View Camera Magazine

Old January 27th 05, 06:58 PM
Largformat

Default View Camera Magazine

We are looking for large format photographers doing portrait and figure work
for an upcoming issue.

Send submissions to

View Camera
Box 2328
Corrales, NM 87048

please include return packing and postge if you would like your material
returned.

steve simmons
Old January 28th 05, 01:55 AM
Tom Phillips

Largformat wrote:

We are looking for large format photographers doing portrait and figure work
for an upcoming issue.

Send submissions to

View Camera
Box 2328
Corrales, NM 87048

please include return packing and postge if you would like your material
returned.

steve simmons

Hey steve, why don't you publish some of Ron Wohlauer's
work?

He died recently, but has a new book out and was a great
photograper. Also an old prof. I always liked his nudes.
Old January 28th 05, 04:56 PM
jjs

"Tom Phillips" wrote in message

Hey steve, why don't you publish some of Ron Wohlauer's
work?

He died recently, but has a new book out and was a great
photograper. Also an old prof. I always liked his nudes.

Whew - sometimes publishing work when the author has just recently deceased
is very difficult - estate issues, transfer of authority...

Old January 28th 05, 07:40 PM
jjs

"Largformat" wrote in message

What is the title of the book and where can I see some samples?

Although he's called Ron, if you want to do a library search it will yield
more if you use "Ronald (W.) Wohlauer"

Small Rooms & Hidden Places
Eye of the Storm

Sorry I don't know the publishers.

Old January 28th 05, 09:21 PM
Tom Phillips

Subject: View Camera Magazine
From: "jjs"
Date: 1/28/2005 9:56 AM Mountain Standard Time
"Tom Phillips" wrote in message

Hey steve, why don't you publish some of Ron Wohlauer's
work?

He died recently, but has a new book out and was a great
photograper. Also an old prof. I always liked his nudes.

Whew - sometimes publishing work when the author has just recently deceased
is very difficult - estate issues, transfer of
authority..

What is the title of the book and where can I see some samples?

steve simmons

Steve, Ron had two books: Eye of the storm, 1985 (nudes)
and Small rooms & hidden places, 2003. The books of course
are representative but I'm sure he has lots of unpublished/
unseen work (as I recall, Ron was always engaging some model
for some idea he had.) I might be able to put you in contact
with his widow, if you're interested. I don't think there's
any online nude samples, but a PDF sample of Small rooms is
at
http://www.godine.com/images/smallrooms.html

(book description http://www.godine.com/books/titles/1567922082.html )

An interesting story about one his nudes, called "Two Women."
It was being exhibited here where I live at an art gallery
and seems some locals suffered from nudity phobia. The print
was a beautiful figure study of two women from pelvic point
of view but the art-phobic locals begin calling it pornographic,
which it wasn't, demanding it be taken down. Was quite a media
stir about it. I think it's in "Eye." Also I know there were/are
several galleries that represented Ron but don't know if there's
one in NM.
Old January 28th 05, 09:22 PM
Tom Phillips

jjs wrote:

"Largformat" wrote in message

What is the title of the book and where can I see some samples?

Although he's called Ron, if you want to do a library search it will yield
more if you use "Ronald (W.) Wohlauer"

Small Rooms & Hidden Places
Eye of the Storm

Sorry I don't know the publishers.

D.R. Godine, Boston.
Old January 28th 05, 09:26 PM
Tom Phillips

Tom Phillips wrote:

but a PDF sample of Small rooms is
at http://www.godine.com/images/smallrooms.html

Sorry. the PDF download is at

http://www.godine.com/images/smallrooms.pdf
Old January 28th 05, 10:45 PM
Charles Hohenstein

In article , Tom Phillips
wrote:

An interesting story about one his nudes, called "Two Women."
It was being exhibited here where I live at an art gallery
and seems some locals suffered from nudity phobia. The print
was a beautiful figure study of two women from pelvic point
of view but the art-phobic locals begin calling it pornographic,
which it wasn't, demanding it be taken down. Was quite a media
stir about it. I think it's in "Eye." Also I know there were/are
several galleries that represented Ron but don't know if there's
one in NM.

It's interesting how the definition of what is acceptable in art has
changed with time. During the Italian Renaissance, male nudes in the
arts were commonplace. During the Victorian era they were very rare, and
until recently "nude" almost always meant "female nude" in practice. Now
naked and half-naked men are all over advertising for men's cologne,
men's underwear, and magazines such as "Men's Health" aimed at straight
men. And some people are exhibiting photography showing closeups of
genitalia, erections, sex acts, urination, and so on. Personally I find
these latter activities offensive subjects for fine art photography. But
who knows what people will be looking at in a hundred years.

Charles Hohenstein