Digital Rebel AC adapter kit

Old September 28th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Fred Anonymous[_2_]

Default Digital Rebel AC adapter kit

"Jstein" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I have owned a Digital Rebel XTI camera for about a year now. This
camera has been very loyal to me under normal shooting conditions. I
have started to get into time lapse photography and have made the
realization that I will need some form of AC power. I have been
scanning the internet and much to my surprise this is not an easy
object to come by. Canon is sold out and the only available AC kits I
have found are 2 on ebay and one on Amazon for roughly $55. While $55
doesn't sound all that bad its hard to come by any extra money being a
college student.
My question is this: Has anyone had any luck building their own
power supply for the Rebel? The problem lies in the DC coupler. The
Canon AC kit comes with a dummy battery with a connector on the
underside. I have tried searching for just the coupler but have made
little progress. The thought occurred to me to either try building my
own battery out of a composite material or to buy a cheap knock-off
battery, hollow it out, and solder the leads. The second sounds risky
but It's something I'm willing to do. Does anyone know the current
readings at the battery at full capacity? Also what is the purpose
for the 3rd contact labeled "T" ? Perhaps someone knows where I can
buy an AC kit relatively cheap? If all else fails, the stock kit will
suffice, but I would certainly get more satisfaction going the other
route. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.
Thank you very much.

-Jesse

Hi Jesse.

I'd get a battery grip and get the power to the camera via its battery
contacts.

Regards, Ian.