General purpose lense for 20D

Old April 12th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default General purpose lense for 20D

Hi All

I am after a good general purpose lense for my Canon 20D I have a Sigma
18-50 DC lens (which I want to replace) and a 70-300 DG Macro (which I
like). I want something which still has the wide angle capability,was
thinking maybe the Canon EFS 17-85 has anyone had experience with this
lense?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated

Steve

Old April 12th 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Steve

I have paired up my 20D with the 28 - 135 IS and find that apart from
missing out on the wide end of town it is very versatile as a keep on the
camera lens. I also just purchased the 24 - 105 L F4 L and that goes on the
1D. This is even a better lens than the 28 - 135 but is also much more
expensive. I would stick with the 28 - 135 if you can get by without the
wide end. I have a 17 - 40 for wide shots but it is not use as much as the
two zooms mentioned above.

regards

Don

Old April 12th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Dear Steve,

I have the Canon EF-S 17-85 lens for my 20D and really like it. Although
it's not super wide at 17mm, it allows you to be able to lets say, frame a
group of people sitting in a dinning room or when you're standing nearby a
mob of people. The focus is quick and the IS helps. The only drawback is
that the S series lenses can't use the Canon EF Extenders.

Cheers,
Dave

Old April 12th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi All

I am after a good general purpose lense for my Canon 20D I have a Sigma
18-50 DC lens (which I want to replace) and a 70-300 DG Macro (which I
like). I want something which still has the wide angle capability,was
thinking maybe the Canon EFS 17-85 has anyone had experience with this
lense?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated

The first lens I bought was the 28-135 IS. The quality is excellent when
compared to its cost. I also have the 17-40 L which seems to be on my
camera more often lately. The image quality of the L glass is fantastic but
I find 40mm too short. My next lens will be the 24-105L IS. I think this
would be the perfect general purpose lens.

--

Rob
"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

Old April 13th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in message
"Steve" wrote in message
Hi All

I am after a good general purpose lense for my Canon 20D I have a Sigma
18-50 DC lens (which I want to replace) and a 70-300 DG Macro (which I
like). I want something which still has the wide angle capability,was
thinking maybe the Canon EFS 17-85 has anyone had experience with this
lense?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated

The first lens I bought was the 28-135 IS. The quality is excellent when
compared to its cost. I also have the 17-40 L which seems to be on my
camera more often lately. The image quality of the L glass is fantastic
but I find 40mm too short. My next lens will be the 24-105L IS. I think
this would be the perfect general purpose lens.

You'll love the 24-105 IS, we rented one over the weekend, and we loved it.
The only drawback is that the 5D gets an enhanced AF focus point at f2.8,
which we lost (compared to the 24-70 f2.8L) but 2 stops net, hand held,
advantage, is too much to ignore. That one's getting bought next month...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old April 13th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Steve wrote:
I am after a good general purpose lense for my Canon 20D I have a Sigma
18-50 DC lens (which I want to replace) and a 70-300 DG Macro (which I
like). I want something which still has the wide angle capability,was
thinking maybe the Canon EFS 17-85 has anyone had experience with this
lense?

Canon 50/1.8
Canon 28/2.8
Olympus 0.7x
Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

Macro lens roy Digital Photography 9 December 28th 05 01:12 PM
Which zoom lense to buy for Nikon D70s ? Sidney Friedman Digital SLR Cameras 35 December 20th 05 10:43 PM
Lense recommendation (alternative to Kit lense) for Rebel XT eh Digital Photography 10 October 28th 05 07:15 PM
Nikon D70 and Nikkor 28-200 3.5-5.6D lense Maintane Digital SLR Cameras 7 February 20th 05 12:46 AM
Lense, f-stop, focal point... DOF.... David J. Littleboy Digital Photography 2 July 15th 04 04:24 AM