Major downside to Nikon lens price increases

Old January 26th 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

Default Major downside to Nikon lens price increases

It means more Sigma lenses will sell now than before.
Old January 26th 09, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Nobody[_3_]

"Rich" wrote in message
It means more Sigma lenses will sell now than before.

Why? In Canada Sigma, Tamron, Nikon, Canon etc, all have price increases. So
the playing field is still pretty much even.

Old January 26th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

"Rich" wrote in message
It means more Sigma lenses will sell now than before.

Unless they put up prices too :-(

Old January 26th 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SteveG

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message
It means more Sigma lenses will sell now than before.

Unless they put up prices too :-(

Not so much "unless" more like "until"

--
Regards

Steve G
Old January 26th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2009-01-26 07:21:17 -0800, Bob G said:

It makes a lot of sense to raise prices during a global recession.

They haven't much choice. The yen is too strong.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 26th 09, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Nobody" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
It means more Sigma lenses will sell now than before.

Why? In Canada Sigma, Tamron, Nikon, Canon etc, all have price
increases. So the playing field is still pretty much even.

New higher prices can have a strong negative effect on sales.
If buyers worldwide are reluctant to buy luxury/hobby items and most
sellers are reducing prices in order to make sales lens price
increases make little sense.

Old January 26th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message
It means more Sigma lenses will sell now than before.

Unless they put up prices too :-(

Sigma in the UK say they will do so, and must. I have that from their MD
directly. Some lenses are already priced for recent exchange rate
adjustments - 28-70mm HSM at £799 for example. He thinks the overall
price increase could see particular items going up by 50% by some time
later this year - clearly not next month, maybe the summer, maybe the
autumn depending on whether the sterling exchange rate stabilises,
continues to plummet, or reverses in trend.

This info confirmed by a couple of other trusted photo industry
owners/CEOs. Prices in the UK will have to go up, they have no choice.

David
Old January 26th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Frank Arthur wrote:
"Nobody" wrote in message
"Rich" wrote in message
It means more Sigma lenses will sell now than before.

Why? In Canada Sigma, Tamron, Nikon, Canon etc, all have price
increases. So the playing field is still pretty much even.

New higher prices can have a strong negative effect on sales.
If buyers worldwide are reluctant to buy luxury/hobby items and most
sellers are reducing prices in order to make sales lens price
increases make little sense.

There are no price increases ex-factory. I've just signed off an order
for some imported stock in Euros. They were pleased to tell me that
there would be no increase in prices.

That means I am now paying in my currency only double the actual price I
paid in 2006 for the same items, rather than more than double... I just
sold a 2006 stock item to someone for £4 less than the cost of a 2009
replacement, ex-factory (and my overland shipping costs not even included).

All importers in the UK, US, Europe have the same situation vs the yen.
It doesn't matter if the factory CUTS prices. They would have to reduce
factory gate prices by 30% now to allow western economy distributors to
retain 2008 prices.

David
Old January 26th 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Homer

Nikon is going to make their products non competitive with other
manufacturers. There does not seem to be the same competitive discounts with
Nikon verses Canon.
Even though the world currencies against the Yen have changed, most of the
Nikon products are made in Thailand or China. And the exchange rate with
those countries has not changed that much.
We had a situation in Canada last year with prices had not changed even when
the Canadian dollar went up and Nikon took their sweet time reducing the
prices to match the U.S. prices. I wonder what Nikon are going to when
Canadian and other currencies recover.
In a recession people shy away from luxury goods like high priced cameras
and electronics.

Old January 26th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Homer wrote:
Nikon is going to make their products non competitive with other
manufacturers. There does not seem to be the same competitive discounts with
Nikon verses Canon.
Even though the world currencies against the Yen have changed, most of the
Nikon products are made in Thailand or China. And the exchange rate with
those countries has not changed that much.
We had a situation in Canada last year with prices had not changed even when
the Canadian dollar went up and Nikon took their sweet time reducing the
prices to match the U.S. prices. I wonder what Nikon are going to when
Canadian and other currencies recover.
In a recession people shy away from luxury goods like high priced cameras
and electronics.

In Canada Nikon may have been the first to move, but here in
Australia, so far everyone except Sony (ie, Nikon, Canon,
Sigma, Tamron) has moved by 20-30% in wholesale price on
their lenses.

The Canon & Nikon bodies don't seem to have risen yet,
presumably they had sufficient stock on hand bought at the
old currency rates, but I'd imagine a price move will happen
fairly quickly.

Because price rises are fairly hard to push through (creates
a big disparity between stores with old stock and stores
with new), they may even do what HP and Toshiba did with
their computers - slap a new model number on it and release
it at a higher price (with no change to the internals).