being the best tool for a very narrow range
| of mostly commercial uses.

(-:
[]
(I'm not even getting into the strangeness
of you thinking PDF is an image format.)

I can remember when a lot of scanning software, especially that
accompanying scanners aimed at office use, _did_ _default_ to .pdf -
even to the extent that it was sometimes quite difficult to make it
produce anything else (though I don't _think_ I came across one where
you couldn't at all).

I suppose it did have _some_ justification where the scanner had a sheet
feeder. The _other_ justification usually given at the time, that
everybody has a .pdf reader but not everyone has a viewer for the image
formats, I never accepted - it might have been true, but there were even
then free image viewers easily available.
[]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"Dook, that was great but I think the line needs
awe. Can you do it again, giving it just a little awe?"

"Aw, truly this man is the son of God."
(recounted in Radio Times, 30 March-5 April 2013.)
Old February 19th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Mayayana

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote

| I can remember when a lot of scanning software, especially that
| accompanying scanners aimed at office use, _did_ _default_ to .pdf -

My latest all-in-one is like that. Older
scanners I had came with TWAIN applets
that had to be used with graphic editors.
The Envy is dumbed down. It defaults to
save or "email" as JPG or PDF! I have to
get into the settings to get a BMP. Even
then, I can't import directly to PSP. I have
to let it save a file to disk and then open
that.
But I think of that as a recent development.
In a way I'm surprised it doesn't have "bluetooth
this to your phone", for posting to Instagram.
Email is so 00s.

| The _other_ justification usually given at the time, that
| everybody has a .pdf reader but not everyone has a viewer for the image
| formats,

I guess there's probably some truth in that.
Nospam proclaiming PDF the default format of
Mac is a good example. Most people have had
Adobe Reader shoved down their throat via
numerous software installs, but Windows has
never had much of a built-in image viewer.

Adobe have been very insidous in their spreading
of Acrobat Reader. It's like Flash and Microsoft's
ActiveX: A very clever and useful invention, but
used to build monopoly, and neither company took
responsibility when it turned out their inventions
were malware magnets. Even now Adobe links PDF
with javascript functionality, decades after they
should have known better.

Old February 19th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| The _other_ justification usually given at the time, that
| everybody has a .pdf reader but not everyone has a viewer for the image
| formats,

I guess there's probably some truth in that.
Nospam proclaiming PDF the default format of
Mac is a good example. Most people have had
Adobe Reader shoved down their throat via
numerous software installs, but Windows has
never had much of a built-in image viewer.

you still don't get it.
Old February 19th 18, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_10_]

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Mayayana
writes:
"nospam" wrote

| On the other hand, PDF seems a suitable
| format for Macs: Expensive, locked, and
| being the best tool for a very narrow range
| of mostly commercial uses.

(-:
[]
(I'm not even getting into the strangeness
of you thinking PDF is an image format.)

I can remember when a lot of scanning software, especially that
accompanying scanners aimed at office use, _did_ _default_ to .pdf -
even to the extent that it was sometimes quite difficult to make it
produce anything else (though I don't _think_ I came across one where
you couldn't at all).

I suppose it did have _some_ justification where the scanner had a sheet
feeder. The _other_ justification usually given at the time, that
everybody has a .pdf reader but not everyone has a viewer for the image
formats, I never accepted - it might have been true, but there were even
then free image viewers easily available.
[]

But that's an abuse of PDF. It's simply a wrapper around an image
format. You're relying on whatever the best compression options
are available in the PDF, which might not be as good as the
best separately-available image format.

The main advantage of the PDF, is for lazy users who will not
be repurposing the scan. The PDF can be easily printed with
a useful scale, on the first try to a printer, without wasting
paper. If you give a user an image file, it might take a couple
tries before they get all the printing settings right. And for the
people who just scan and attach a multi-sheet scan to an email,
look at the convenience factor. It's less useful if you want to
reuse the images for some reason.

Paul