Patterson Photocolor II C41 dev - Capacity?

Old May 2nd 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Patterson Photocolor II C41 dev - Capacity?

I'm trying to decide which C41 chemistry to buy next.

Anyone know what capacity I can expect from Patterson Photocolor II? e.g.
if I bought a 500ml kit, that makes up to 1.5l and mixed up 500ml of working
solution at a time (to do both 35mm and 120), how many films would I get out
of it? - I dont mind pushing past the limits as much of what I do is
experimental but it'd be good to know which kit would be best to use for
maximum cost effectiveness

I'm currently using a Nova Prospeed C41 dry press kit, which I've used (and
abused) and been pleased with the results and the number of films I've been
able to put through it. Thought I'd try something different this time....

Old May 2nd 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"alspix" . com writes:

I'm trying to decide which C41 chemistry to buy next.

Anyone know what capacity I can expect from Patterson Photocolor II?

First, there are reports over on APUG that Paterson is dropping its entire
chemistry line. Specifically, here's the thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26488

You should take this with a grain of salt unless/until you can verify it
yourself, but I recommend you do look into the availability situation
before you decide to start using their chemistry.

To more directly answer your question, I've used one bottle of Photocolor
II. The claim is that it can be used up to three times for 36-exposure
rolls of 35mm film, with an increase in development time after each use.
(I don't recall if the re-use numbers are different for other film
formats, though.) I played it safe and didn't re-use it more than twice,
except once or twice when I did three 24-exposure rolls in a row. The
developer's activity seemed to fade about 3 months, IIRC, after I opened
the bottle. This meant I threw out close to half of it, given my rate of
use.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old May 3rd 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"alspix" . com wrote in
message ...
I'm trying to decide which C41 chemistry to buy next.

Anyone know what capacity I can expect from Patterson Photocolor II? e.g.
if I bought a 500ml kit, that makes up to 1.5l and mixed up 500ml of
working
solution at a time (to do both 35mm and 120), how many films would I get
out
of it? - I dont mind pushing past the limits as much of what I do is
experimental but it'd be good to know which kit would be best to use for
maximum cost effectiveness

I'm currently using a Nova Prospeed C41 dry press kit, which I've used
(and
abused) and been pleased with the results and the number of films I've
been
able to put through it. Thought I'd try something different this time....

I'm no help with your questions but I was curious as to what you are doing
that is experimental and what kind of results you have had.

Old May 3rd 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...

I'm no help with your questions but I was curious as to what you are doing
that is experimental and what kind of results you have had.

Basically just mucking about with old/toy/pinhole cameras, so I'm not
bothered about optimum performance or colour rendition, just something
colourful! :-)

(see http://www.flickr.com/photos/alspix/)

I've got a load of cheap expired film so I'm pushing the nova kit to the
limits. I made up the 1 litre batch, divided in two, and froze one half for
later. The 500ml I have should be good for 6 rolls, I stuffed 12 through it
so far, paying no attention to the rules (fairly inaccurate temp control,
loads of different film types/speeds, cross processed slide film, etc)

The performance is fading but I'm still happy with the results, which are
starting to take on a retro/vintage look as the kit ages (it's been in use
over 4 weeks now).