How to change file names?

Old February 22nd 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default How to change file names?

That is how to change, using Windows XP or Another prog, a number of file
names in one go as apposed to one at a time?

I have 300 files named P1001.jpg - P1300.jpg

How to change to P1001A.jpg - P1300A.jpg

or, better still....

to T1.jpg - T300.jpg

Thanks,
John

Old February 22nd 06, 09:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"John Smith" wrote in message
That is how to change, using Windows XP or Another prog, a number of file
names in one go as apposed to one at a time?

I use ACDSee to do that.

Old February 22nd 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:36:18 -0000, John Smith wrote:

I have 300 files named P1001.jpg - P1300.jpg

How to change to P1001A.jpg - P1300A.jpg

A program isn't needed for relatively simple renames. In a DOS
window, type

REN ?????.* ?????A.* Enter

or, better still....

to T1.jpg - T300.jpg

I was afraid of that. Short of doing it with a program, you
could repeat the above command line three times (don't change the
order), assuming that these should also be renamed by appending an
'A', like so:

REN ????.jpg ????A.jpg Enter
REN ???.jpg ???A.jpg Enter
REN ??.jpg ??A.jpg Enter

If this would have to be done often, a batch file could be used,
and command line parameters could be used for added flexibility.

Old February 22nd 06, 09:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Goto http://musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/ and download the excellent
CKRename...
This allows you to batch rename, add incrementing numbers ets. etc.
It's free too ;-)

Guy

Old February 22nd 06, 10:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

John Smith wrote:

: or, better still....

: to T1.jpg - T300.jpg

One suggestion. In this case it would be preferable to use T001.jpg to
T300.jpg. Otherwise the T199 will come just before T2 in the file
listings. But if you keep the same number of digits for all the numeric
"fields" the files will list in fully numeric order easily.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old February 22nd 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:36:18 -0000, "John Smith" wrote:

That is how to change, using Windows XP or Another prog, a number of file
names in one go as apposed to one at a time?

I have 300 files named P1001.jpg - P1300.jpg

How to change to P1001A.jpg - P1300A.jpg

or, better still....

to T1.jpg - T300.jpg

Select them all and hit F2

Old February 22nd 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

This is the best renamer I know.
http://www.123renamer.com/
--
Dimitris M

Old February 22nd 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

http://www.1-4a.com/rename/

Old February 22nd 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Steve wrote on Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:36:25 GMT:

?? That is how to change, using Windows XP or Another prog,
?? a number of file names in one go as apposed to one at a
?? time?
??
?? I have 300 files named P1001.jpg - P1300.jpg
??
?? How to change to P1001A.jpg - P1300A.jpg
??
?? or, better still....
??
?? to T1.jpg - T300.jpg

This problem came up a while ago and "billious" and I had a
longish exchange. Finally, the most practical method, apart from
acquiring a prepared program, appeared to be to set up a batch
file for the job. Rename is a DOS command and the batch file can
easily be built with Word.

James Silverton
Potomac Maryland.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The program I use for this purpose is Rename Master (freeware) available
he

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/renamemaster.html

Roger

more money David Digital Photography 1 December 8th 05 12:24 AM
Image file naming strategy. Joseph Chamberlain, DDS Digital Photography 8 November 4th 05 05:48 AM
Canon A510 question about file type & sise Gene Digital Photography 6 March 16th 05 06:39 PM
Digital Photo Image File Renaming Vladimir Veytsel Digital Photography 1 December 1st 04 09:14 PM
Question about RAW file and image size Anynomus Digital Photography 9 November 7th 04 10:51 PM