black and white??

Old April 29th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default black and white??

Ecuse my prior omission...I printed the color negatives on Ilford
Multigrade IV paper in Dektol...came out fine. Others haven't worked
as well. Try it!

Old May 3rd 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

The Photoshop manipulation is done all the time and is quite easy to do.

The simplest mode is to just scan the negative in color mode and then
convert the mode to grayscale. The rendering in grayscale can be a bit odd
and you have to mess with levels or curves to get a better print. (Actually
a bit like printing a color negative on VC paper it will do in a pinch but
there are better options.)

Better is to scan as color negative and then adjust saturation.
Imageadjusthue & saturation. Manipulating these controls allows you to
adjust the hue, saturation and lightness of each color much like you had
shot the image through a black and white "contrast" filter like a 25A, 47,
K2, etc. Then make the conversion to grayscale.

There are also plug-ins that will do this automatically, worth it for
someone that converts a lot of color negatives or shoots digital. (I
believe that if you shoot digital you should always shoot in color mode and
RAW save everything off that way and then convert in your "digital darkroom"
to black and white or sepia as needed. There's even a black and white
plug-in that supposedly creates a pretty convincing false IR rendering from
a color image.
--
darkroommike

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...
Graham Fountain wrote:

Do you want it printed on true B&W paper? If so then follow Francis'
suggestions. But if you just want it printed in B&W, take it to a lab
with a digital printer such as a frontier, and have them reprint it as a
B&W. The result will be a B&W image printed on colour paper - it won't
look identical to a B&W printed on B&W paper, but it will still look ok,
and will be the cheapest and fastest way of getting a quality B&W.

Am I incorrect to believe that a color neg. can be scanned into
Photoshop & printed out on one of Epson's many photo quality printers?
With the proper manipulations in PS & calibration & the use of suitable
inks & paper to, isn't it possible to achieve a quality arguably close
to B&W film & paper? Wouldn't this also give the photog. the option to
use contrast/ color filtration after the exposure, such as if it had
been exposed w/ say, a yellow filter?

I really don't want to start a flame war here over silver vs. digital.
I'm bringing this up because this is the path that I plan to take in
the future. I.E. Neg color scanned into PS & printed out onto either
b&w or color. I would consider my thought to be correct if a few
respected arts photogs. are doing this. In any case, I suspect it's
going to soon to become one of the few paths available short of full
digital.

Regards, John