Colour paper contrast. Grades?

Old May 1st 04, 05:57 PM
Nick Zentena

Default Colour paper contrast. Grades?

B&W paper comes in different grades. Other then paper company ad
copy is there anything that tells you how high/low the contrast is on a
paper? Before you buy it. For example Kodak Portra is supposed to be low
contrast. Kodak Edge is supposed to be much higher in contrast. Is it
possible to compare the differences to the B&W grade system?

Thanks
Nick
Old May 1st 04, 08:37 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Nick Zentena wrote:

B&W paper comes in different grades. Other then paper company ad
copy is there anything that tells you how high/low the contrast is on a
paper? Before you buy it. For example Kodak Portra is supposed to be low
contrast. Kodak Edge is supposed to be much higher in contrast. Is it
possible to compare the differences to the B&W grade system?

Thanks
Nick

Run a step wedge comparision, after its all just sensitometry.

I made a simple guide negative a few years ago and calibrated my
printing method to it, once I got the time and printing filteration correct
for one paper emulsion I used it to judge subsequent papers and emulsion
for the same type.

I used a grey card, and "paint" color patches to get me in the realm of
reality (I think ;-)
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

For best results expand this window at least 6" at 1152 x 768 resolution
Old May 2nd 04, 12:36 PM
Jim Phelps

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message

B&W paper comes in different grades. Other then paper company ad
copy is there anything that tells you how high/low the contrast is on a
paper? Before you buy it. For example Kodak Portra is supposed to be low
contrast. Kodak Edge is supposed to be much higher in contrast. Is it
possible to compare the differences to the B&W grade system?

Thanks
Nick

Nick,

Kodak's Endura (and earlier the III series) has what amounts to 3 grades.
Portra, which is about grade 2, Supra about grade 2 1/2 to 3 and Ultra which
is about 3 1/2 to 4. Ctein writes about this in _Post Exposure_.

Jim

Old May 2nd 04, 03:23 PM
Nick Zentena

Gregory W Blank wrote:

Run a step wedge comparision, after its all just sensitometry.

I made a simple guide negative a few years ago and calibrated my
printing method to it, once I got the time and printing filteration correct
for one paper emulsion I used it to judge subsequent papers and emulsion
for the same type.

I used a grey card, and "paint" color patches to get me in the realm of
reality (I think ;-)

Thank. I'm trying to get an idea if any of the published information from
the companies objectivly provides something like paper grades.

Nick
Old May 2nd 04, 03:30 PM
Nick Zentena

Jim Phelps wrote:

Kodak's Endura (and earlier the III series) has what amounts to 3 grades.
Portra, which is about grade 2, Supra about grade 2 1/2 to 3 and Ultra which
is about 3 1/2 to 4. Ctein writes about this in _Post Exposure_.

How would the non pro papers slot into this? When I was picking up some
chemicals last week I had to stand behind a wedding photographer and listen
to him complain about the mini-lab prints he had picked up. White brides
dress black tuxedo. You could see the woman behind the counter just wanting
to tune him out while he rambled. They didn't actually look bad.

Nick
Old May 2nd 04, 07:08 PM
Jim Phelps

Jim Phelps wrote:

Kodak's Endura (and earlier the III series) has what amounts to 3

grades.
Portra, which is about grade 2, Supra about grade 2 1/2 to 3 and Ultra

which
is about 3 1/2 to 4. Ctein writes about this in _Post Exposure_.

How would the non pro papers slot into this? When I was picking up some
chemicals last week I had to stand behind a wedding photographer and

listen
to him complain about the mini-lab prints he had picked up. White brides
dress black tuxedo. You could see the woman behind the counter just

wanting
to tune him out while he rambled. They didn't actually look bad.

Nick

I'm not 100% sure, but the consumer grade papers offered by the high
volume photo processors is likely the middle 'grade'. This would give you a
somewhat higher contrast than needed. Ctein states the Agfa paper is
actually lower in contrast than the Portra. Never tried it or the Fuji
Crystal either. Personal tastes is the reason.

A pro (?) wedding photographer using a Mini-Lab? His own fault!

Old May 2nd 04, 07:26 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
"Jim Phelps" wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but the consumer grade papers offered by the high
volume photo processors is likely the middle 'grade'. This would give you a
somewhat higher contrast than needed. Ctein states the Agfa paper is
actually lower in contrast than the Portra. Never tried it or the Fuji
Crystal either. Personal tastes is the reason.

A pro (?) wedding photographer using a Mini-Lab? His own fault!

Mini printers use so many different papers its hard to say unless you read the
backside of the paper in question. There are different flavors of mini labs mind you,...
my local camera store has an in house mini lab, they are pretty fair at what they do,
although perhaps pricey compared to some prolabs that have mini printers and offer it
as cut rate service.

They also develop slide films etc but but because they use roller transport
to process film and cannot do 4x5 I would not classify them as a true pro-lab.

Old May 2nd 04, 08:13 PM
Nick Zentena

Jim Phelps wrote:

A pro (?) wedding photographer using a Mini-Lab? His own fault!

I just glanced at the odd print while waiting for the manager to look up
some things for me. They looked too good to be a casual snapshooter. I
wasn't paying a great deal of attention but had to wait awhile. Every so
often he would complain about detail in the dress and say some thing like
"This looks perfect on the computer. The fuji should print it exactly
right".

Nick
Old May 2nd 04, 09:46 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Jim Phelps wrote:

Kodak's Endura (and earlier the III series) has what amounts to 3 grades.
Portra, which is about grade 2, Supra about grade 2 1/2 to 3 and Ultra which
is about 3 1/2 to 4. Ctein writes about this in _Post Exposure_.

How would the non pro papers slot into this? When I was picking up some
chemicals last week I had to stand behind a wedding photographer and listen
to him complain about the mini-lab prints he had picked up. White brides
dress black tuxedo. You could see the woman behind the counter just wanting
to tune him out while he rambled. They didn't actually look bad.

Nick

Pros: they give amateur photographers a bad name.