Question for you Apple crazies

Old June 14th 18, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip Helbig[_2_]

Default Question for you Apple crazies

In article , Bill W
writes:

My home is paid for, and I'm moving to a place where housing is about
half what it is here, so if I buy something about the same size, I
might have enough left over to buy an Apple product... So some
questions:

Most important, is there any point in shopping around for the best
price on a Macbook Pro, or is the pricing pretty much fixed?

I see that there a lot of listings with years mentioned. How far back
can I go to be able to dual boot into Windows? How far back to get a
great retina display? And how far back to get great performance,
something that is more than adequate for LR & PS, video and audio
editing? How far back where I can still easily add a second high
quality display?

If we're talking half the price of a house, why not just buy the latest,
greatest stuff? And buy an iPad Pro while you're at it.

Old June 14th 18, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/14/2018 12:18 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

One of my reasons for not getting one, is that I
do not like a glossy screen.

that hasn't been an issue in nearly a decade.

It is for me, and that's what counts. Instead of posting a knee jerk
reaction, read what I said.

the current displays are nowhere near as glossy as they used to be.

retina resolution is *far* more important.

--
PeterN
Old June 14th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/14/2018 12:44 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Now when are you going to stop using “apple seeds”?
It has a nasty ring to it, the tone is intentionally demeaning, andisn’t
cute.

When certain individuals stop worshiping a brand name, and recognize
that different people have different,and legitimate needs.

--
PeterN
Old June 14th 18, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

* One of my reasons for not getting one, is that I
do not like a glossy screen.

that hasn't been an issue in nearly a decade.

It is for me, and that's what counts. Instead of posting a knee jerk
reaction, read what I said.

the current displays are nowhere near as glossy as they used to be.

retina resolution is *far* more important.

More important for what purpose?

If you want to give up tonal gradations in the dark areas, that's fine
with me.
I guess it's more important for posting non-existent images.

--
PeterN
Old June 14th 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

One of my reasons for not getting one, is that I
do not like a glossy screen.

that hasn't been an issue in nearly a decade.

It is for me, and that's what counts. Instead of posting a knee jerk
reaction, read what I said.

i did read it.

the problem is you're basing your opinion on long obsolete hardware.

Old June 14th 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Now when are you going to stop using apple seeds?
It has a nasty ring to it, the tone is intentionally demeaning, andisnt
cute.

When certain individuals stop worshiping a brand name,

or bashing it, as you are doing.

and recognize
that different people have different,and legitimate needs.

if only you (and others) would do that.
Old June 14th 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

* One of my reasons for not getting one, is that I
do not like a glossy screen.

that hasn't been an issue in nearly a decade.

It is for me, and that's what counts. Instead of posting a knee jerk
reaction, read what I said.

the current displays are nowhere near as glossy as they used to be.

retina resolution is *far* more important.

More important for what purpose?

image quality. duh.

If you want to give up tonal gradations in the dark areas, that's fine
with me.

no need to give up anything.

again, you're basing your ill informed opinion on long obsolete
hardware and stubbornly refuse to accept that things have changed.

I guess it's more important for posting non-existent images.

i guess you have to resort to ad hominem attacks, since you have
nothing else.
Old June 14th 18, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/14/2018 2:50 PM, nospam wrote:

read what i said:
the current displays are nowhere near as glossy as they used to be.

And they still do not show tonal gradations in the darker areas. That is
one of the reasons why graphics professionals use matte displays.

Old June 14th 18, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 14, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 6/14/2018 12:44 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Now when are you going to stop using “apple seeds”?
It has a nasty ring to it, the tone is intentionally demeaning, andisn’t
cute.

When certain individuals stop worshiping a brand name, and recognize
that different people have different,and legitimate needs.

There is more than one Apple user in this NG, and I have yet to find any of
them refering to users of other OSses by blatantly demeaning terms. Each of
us have made decisions regarding cameras, lenses, processing software, and
OS. Those decisions have been based on photographic purpose, personal budget,
and particular biases.

I for one can’t even thing of a term as insulting for Windows, or Linux
users as the “appleseed” you and Mayayana use to demean Mac users.

....and I do take it personally, as it is not, cute, flippant, or funny. With
your response above you confirm that you are targeting individuals. The way
you, and Mayayana use it is intentionally insulting.

Savageduck

Old June 14th 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 14, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 6/14/2018 1:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 6/14/2018 12:18 AM, nospam wrote:
In , PeterN
wrote:

One of my reasons for not getting one, is that I
do not like a glossy screen.

that hasn't been an issue in nearly a decade.

It is for me, and that's what counts. Instead of posting a knee jerk
reaction, read what I said.

the current displays are nowhere near as glossy as they used to be.

retina resolution is *far* more important.

More important for what purpose?

If you want to give up tonal gradations in the dark areas, that's fine
with me.
I guess it's more important for posting non-existent images.

Tonal graduations in dark areas? I have yet to see any evidence that you are
truly concerned with that problem.

I suggest that the next time you have the opportunity you should see for
yourself how one of your images appears on one of the latest 5K Mac displays.
I am sure that B&H would be more than happy to give you access to one of
their Macs in their store when next you visit. I believe you will be
surprised.

Savageduck