*ping*

Old April 25th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default *ping*

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 05:03:47 GMT, "Ken Nadvornick"
wrote:

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

I think many users got fed up with the problems
of Usenet...

Most serious users sure did...

I dunno why. Other than Scarpetti there hasn't been a real troll
around for years.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 25th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:58:53 -0400, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

don't bother me, I'm refilling my inkjet
cartridges.

I guess it's sometimes worth it but I just print to PDF ;)

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 26th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"John" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 03:26:17 GMT, Mike
wrote:

What mailing lists do you recommend?

I think Richards one of the snior members or moderators on
the
Puresilver list. Their info is available at

http://www.freelists.org/archives/pure-silver/

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net

I am a co-administrator for the pure-silver list. It
covers somewhat the same topics as this group but does not
include color photography which the darkroom group does.
Subscription to pure-silver may be done at the URL above.
Sometimes the web interface seems not to work but I can
subscribe people manually when that happens.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 26th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:21:49 GMT, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

What mailing lists do you recommend?

I think Richards one of the snior members or moderators on
the
Puresilver list. Their info is available at

http://www.freelists.org/archives/pure-silver/

I am a co-administrator for the pure-silver list. It
covers somewhat the same topics as this group but does not
include color photography which the darkroom group does.
Subscription to pure-silver may be done at the URL above.
Sometimes the web interface seems not to work but I can
subscribe people manually when that happens.

--
Richard Knoppow

Richard,

How's that RDD feed working ? Also is Michael on the list ? I haven't
heard from him in a while. Quite a team between you, Michael and Jim
Brick.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 26th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:36:42 -0500, John
wrote:

Subscription to pure-silver may be done at the URL above.
Sometimes the web interface seems not to work but I can
subscribe people manually when that happens.

--
Richard Knoppow

Richard,

How's that RDD feed working

Ahem ! "RSS" !

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 26th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"John" wrote:

I dunno why. Other than Scarpetti there hasn't been a real troll
around for years.

Maybe, but life is horrendously short. To be called a "moron" every time
someone asks a simple question is just not worth the aggravation. There are
too many other options out there.

I see that only eight threads below this one someone is calling someone else
"vermin" and a "punk." Intellectual discourse at its finest...

And right below that someone is pitching Internet "domains for sale."

Yes, yes. I know I'm supposed to ignore. And I do. But why should someone
have to make even that effort when, as I said, there are so many other more
civil options available, and the time is so brief?

Ken

Old April 26th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article nSC3g.2618$E41.1558@trnddc03,
"Ken Nadvornick" wrote:

"John" wrote:

I dunno why. Other than Scarpetti there hasn't been a real troll
around for years.

Maybe, but life is horrendously short. To be called a "moron" every time
someone asks a simple question is just not worth the aggravation. There are
too many other options out there.

I see that only eight threads below this one someone is calling someone else
"vermin" and a "punk." Intellectual discourse at its finest...

And right below that someone is pitching Internet "domains for sale."

Yes, yes. I know I'm supposed to ignore. And I do. But why should someone
have to make even that effort when, as I said, there are so many other more
civil options available, and the time is so brief?

Ken

Save yourself any agony a buy a browser or newreader with a kill file
option -life is certainly too short to deal with webstalking abusive
people.
--
The sometimes insomniac.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old April 27th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Greg "_"" wrote:

Save yourself any agony a buy a browser or newreader with a kill file
option -life is certainly too short to deal with webstalking abusive
people.

Excellent advice -- and already implemented in the handful of NGs I still
frequent as there are a small few (RK, for one) whose advice and opinion I
value highly and for whom the task of censorship is made worthwhile.

But as for the rest...

Ken

Old April 30th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Maybe, but life is horrendously short. To be called a "moron" every time
someone asks a simple question is just not worth the aggravation. There are
too many other options out there.

Try a newsreader will killfilter capabilities; you'd weed a lot of the
fluff that way.

I see that only eight threads below this one someone is calling someone else
"vermin" and a "punk." Intellectual discourse at its finest...

And right below that someone is pitching Internet "domains for sale."

Yes, yes. I know I'm supposed to ignore. And I do. But why should someone
have to make even that effort when, as I said, there are so many other more
civil options available, and the time is so brief?

The idea is to let the software do the filtering for you

Usenet has some great advantages:

a) It's not linked to an individual website. If the site of a
particular forum goes down (bankrupcy, whatever), all info stored there
is lost. rec.photo.darkroom lives forever, as long someone cares to
keep an usenet server. Messages can be archived easily.

b) Linked to a), nobody can ban or censor you. What happens if the web
forum administrator starts to kill all messages that throw some bad
light on the forum commercial announcers?

c) Advanced usenet readers make navigating and reading a newgroup much
more agile than clicking on a web site. While this not applies to this
group, I'm not afraid to go to some high traffic newgroups, be
presented with a backlog of 3000+ messages, and catch up in one hour.