Tripod and head Recommendations?

Old November 21st 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Hoover

Default Tripod and head Recommendations?

I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing about
them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks
1. Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid
Connect Plate (3157N)
2. Bogen-Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod

Old November 21st 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sally

In article , hoover wrote:
I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing about
them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks

Depends a lot on what camera you are using and what kind of photography you
like doing. Bogen is a good brand for tripods, though I have not tried
their heads.
Old November 21st 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JD

hoover wrote:
I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing about
them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks
1. Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid
Connect Plate (3157N)
2. Bogen-Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod

You should specify what your intended use will be. I like flower
photography and macro work.

I have the 3021Pro (chrome, figured black would chip).
It is not a tripod for backpacking. It's chief strength is its ability
to go very low and with the center post removable and going horizontal,
you can get low and position the camera where the legs might have been
an interference. Some people complain that they can get pinched with
the leg locks, I avoid that by closing with the ball/palm of the hand.

The mechanism for removing the head from the vertical post to convert
from vertical to hoziontal (or to pull the vertical tube completely out
to get the tripod very low to the ground) is done by unscrewing the tube
from the mounting plate. It is too fine a thread for my taste, it takes
a lot of turns to separate the pieces.

I use it with a Bogen 410 geared head and an Ultratech ballhead.

JD
Old November 21st 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

hoover wrote:

I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing about
them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks
1. Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid
Connect Plate (3157N)
2. Bogen-Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod

I have a 3021. What do you intend to use it for?
Its big, heavy, and solid for some things, vibrates
too much for other things (like holding super
telephoto lenses). If you can swing it, a carbon
fiber tripod would be much better (dampens the
vibrations more and is much lighter).
The 3021 works well for medium telephotos,
as long as you don't have to lug it far.

Roger
Photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com
Old November 21st 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

hoover wrote:
I'm thinking of getting the following tripod and head - i know nothing about
them. Any thoughts or recommendations? thanks
1. Bogen-Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid
Connect Plate (3157N)
2. Bogen-Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod

What's your camera?

What are you going to be photographing?

Where are you going to be?

BugBear
Old November 22nd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Hoover

I photograph a lot of landscape - i'm definitely not a pro but I use a Nikon
D-50. Mostly mountains, trees, battlefields, etc

"JD" wrote in message
. ..

Old November 23rd 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JD

hoover wrote:
thanks - do you know anything about the ball head?

"JD" wrote in message
. ..

hoover wrote:

[...]

I can't speak to the 322RC2 ball head. I like the Ultratech but like
all ball heads you get the good and the bad.
Good: very quick to move to a desired position.
Bad: For precise macro work, they can drive you nuts since you can't
lock two planes of movement while fine tuning the third. Also ball
heads tend to shift (settle) when you are locking them into position.
Tension controls help that problem.

I've also found that I prefer the geared head for panorama work. This
is a matter of getting the horizontal alignment set to be the same for
the multiple shots. It was easier to do than with the ball head, again
a matter of not being able to lock two planes while fiddling with a third.

Here's a site for reviews of heads:
http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...S_3134crx.aspx

Here's the same site reviewing tripods:
http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...14_660crx.aspx

Roger's comment about vibration of the 3021 with super telephoto is
accurate. I've also heard that you should not fully extend the small
legs of the tripod (keep two - three inches in the next section) again
as a means to reduce the vibration.

JD