Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshot annotationefficiently?

Old May 8th 13, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
nospam

Default Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshot annotation efficiently?

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

We used our Garmin when traveling from Orlando to a person's house in
Vero Beach. It wanted me to take the tollroads and I didn't want to.

did you tell it you didn't want to use toll roads?

I was in no hurry and I like to be able to stop in case photo
opportunity comes up. The Bitch in the Box keep telling to make turns
that would take me to the tollroads when I was on a highway that
paralleled the tollroad and was just as direct. I finally turned it
off.

nope. it looks like you didn't.

don't blame the gps for routing you on a toll road when you told it you
wanted to use toll roads. it did exactly what you told it you wanted.

in other words, user error.
Old May 8th 13, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Why buy a hotplate to cook my dinner
| when I already have a real stove? And the hotplate costs
| more than my stove. It just doesn't add up.
|

| But! But! It's kewl to cook dinner on a hot plate.

In that case, I guess I could get a smartphone
hotplate app and use it to zap my Lean Cuisine
Trendy High Omega Oil Salmon frozen dinner. ... So
now I do need a smartphone after all. nospam was
right!

Old May 9th 13, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-05-08 16:55:02 -0700, Tony Cooper said:

On Wed, 08 May 2013 18:08:51 -0400, nospam
wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

The chances of finding a major railway station are pretty slim in this
country.

actually quite high. perhaps you've heard of amtrak.

Why, yes, nospam (who doesn't argue for argument's sake), I have. In
fact, Amtrak goes through this area and there are three stations in
the area (Sanford, Winter Park, Orlando). Major, though? I wouldn't
say so. The Winter Park station has inside seating for maybe a dozen
waiting passengers.

However, many places in Florida are 100 miles or more from an Amtrak
station.

There are three Amtrak stations in the entire state of Alabama, and
just two (on the western edge of) Tennessee. Georgia has five
stations.

That's quite high?

As far as Amtrak stations with regular rail service in my area, San
Luis Obispo County, goes there are a three. All part of the coast
service between Southern California and Washington State. Those are,
from the South, Grover Beach, San Luis Obispo, & Paso Robles.
There are also bus stations in towns along all the well travelled
corridors, and some of the more out of the way places.
I believe you might find a pay phone at both Amtrak & bus stations, but
that is just guessing.

On limited access highways California has another solution which also
seems to have reached the end of its cost effective life due to the
increased proliferation of cell phones, those are the highway emergency
phones. These are typically spaced between a quarter to a half mile
depending on traffic density on that particular stretch of limited
access highway. They are also found on the Bay Area bridges. The Golden
Gate Bridge for example has three in each direction of travel, at each
tower and midspan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone

Savageduck

Old May 9th 13, 06:14 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
PeterN[_3_]

On 5/8/2013 5:50 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Wed, 08 May 2013 14:48:12 -0400, PeterN

On 2013-05-08, Neil Ellwood wrote:

I used to make route cards for a journey and secure them to the dashboard.

Yep. When I was in heavy construction, usta get a simple hand drawn
map to the job site every morning. Some sites were 4-5 towns away in
a crowded metro area. No batteries and I could read it without
glasses.

nb

And it doesn't tell you to make a right turn, two lefts and another
right, when you want to go straight.

We used our Garmin when traveling from Orlando to a person's house in
Vero Beach. It wanted me to take the tollroads and I didn't want to.
I was in no hurry and I like to be able to stop in case photo
opportunity comes up. The Bitch in the Box keep telling to make turns
that would take me to the tollroads when I was on a highway that
paralleled the tollroad and was just as direct. I finally turned it
off.

When I got my first Garmin one of my friends set it to bicycle mode. I
kept telling me to get ff the parkways. My new Garmin and the Nav system
in my wife's Lexus have a setting that to stay off freeways. I can also
preplan a scenic route on my computer and send it to the Lexis.

--
PeterN
Old May 9th 13, 07:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

How can you possibly believe that what one person in a limited
capacity observes contradicts industry figures?

it's not only one person or a limited capacity (i keep telling you this
but you refuse to acknowledge it),

Sure I do. You're the sole source of the particular bull**** I've
objected to.

that you know of.

just because you don't know anyone else doesn't mean there isn't anyone
else.

i am *not* the sole source. plenty of people observe what real users
use in the real world. this is nothing new, and not just tech either.

and you *still* haven't explained
why there's a disconnect. all we get out of you is more insults.

You have yet to establish that there *is* a disconnect.

i have established that many times.

i've seen the market share numbers. they don't mean what you think they
mean. in fact, they mean very little.

They mean exactly what they purport to mean: the number of units or
dollars of one source in comparison to the units or dollars of the
other sources.

the problem is that particular bit of info is misleading.

for instance, a software developer might think they'll get 9 times as
many sales on windows of their app because there are 9 times as many
pcs as macs. they won't. just ask adobe.

i don't think adobe puts that info in their financial reports anymore,
but when they did, it was about half mac and half pc, and that was when
apple had around 5% global market share. in other words, 50% of sales
from a platform with 5% share. that's why global market share numbers
don't mean much.

apple is making more money than
the rest of the industry combined. so much for market share being
important.

Apple's earnings represent the amount of profit that Apple derives
from the market share they obtain. Apple's market share is the number
of units they move, or number of dollars they invoice, (depending on
how market share is determined) they sell in relation to the total
market.

you don't say! wow, the things one can learn from usenet.

Obviously, you need a primer.

it's not me who needs the primer.

now how about explaining why apple's market share matters, when they
are already making more money than they know what to do with?

Well, it doesn't matter to me, but it must matter to the industry
because the industry supplies the figures. They wouldn't bother if no
one was interested. It's just one way of keeping score.

yes, it is just one way.

the problem is not understanding what the numbers actually *mean*.

blindly parroting mac has 10% share just shows your ignorance about the
tech industry.

as expected, you are not answering the question i asked, why is there a
huge disconnect between the 'official numbers' and real world usage
which anyone can see with their own eyes?

There is no disconnect. You think you see one, but your methods are
faulty and your credibility sucks. All you spot in your visual
"market survey" is the laptops that are taken out in public. Thousands
of "other brand" laptops, like my son's, are never taken out of the
house.

so only macs are used outside the house? pcs are always kept at home?

what people use in coffee shops, hotels, colleges, etc. is a random
sampling. someone with a pc is just as likely to take it with them as
someone with a macbook.

if macs have a 10% share, then there should be somewhere around 10% in
use in the real world. it doesn't have to be exactly 10%, but something
in that range would be consistent. even 20% would be within reason
although marginal. also, random sample doesn't mean one visit to
starbucks either.

however, 50% is well outside that range. that's the disconnect.
Old May 9th 13, 07:28 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

The chances of finding a public pay phone box outside of a major railway
station

The chances of finding a major railway station are pretty slim in this
country.

actually quite high. perhaps you've heard of amtrak.

Why, yes, nospam (who doesn't argue for argument's sake), I have. In
fact, Amtrak goes through this area and there are three stations in
the area (Sanford, Winter Park, Orlando). Major, though? I wouldn't
say so. The Winter Park station has inside seating for maybe a dozen
waiting passengers.

there are payphones the

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...m2Station/Stat
ion_Page&code=SFA
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...m2Station/Stat
ion_Page&code=WPK
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...m2Station/Stat
ion_Page&code=ORL
Old May 9th 13, 06:07 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , tonycooper214
@gmail.com says...

On 2013-05-08, Neil Ellwood wrote:

[...]

Why didn't you just check the setting to avoid tolls?
Old May 9th 13, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , tonycooper214
@gmail.com says...

On Tue, 7 May 2013 23:51:20 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:

Mayayana wrote:

| That's a cute little phone, but - try as I might - I can't see what
| I'd do with it. Searching my memory, I can't think of a single
| instance in recent months where I would have liked to have a smart
| phone.

| So you do carry a dedicated navigation system with you all
| the time, and never had the need to kill time waiting by e.g.
| browsing news or photos, nor ever had to look up a number, an
| address or a description of a thing or procedure or find a
| doctor or usable eating place while outside town?

I was on the Boston subway yesterday, watching perhaps
1/2 the people diddle their tech. In general it seemed to be
one of two things: listening to music with earplugs or checking
Facebook over and over. It's what young mothers refer to as
a "pacifier" -- something to suck on in order to dull anxiety in
an undisciplined mind.

You have a very disciplined mind. You disciplined it to not
accept new ideas that don't agree with your view of the world.

Next time you read your maps at full speed on the highway or
while in dense traffic in your truck ... remember while they
cut you out of your truck that you could have used a navigation
system (e.g. in a smartphone).

All this suggests to me is that you are person who is not smart enough
to read a map while still parked, make a mental note of the coming
turns, and put the map away, and can't imagine that anyone else is.

Do you wonder how people arrived at their destinations before the
advent of mobile devices?

Do you ever wonder how people made pictures before there were cameras?

Memorizing a map works fine if (a) you have a map and (b) have time to
memorize it. If you're working the kind of job where you may have a
dozen appointments at different locations a GPS is a major timesaver.
Doubly so when the route you would have otherwise taken is blocked.

Old May 10th 13, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

On Sat, 4 May 2013 09:29:26 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I was on the Boston subway yesterday, watching perhaps
1/2 the people diddle their tech.

I'm not anti-tech. I write software and do web design on
the side. And I'm not against cellphones. I have a Tracphone
in case I need to make a call. On the other hand,
I have maps in my truck and a small notebook when I need
to write things down. I read news online and in a newspaper.
I don't need to have the latest "breaking news" while I'm
waiting at a red light or sitting in a dentist's waiting room.
And I certainly don't need to spend upward of $100/month
for that.

If one actually relates to here and now, it turns out that it
doesn't particularly require chocolate sauce and sprinkles. One
doesn't actually need to find a device to kill the time just
because the mobile over one's crib has stopped spinning.

Funny how people try so hard to "kill time" or "pass the time"
....whenever we're not busy frantically worried about not having
enough time.

You must be old. I am, so I agree with this post.
[]'s

When I design web pages I'm sitting at my desktop. When I'm on a
bus/subway I'm looking not to miss my stop. I've survived 66 years
without a smartphone and fully intend to punch out without one - I don't
need apps. If someone tries to call me and I'm on a subway my answering
machine takes the call. I prefer it that way

Me too. My boss doesn't and I like to eat, so . . .

Old May 10th 13, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Mayayana wrote:
| icons on the left and text on the right is the standard table view
| (also known as a list view).

Rectangles, with text, and a small image on the left.
It could be something other than Facebook, but it looked
like Facebook wall boxes, which do not look like a listview.
Whatever it was, nearly everyone was scrolling through
a long line of such rectangles.

That's what my mobile phone facebook wall looks like. It's also how my
email on my mobile phone looks. And how several discussion fora I keep
an eye on look. It's how Flickr discussions look. And several of the
blogs I like to keep up with look like that too. Now I come to think
of it it's how my BBC news feed summary looks. I could go on. But the
point is that nobody at a glance could tell whether I was looking at
my facebook wall or any of these other things.