How to add "Start Run snip" to bring up the screenshot SnippingTool in Windows 7,8, and 10

Old February 28th 18, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
ultred ragnusen

Default How to add "Start Run snip" to bring up the screenshot SnippingTool in Windows 7,8, and 10

This is a hint for the tribal-knowledge archives on Windows screenshotting.

In the Windows 10 ng, we just found a way to get this to work just fine:
Start Run snip
to bring up a snipping tool for capturing & modifying screenshots in either
Windows 10 or Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8).

Simply export the existing registry "App Paths" key for "SnippingTool.exe"
and change /just/ the key name in the text *.reg file from
"SnippingTool.exe" to "snip.exe" and then re-import that new key
by doubleclicking on the *.reg file to create a new "App Paths" key.

Everything is exactly the same between the two keys, except the key name.

Original key name:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\SnippingTool.exe

Additional key name:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe

Once you export the old key and import it as a new key, this then works:
Start Run snip

Of course, if you use the "search box" instead of the "Run box", then
typing almost anything that starts with S or SN or SNI or SNIP will also
work, so this hint is only about getting it to work in the Run box.

Old February 28th 18, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
ultred ragnusen

ultred ragnusen wrote:

In the Windows 10 ng, we just found a way to get this to work just fine:
Start Run snip
to bring up a snipping tool for capturing & modifying screenshots in either
Windows 10 or Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8).

Simply export the existing registry "App Paths" key for "SnippingTool.exe"
and change /just/ the key name in the text *.reg file from
"SnippingTool.exe" to "snip.exe" and then re-import that new key
by doubleclicking on the *.reg file to create a new "App Paths" key.

For the tribal knowledge update, here's how to add a Run command to the
later Windows versions which don't have it by default where it used to be
in Windows XP days...

1. Keyboard method to open a "Run" box.
WindowsKey+r

2. Power-user menu method to open a "Run" box.
WindowsKey+x Run

3. Orb method to open a "Run" box
Right-click on the Windows Orb Run

4. Cortana method to open a "Run" box.
Cortana run Run

5. Start menu method to open a "Run" box.
Start Windows System Run

6. Tile method to open a "Run" box.
Start Windows System Run RightClickOnThatIcon Pin to Start
(That will put a "Run" icon in the Windows touchscreen start tiles.)

7. Shortcut method to open a "Run" box.
Right-click New Shortcut
Location = explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f3-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}
Name = RunBox

8. Another "start run" menu method to open a "Run" box.
Supposedly you used to be able to drag-and-drop that RunBox.lnk shortcut to
the start menu, but it didn't work for me on Windows 10 Pro today.

Once you have that Run box, the method shown in the original post will work
to make "Start Run snip" bring up the Windows snipping tool.

Methods A and B below should also have worked just fine, as I've been using
that method of creating quick commands on Windows for decades, but for some
reason (probably I found yet another Windows bug, which seems to be my
gift), A & B below do not work - but C works just fine.

A. Creating this new key /should/ have worked but it did not work
(I suspect this is due to a Windows bug because I've been doing this App
Paths command-creation technique for decades!)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe
Default = %windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe

B. Creating this also /should/ have worked, but it did not work (same bug!)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe
Default = %SystemRoot%\system32\SnippingTool.exe

C. This worked but it should have done the same as the above anyway!
a. Right click on the SnippingTool.exe key
b. Export to "SnippingTool.reg"
c. Change only "SnippingTool.exe" to "snip.exe" & save as "snip.reg"
d. Doubleclick on "snip.reg" and it will create the new key "snip.exe".

Why A & B above don't work, but C does, might be a Windows bug.

Here is the content of the SnippingTool.reg & snip.reg for tribal archives.

:=== cut below for SnippingTool.reg ===:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths\SnippingTool.exe]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00 ,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00 ,32,00,5c,00,53,00,6e,00,\
69,00,70,00,70,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,54,00,6f,00,6f ,00,6c,00,2e,00,65,00,78,\
00,65,00,00,00

:=== cut above for SnippingTool.reg ===:
:=== cut below for snip.reg ===:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths\snip.exe]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00 ,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00 ,32,00,5c,00,53,00,6e,00,\
69,00,70,00,70,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,54,00,6f,00,6f ,00,6c,00,2e,00,65,00,78,\
00,65,00,00,00

:=== cut above for snip.reg ===:
Old February 28th 18, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 28/02/2018 20:22, ultred ragnusen wrote:
[...]

FWIW, I just keep the snipping tool pinned to the taskbar together with
the other stuff that I use all the time (Word, Excel, Paint, Chrome,
Thunderbird, Spotify, etc).
Old February 28th 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ultred ragnusen

newshound wrote:

FWIW, I just keep the snipping tool pinned to the taskbar together with
the other stuff that I use all the time (Word, Excel, Paint, Chrome,
Thunderbird, Spotify, etc).

That's a good observation that /any/ tool you use often can be kept handy,
but having /all/ the tools you use handy is where clutter raises its ugly
head.

Being able to edit the HOSTS file, for example, just by typing "hosts" in
the "Start Run" box, is handy, and negates the need to put a HOSTS.lnk
shortcut to clutter your taskbar.

Personally, I screenshot all the time with the Win+PrtScrn or
PrtScrn-and-paste method, where I rarely use SnippingTool.exe, so I
wouldn't want the Snipping Tool to clutter my menus.

The advantage of the "Start Run" method is it avoids clutter.

When I want it, I can just type snip!
Old March 1st 18, 04:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Char Jackson

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:22:49 -0800, ultred ragnusen
wrote:

[...]

I'd hazard to guess that most Windows users will choose to use the
built-in functionality, what you call the search box, since it's already
there and it works well for this task and related tasks. AFAICT, nothing
is gained by trying to use the Run box. It's all cons and no pros.

Old March 1st 18, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
ultred ragnusen

Char Jackson wrote:

I'd hazard to guess that most Windows users will choose to use the
built-in functionality, what you call the search box, since it's already
there and it works well for this task and related tasks. AFAICT, nothing
is gained by trying to use the Run box. It's all cons and no pros.

Your concerns are fair because you're not thinking about the problem set
the way I am thinking about it.

I'm thinking globally. You're thinking about the specific actions by
Microsoft after four very specific characters are typed in the order given,
of first "S" then "N" and then "I" and then "P", where Microsoft has seen
to it (via magic in essence) that this brings up the tool /they/ want it to
bring up.

However ... I'm thinking of the problem set more globally than are you.
What happens if you type the reverse of SNIP, which is pins.

Don't try it!
Just tell me /exactly/ what happens when you type P then I then N then S.

What's that?
You don't know?

What if you typed PINS in the "Start Run" box?
Do you know what will happen?

I do.
In fact, I know /exactly/ what will happen, and better yet, I know exactly
what to do if I want to create a command called "pins" where I want
something to happen when I type it into the "Start Run" box.

We are looking at the problem set from completely different philosophical
viewpoints, one of which is, essentially random, and the other is orderly.
Old March 2nd 18, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Char Jackson

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:17:49 -0800, ultred ragnusen
wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:

I'd hazard to guess that most Windows users will choose to use the
built-in functionality, what you call the search box, since it's already
there and it works well for this task and related tasks. AFAICT, nothing
is gained by trying to use the Run box. It's all cons and no pros.

Your concerns are fair because you're not thinking about the problem set
the way I am thinking about it.

I'm thinking globally. You're thinking about the specific actions by
Microsoft after four very specific characters are typed in the order given,
of first "S" then "N" and then "I" and then "P", where Microsoft has seen
to it (via magic in essence) that this brings up the tool /they/ want it to
bring up.

However ... I'm thinking of the problem set more globally than are you.
What happens if you type the reverse of SNIP, which is pins.

The result is logical and completely expected: With "snip" so badly
misspelled, Snipping Tool is not in the list of results. Were you
expecting something different, or do you agree that this is logical and
completely expected? If it happened to me, I'd simply correct the
spelling and move on.

Don't try it!
Just tell me /exactly/ what happens when you type P then I then N then S.

What's that?
You don't know?

What if you typed PINS in the "Start Run" box?
Do you know what will happen?

If I was looking for Snipping Tool, "pins" isn't going to help me via
the Run box either, so the result is essentially the same. Either way, I
wouldn't have launched the Snipping Tool.

In a more global sense, it's exactly the same for most things, I'd
assume. Sometimes a badly misspelled string will find something
interesting, but just correct the spelling and move on, right?

I do.
In fact, I know /exactly/ what will happen, and better yet, I know exactly
what to do if I want to create a command called "pins" where I want
something to happen when I type it into the "Start Run" box.

We aren't talking about creating new commands. We're not, right? We're
talking about quickly launching a known command or application. We don't
need to jump through hoops for that.

We are looking at the problem set from completely different philosophical
viewpoints, one of which is, essentially random, and the other is orderly.

I wouldn't have used those two words. The labels that we give things,
such as random in this case, can blind a person unnecessarily to the
possibilities. For me, there's nothing random about it.

Old March 2nd 18, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
ultred ragnusen

Char Jackson wrote:

The result is logical and completely expected: With "snip" so badly
misspelled, Snipping Tool is not in the list of results. Were you
expecting something different, or do you agree that this is logical and
completely expected? If it happened to me, I'd simply correct the
spelling and move on.

We don't disagree on the facts - we only differ on the philosophy.

You seem to be thinking that Cortana always comes up with the right answer,
which is exactly what you're looking for - but it's just not capable of
that.

For example, type in "clean disk" and one of the choices is the desired
"Disk Cleanup" tool, whose actual command is %windir%\system32\cleanmgr.exe

But you have to know enough about Cortana to know it won't give you that
answer if you enter, instead, "Clean Up System FilesĄ & yet, that's the
description for the tool itself.
https://www.howtogeek.com/268667/wha...you-delete-it/

You can type all sorts of logical queries, such as "delete install files",
that won't get you what you want.

So my point is that the algorithm for what they programmed into Cortana is
capricious while the algorithm for how Start Run works is not.

You can't disagree with the facts above - so we only disagree on philosophy
of the utility of what is essentially a randomly generated answer from
Cortana that works only if you already know the answer, versus an explicit
answer from Start Run that only works if you already know the answer.
Old March 4th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 28/02/2018 21:44, ultred ragnusen wrote:
newshound wrote:

FWIW, I just keep the snipping tool pinned to the taskbar together with
the other stuff that I use all the time (Word, Excel, Paint, Chrome,
Thunderbird, Spotify, etc).

That's a good observation that /any/ tool you use often can be kept handy,
but having /all/ the tools you use handy is where clutter raises its ugly
head.

Being able to edit the HOSTS file, for example, just by typing "hosts" in
the "Start Run" box, is handy, and negates the need to put a HOSTS.lnk
shortcut to clutter your taskbar.

Personally, I screenshot all the time with the Win+PrtScrn or
PrtScrn-and-paste method, where I rarely use SnippingTool.exe, so I
wouldn't want the Snipping Tool to clutter my menus.

The advantage of the "Start Run" method is it avoids clutter.

When I want it, I can just type snip!

Each to their own. I *never* take a full screenshot, but I do a lot of
snipping.
Old March 16th 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Bob_S

"ultred ragnusen" wrote in message

[...]

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool. exe and then right-click on
the file and drag it to your desktop and drop it and select Make Shortcut
Here. Now all you have to do is click on the shortcut and it opens...
--
Bob S.