Componar 60/4

Old April 19th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Componar 60/4

Hello,

Just wanted some information and advice. I am presently using a
Schneider Componon-S 50mm enlarging lens and am thinking of getting a
60mm Schneider Componar 60/4 in order to avoid light fall off. How does
the Componar compare to the Componon-S? I work in B+W only. I know
that the El-Nikkor 63mm would be preferable but there is the financial
aspect to consider.

Thanks for any comments.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Bogdan Karasek
Montréal, Québec e-mail:
Canada

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"
"What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence"
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Old April 19th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Bogdan Karasek" wrote

presently using a ...
Schneider Componon-S 50mm enlarging lens thinking of getting a 60mm
Schneider Componar 60/4 in order to avoid light fall off ...
[comments]?

A Componar is a 4 element Tessar mid-range lens while a
Componon is a 6 element 'Gauss' top-of-the-line.

60mm lenses were made for 4x4cm negatives on 127 film, as
from a baby Rollei/Yashica 44.

The Componon shouldn't be giving problems with light fall-off
if stopped to 5.6 or smaller. I doubt the Componar will improve
things.

Old April 19th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

A quick rule of thumb (all else being equal) for Schneider lenses:

Componar = entry level
Componon = better
APO anything = $$$$

Chrome barrel lenses = older (not always bad) but more likely to use a
mounting thread other than the "standard" Leica type.

Short answer? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In other words, if you
print wide open all the time and can observe or measure fall off, get a
different lens but I don't think the Componar would be the cure.

If your present Componon-S is truly exhibiting fall off, replace it, on the
other hand, if you are looking for a longer focal length lens to use based
on something you read here or elsewhere (though I don't know why anyone
would go elsewhere for darkroom info when all the really smart guys are
here) stick with your 50mm (if it was a bargain I'd get the 60 anyway just
to play with). If you have the time, money and tools, it would be
interesting to test the lenses side by side.

My guess, the Componon has little (if any) fall off stopped down a couple of
stops. And has much better resolving power at f/4 than the Componar.

So basically pick it up if you are curious, it's not in the same class as
the El-Nikkor (which is a 6-element f/2.8 lens, N-version, guess there's
also an older f/3.5). BTW the Nikkor isn't that spendy, B&H lists them for
$199.00, new, currently backordered, but don't go nuts on eBay buying a used
one!
--
darkroommike

.. .

Old April 25th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Hello,

Componon-S is a great lense, just much better than Componar, that is
Schneider's base line. if you have little corner fall-off on corners,
let's stop down at f/5.6 or smaller and it will work perfectly for
24x36mm negatives.

Alvaro