Various JPG File Names

Old June 5th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mortman

Default Various JPG File Names

I recently took about 700 pictures with my Canon 20D using a single 2Gig
card.
When I uploaded the files to my computer I noticed that some file names
were of the type _MG_1242.JPG while some others were something like
IMG_1427.JPG.
Why do most file names begin with an underscore _, while others are
preceded with the letter I (as in IMG). Why are they labelled
differently? How do the files differ?
Old June 5th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

mortman wrote:
I recently took about 700 pictures with my Canon 20D using a single 2Gig
card.
When I uploaded the files to my computer I noticed that some file names
were of the type _MG_1242.JPG while some others were something like
IMG_1427.JPG.
Why do most file names begin with an underscore _, while others are
preceded with the letter I (as in IMG). Why are they labelled
differently? How do the files differ?

When's the last time you formatted the card? What other Canon do you or
did you shoot with?

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 5th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:47:34 -0400, mortman wrote:

When I uploaded the files to my computer I noticed that some file names
were of the type _MG_1242.JPG while some others were something like
IMG_1427.JPG.
Why do most file names begin with an underscore _, while others are
preceded with the letter I (as in IMG). Why are they labelled
differently? How do the files differ?

Canon's manual indicates that when the color space is set to Adobe
RGB, the file name will start with an underscore character.

Old June 5th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

ASAAR wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:47:34 -0400, mortman wrote:

When I uploaded the files to my computer I noticed that some file names
were of the type _MG_1242.JPG while some others were something like
IMG_1427.JPG.
Why do most file names begin with an underscore _, while others are
preceded with the letter I (as in IMG). Why are they labelled
differently? How do the files differ?

Canon's manual indicates that when the color space is set to Adobe
RGB, the file name will start with an underscore character.

No fair, ASAAR! You read the manual.
Allen
Old June 5th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"ASAAR" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:47:34 -0400, mortman wrote:

When I uploaded the files to my computer I noticed that some file names
were of the type _MG_1242.JPG while some others were something like
IMG_1427.JPG.
Why do most file names begin with an underscore _, while others are
preceded with the letter I (as in IMG). Why are they labelled
differently? How do the files differ?

Canon's manual indicates that when the color space is set to Adobe
RGB, the file name will start with an underscore character.

Nikon uses the same convention.
Jim

Old June 5th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 14:35:15 GMT, "Jim"
wrote:

"ASAAR" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:47:34 -0400, mortman wrote:

When I uploaded the files to my computer I noticed that some file names
were of the type _MG_1242.JPG while some others were something like
IMG_1427.JPG.
Why do most file names begin with an underscore _, while others are
preceded with the letter I (as in IMG). Why are they labelled
differently? How do the files differ?

Canon's manual indicates that when the color space is set to Adobe
RGB, the file name will start with an underscore character.

Nikon uses the same convention.

I think you'll find that most do - that's what makes it a
convention ;-)

--
John Bean
Old June 5th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mortman

John Bean wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 14:35:15 GMT, "Jim"
wrote:

"ASAAR" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:47:34 -0400, mortman wrote:

When I uploaded the files to my computer I noticed that some file names
were of the type _MG_1242.JPG while some others were something like
IMG_1427.JPG.
Why do most file names begin with an underscore _, while others are
preceded with the letter I (as in IMG). Why are they labelled
differently? How do the files differ?

Canon's manual indicates that when the color space is set to Adobe
RGB, the file name will start with an underscore character.

Nikon uses the same convention.

I think you'll find that most do - that's what makes it a
convention ;-)

The color space was set to Adobe RGB for all the pictures so why do
filenames differ?
Old June 5th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

wrote:

"ASAAR" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:47:34 -0400, mortman wrote:

When I uploaded the files to my computer I noticed that some file
names
were of the type _MG_1242.JPG while some others were something like
IMG_1427.JPG.
Why do most file names begin with an underscore _, while others are
preceded with the letter I (as in IMG). Why are they labelled
differently? How do the files differ?

Canon's manual indicates that when the color space is set to Adobe
RGB, the file name will start with an underscore character.

Nikon uses the same convention.

I think you'll find that most do - that's what makes it a
convention ;-)

The color space was set to Adobe RGB for all the pictures so why do
filenames differ?

Perhaps you could reply to the first post.

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 5th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"mortman" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

"ASAAR" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:47:34 -0400, mortman wrote:

When I uploaded the files to my computer I noticed that some file
names
were of the type _MG_1242.JPG while some others were something like
IMG_1427.JPG.
Why do most file names begin with an underscore _, while others are
preceded with the letter I (as in IMG). Why are they labelled
differently? How do the files differ?

Canon's manual indicates that when the color space is set to Adobe
RGB, the file name will start with an underscore character.

Nikon uses the same convention.

I think you'll find that most do - that's what makes it a
convention ;-)

The color space was set to Adobe RGB for all the pictures so why do
filenames differ?

What does PS say the profile is?
It could be that the camera saved them as sRGB because the camera software
isn't all it is supposed to be or because the user told the camera to save
them as sRGB.

Jim

Old June 5th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mortman

Jim wrote:
"mortman" wrote in message
. ..
John Bean wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 14:35:15 GMT, "Jim"
wrote:

"ASAAR" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I realize that some pictures were taken in Program mode while others
were in Landscape. I think that is the cause of the discrepancy.