Cleaning Kodachrome slides?

Old February 17th 04, 06:13 AM
Mark

Default Cleaning Kodachrome slides?

I have some 1940's vintage Kodachrome color slides that I want to
clean, re-mount in Gepe mounts, and scan. Any recommendations
on how to clean them safely? I tested one today in some warm
water and Kodak Fotoflow. The emulsion appeared to bubble up,
which made me nervous. It settled down again after drying, but the
light areas (sky) look a bit "crazed." It may have already looked
that way, I need to take a close look at some of the others.

Thanks
-Mark

Old February 17th 04, 04:27 PM
Andrew Koenig

"Mark" wrote in message

I have some 1940's vintage Kodachrome color slides that I want to
clean, re-mount in Gepe mounts, and scan. Any recommendations
on how to clean them safely? I tested one today in some warm
water and Kodak Fotoflow. The emulsion appeared to bubble up,
which made me nervous. It settled down again after drying, but the
light areas (sky) look a bit "crazed." It may have already looked
that way, I need to take a close look at some of the others.

I'm pretty sure Kodak makes a film cleaner. It's not water-based.

Old February 17th 04, 08:36 PM
J D B

I'm pretty sure Kodak makes a film cleaner. It's not water-based.

Kodak did, but I can't find it anymore. It was a good product.
However, there are several similar products. Delta, Edwal, et al have
them.

I have used "Pec-12", for instance.

Cheers.
Old February 18th 04, 03:50 AM
Mark

"J D B" wrote:
I'm pretty sure Kodak makes a film cleaner. It's not water-based.

Kodak did, but I can't find it anymore. It was a good product.
However, there are several similar products. Delta, Edwal, et al have
them.

I have used "Pec-12", for instance.

I just bought a bottle of Rexton #3001 Anti-Static Film Cleaner.
Will this do the trick?

I also read a recommendation for a Kodak product called
E-6 Final Rinse. Does anyone here have experience with that
as a product for cleaning negatives?

Thanks
-Mark

Old February 18th 04, 11:40 PM
mp

I have some 1940's vintage Kodachrome color slides that I want to
clean, re-mount in Gepe mounts, and scan. Any recommendations
on how to clean them safely? I tested one today in some warm
water and Kodak Fotoflow. The emulsion appeared to bubble up,
which made me nervous. It settled down again after drying, but the
light areas (sky) look a bit "crazed." It may have already looked
that way, I need to take a close look at some of the others.

Most non-water based film cleaners will not swell the emulsion. I like to
use PEC-12. It's an extremely volatile cleaner, which means that your slides
are dry and ready to work with in mere seconds. And because there's no
swelling, there's less risk of physical damage.

Old February 19th 04, 03:41 AM
Michael Creem

"mp" wrote in message
I have some 1940's vintage Kodachrome color slides that I want to
clean, re-mount in Gepe mounts, and scan. Any recommendations
on how to clean them safely? I tested one today in some warm
water and Kodak Fotoflow. The emulsion appeared to bubble up,
which made me nervous. It settled down again after drying, but the
light areas (sky) look a bit "crazed." It may have already looked
that way, I need to take a close look at some of the others.

If memory serves, Kodachrome of that era was lacquered after processing.
That may be what you raised when you wet the slide. I do not remember how
to remove it.
Michael

Old February 19th 04, 08:18 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Mark" wrote in message
I have some 1940's vintage Kodachrome color slides that I

want to
clean, re-mount in Gepe mounts, and scan. Any

recommendations
on how to clean them safely? I tested one today in some

warm
water and Kodak Fotoflow. The emulsion appeared to bubble

up,
which made me nervous. It settled down again after drying,

but the
light areas (sky) look a bit "crazed." It may have already

looked
that way, I need to take a close look at some of the

others.

Thanks
-Mark

1940's and 1950's Kodachrome film was coated with either
of two types of lacquer. The older one was soluble in a 5%
sodium carbonate solution or in stock Dektol developer. The
other was soluble in Carbon Tetrachloride, which was Kodak's
recommeded film cleaner at the time. Kodak recommended that
the film be tested with Carbon Tet first. If the laquer came
off the cleaner could then be used to remove it all. The
alkaline bath will cause the solvent type laquer to swell
and craze, possibly damaging the underlying emulsion. In
either case the film should be washed after removing the
lacquer.
At the time Kodak made a lacquer for replacing the
original. I have no idea of what to use now. In place of
Carbon tet I would suggest 99% Isopropyl alcohol, which is
Kodak's currently recommended film cleaner. A brief test
will show if it works on the lacquer. Carbon tetrachloride,
once a very common solvent and cleaning fluid, proved to be
very toxic and also an environmental hazard. Even if it were
easily available(which it isn't) I would strongly recommend
staying away from it.
You may possibly be able to get more information from
Kodak. Their customer service number in the US is toll free
1 800 242 2424, ask for extension 19 (professional service).

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 20th 04, 05:47 AM
Mark

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

1940's and 1950's Kodachrome film was coated with either
of two types of lacquer.

Is there any particular reason why I would want to remove
the lacquer?

Thanks
-Mark

Old February 20th 04, 08:28 AM
James Robinson

Mark wrote:

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

1940's and 1950's Kodachrome film was coated with either
of two types of lacquer.

Is there any particular reason why I would want to remove
the lacquer?

It yellows over time.
Old February 20th 04, 08:30 AM
James Robinson

James Robinson wrote:

Mark wrote:

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

1940's and 1950's Kodachrome film was coated with either
of two types of lacquer.

Is there any particular reason why I would want to remove
the lacquer?

It yellows over time.

And I should have mentioned that the lacquer is sometimes attacked by
mold where the humidity is high.