Less expensive DSLR's, Nikon or Canon

Old March 14th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Less expensive DSLR's, Nikon or Canon

I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder if
the Canon Rebel XT is better. The prices are about the same. The Nikon is
a 6MP while the Canon is 8, but the results look about the same. What do
you people think? Nikon or Canon?
Old March 14th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jack" wrote in message
I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder if
the Canon Rebel XT is better. The prices are about the same. The Nikon
is
a 6MP while the Canon is 8, but the results look about the same. What do
you people think? Nikon or Canon?

Both are good. Don't worry too much about MPs.

Old March 14th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jack wrote:
I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I
wonder if the Canon Rebel XT is better. The prices are about the
same. The Nikon is a 6MP while the Canon is 8, but the results look
about the same. What do you people think? Nikon or Canon?

Right. They are too close to call. I have the Canon and I have been
very happy with it. I had several Canon lens and was a little more use to
the current Canon way of doing things so for me Canon was the best choice.

Had I not had those lenses, I would have been equally happy with the
Nikon.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old March 14th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jack" wrote in message
I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder if
the Canon Rebel XT is better. The prices are about the same. The Nikon
is
a 6MP while the Canon is 8, but the results look about the same. What do
you people think? Nikon or Canon?

I don't know the Nikon. Nikon have an excellent rep.

I have an XT - it's excellent. If you buy an XT you won't be buying a pup.
The advantage of 8Mp over 6Mp lies in cropping - probably. I produced an A3
B&W yesterday from 65% of the pixels of myXT (5.2Mp) and it's technical
quality is rather good. I won't vouch for the artistic qualiity.

Canon make a very large range of lenses and their L lenses are very very
good. If you buy into Canon and buy good lenses you can upgrade the body in
a few years and take advantage od technical advances. I imagine the same is
true of Nikon lenses.

I don't think you will go wrong with either brand.

John

Old March 15th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Nikon kit lens better than Canon kit lens by far.
Cameras about equal.

Old March 15th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Don't know the D50, but upgraded from the DigiRebel to Rebel XT for:

1. Faster start-up/wake-up

2. Greater ability to crop 8 mp vs 6

I also like the Image Stabilization lenses from Canon--

Paul B.
www.scienceteacher.biz

Old March 15th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jack wrote:
I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder if
the Canon Rebel XT is better. The prices are about the same. The Nikon is
a 6MP while the Canon is 8, but the results look about the same. What do
you people think? Nikon or Canon?

One advantage of the Nikon is that Nikon has their new 18-200 DX VR
lens, which is a good amateur "walking-around" lens, while Canon has no
lens like this.

OTOH, The XT is really a step up from the D50, the XT competes more
against the D70s, but is higher resolution and lower noise.

In either case, the kit lens should be avoided.

These are the choices:

Nikon D50 ($500 D50 body, plus $350 Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
lens). $850

Nikon D70s kit (with Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens). $1200

Rebel XT ($750 Rebel XT body, plus $500 EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
LENS). $1250

Canon has no non-IS lens that competes against the Nikon 18-70mm non-IS
lens. So to get a decent kit on the XT, you're spending a lot more than
you would with the D50. Hence for entry level, the D50 is the way to go,
but not with the kit lens.

Old March 15th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jack" wrote in message
I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder if
the Canon Rebel XT is better. The prices are about the same. The Nikon
is
a 6MP while the Canon is 8, but the results look about the same. What do
you people think? Nikon or Canon?

My choice between those two would be for the Nikon.

Old March 15th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jack wrote:
I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder if
the Canon Rebel XT is better. The prices are about the same. The Nikon is
a 6MP while the Canon is 8, but the results look about the same. What do
you people think? Nikon or Canon?

I think they are both good cameras and you should get good results from
either.

I would not place too much emphasis on the 6 vs 8MP issue. An extra 2MP
is a good thing, but the actual effect of it isn't that great. MP values
are an area thing, but resolution are usually thought of in linear
terms, such as 'dpi'. In those terms the Nikon is 3008 vs the Canon's
3456 (both long-side pixel count), meaning that the Canon is 15%
'better' (as opposed to 33% using area values). Hence, the net
difference is not that great.
Also, there are other factors which contribute to image quality, as well
as the number of pixels.
I know people with Nikon D50s and D70s and they are quite happy, and not
especially lusting after a Canon. :-)
I would suggest going to a shop and having a good play around with both
and see which one feels better, which one's controls make more sense, etc.

Re. kit lens, you don't actually have to buy that do you? Maybe you
could get a body and some other lens, if that suited you better?
I presume the kit is cheaper, but that's partly because they usually put
a fairly low-end lens in those kits (as I understand it). Maybe you coul
d spend a little more money a get a better lens. After all, it the lens
that makes the image, so it's worth having a good 'um.