Netherlands: birds, wildlife, tulips?

Old April 16th 04, 12:29 AM

Default Netherlands: birds, wildlife, tulips?

Hi All.
How are the tulips in the Netherlands doing now?
Are there any good birding/wildlife locations in the area
From Amsterdam to the Hague? Further away from these areas?

Roger

Old April 16th 04, 02:08 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
Hi All.
How are the tulips in the Netherlands doing now?

The place to be (75,000 visitors last weekend, 800,000 visitors/year) if you
want to see a lot in a single location: http://www.keukenhof.com ,
http://www.europebyphoto.com/keukenhofgardens-tour.html

Are there any good birding/wildlife locations in the area
From Amsterdam to the Hague? Further away from these areas?

I am not an ornithologist but, from what I've read, there are some 99
"Important Bird Areas" in the Netherlands (not all open to the public during
breeding season). In the area you are visiting, most are of a pools,
marshland, wet meadows and ditches type (I could find a Dutch language map
of the bird protection organization
http://www.vogelbescherming.nl/content.aspx?cid=116 , or an international
site locator
http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/sea...&Reg=7&Cty=149 )
Especially regions "Eilands polder"=NL068, "Naardermeer"=NL074, "De
Wilck"=NL089, Nieuwkoopse plassen"=NL076 seem close to your intended region
of interest. There are also parks along the coast, sandy dune areas.

Wildlife locations are a bit harder to describe, because it depends on the
type of habitat and the animal size you're looking for. Larger game (deer,
wild horse, 'wild' ox, wild pig, fox, etc.) is more likely to be found a bit
more to the east. The Prezwalski horses (in NL066 on the above Birdlife IBA
Factsheet) may be interesting, some were caught and reintroduced in their
original habitat in Mongolia where they are extinct. If you want to see
different kinds of deer, the best chance (approx.100% if you know the
feeding spots ;-)) is in the eastern provinces in the National Park "De Hoge
Veluwe", and especially in the Royal Domains the deer are easy to encounter.

Due to the population density in the western provinces, and the need to
protect these animals, you'll need a permit for many of these areas. Local
tourist info (VVV) can assist in obtaining such permits. It may also be
worthwile to establish a contact with a forester/gamekeeper for better
access to restricted areas.

So it really depends on what you are looking for, but since everything in
this country is rather small scale most of it is usually reachable within a
90 minute drive (outside the rush hours).

If you need more specific info, feel free to ask.

Bart

Old April 28th 04, 05:10 AM

Bart,
Thanks for the info. I just got back from my 11-day trip.
I had a wonderful time. I did get to Keukenhof.
Despite lots of people, it is about the most beautiful
park I have ever seen. The flowers were at peak and
there were many stunning arrangements. With patience,
I got many pictures without people in them.
The pictures at http://www.europebyphoto.com/keukenhofgardens-tour.html
do not do it justice. I'll have to go back sometime
with my 4x5.

I did see many birds in local ponds and waterways.

How about the National Parks? I have yet to visit any.

I'll visit many times in the future. The Netherlands
is a wonderful country, everyone I've met is very nice,
and the food is great. This has been true every time
I've visited.

Roger

Bart van der Wolf wrote:
"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...

Hi All.
How are the tulips in the Netherlands doing now?

The place to be (75,000 visitors last weekend, 800,000 visitors/year) if you
want to see a lot in a single location: http://www.keukenhof.com ,
http://www.europebyphoto.com/keukenhofgardens-tour.html

Are there any good birding/wildlife locations in the area
From Amsterdam to the Hague? Further away from these areas?