Pentax question

Old February 10th 13, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

Default Pentax question

In article , John Turco
wrote:

Pentax bodies boast much better build quality, than either Canon or
Nikon equipment. Even its entry-level DSLR cameras blow away the
competition, in this particular respect.

definitely not.

(I own a Pentax "K100D" and have always been impressed with its fine
feel and sturdiness.)

nikon and canon have always had a better build than pentax, especially
on the higher end bodies, except perhaps for the pentax lx film slr.
Old February 10th 13, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Ellwood

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 07:57:39 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

John A. wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 18:22:46 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

On Feb 6, 2:46 pm, Lyndon wrote:
I have been using Pentax film cameras for all of my photography life
(from the H-1a screw mounts). I currently have the MX camera with
many Kmount lenses. I have noticed the K30 pentax camera and am
wondering if it will take the K mount lenses and get approx the same
results with them. For instance, I have a 24mm lens which is a very
wide angle lens. I have been told that earlier dslr cameras could be
modified to take such a lens, but it would no longer give 24mm film
comparable pictures. Hope this isn't too confusing. But I would like
to keep using all my older K mount lens if possible with similar
digital result.

Lyndon

I'm frankly amazed Pentax is still in business. They have a market
share that makes Olympus's look big. I can only surmise they have
reasonable margins on what they sell.

Maybe...
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/06/30/...n-dslr-online-

buyer-satisfaction/

You will note that the ratings of the top three are very close together.
Without some assessment of the statistical spread of the ratings in the
sample saying 899 is better than 891 is better than 888 cannot be
justified,
they might all be within the spread and the differences of no
significance. I couldn't see such a measure of significance in the
linked full report which doesn't even say what the sample size was, nor
is the sampling methodology explained. The footnote to the chart says
"rankings were based on numerical scores not statistical significance".
A proper survey would be the contrary.

This survey is well worth ignoring.

David

You did notice that Pentax were best except for PICTURE QUALITY.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’
Old February 10th 13, 10:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Hare-Scott

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/06/30/...-satisfaction/

You will note that the ratings of the top three are very close
together. Without some assessment of the statistical spread of the
ratings in the sample saying 899 is better than 891 is better than
888 cannot be justified, they might all be within the spread and the
differences of no significance. I couldn't see such a measure of
significance in the linked full report which doesn't even say what
the sample size was, nor is the sampling methodology explained. The
footnote to the chart says "rankings were based on numerical scores
not statistical significance". A proper survey would be the
contrary.

This survey is well worth ignoring.

David

Even if it only shows that people are as satisfied with Pentax as the
leading brands, that's still significant enough.

I don't want to beat this to death but as it stands this survey doesn't tell
us even that much.

"Equal" is just as valid a result as "better" and not at all something
to be ignored when considering which brand to go with.

It could be equal, better or worse, we don't know. I agree that customer
satisfaction ought not be ignored but the survey doesn't say anything useful
about it.

Old February 10th 13, 11:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Hare-Scott

wrote:

On Feb 6, 2:46 pm, Lyndon wrote:
[...]

No, I didn't notice Pentax was shown to be better (or worse) on any
criterion. I am saying the results are of no significance on the data
published.

Old February 11th 13, 10:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

wrote:

On Feb 6, 2:46 pm, Lyndon wrote:
[...]

Actually the results as far as they go do indicate roughly equal, with no
statistical difference, but since they appear to be based on a small sample,
you are also correct in ignoring them. I certainly wouldn't base my camera
choice on such a survey, even one that was properly conducted.

Trevor.

Old February 12th 13, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Turco

On 2/9/2013 10:40 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , John Turco
wrote:

Pentax bodies boast much better build quality, than either Canon or
Nikon equipment. Even its entry-level DSLR cameras blow away the
competition, in this particular respect.

definitely not.

I bought my K100D in September of 2007. At the time, and ever since,
I've occasionally handled Canon and Nikon display models, in stores.
They're surprisingly light and shockingly plasticky, from everything
I've seen.

In fact, one of them (I forgot which brand) had a fairly large zoom lens
attached. Even so, the entire body/lens combo was practically weightless.

(I own a Pentax "K100D" and have always been impressed with its fine
feel and sturdiness.)

nikon and canon have always had a better build than pentax, especially
on the higher end bodies, except perhaps for the pentax lx film slr.

Really? I'd read that Pentax's optics are the equal of Nikon's and
Canon's, at the very least. (Not that it truly matters, anymore, as
Pentax has been reduced to relative obscurity.)

John
Old February 12th 13, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , John Turco
wrote:

Pentax bodies boast much better build quality, than either Canon or
Nikon equipment. Even its entry-level DSLR cameras blow away the
competition, in this particular respect.

definitely not.

I bought my K100D in September of 2007. At the time, and ever since,
I've occasionally handled Canon and Nikon display models, in stores.
They're surprisingly light and shockingly plasticky, from everything
I've seen.

maybe the low end models are, but the midrange and high end, such as
the nikon d3, d4, d3x and canon 1d, 1ds are *not* surprisingly light
nor are they shockingly plastic. they're actually rather big and heavy.

In fact, one of them (I forgot which brand) had a fairly large zoom lens
attached. Even so, the entire body/lens combo was practically weightless.

some people like lightweight cameras. others don't.

(I own a Pentax "K100D" and have always been impressed with its fine
feel and sturdiness.)

nikon and canon have always had a better build than pentax, especially
on the higher end bodies, except perhaps for the pentax lx film slr.

Really? I'd read that Pentax's optics are the equal of Nikon's and
Canon's, at the very least.

i thought this was about the bodies.

anyway, that used to be true. some of the old takumars were excellent.
i still have a couple collecting dust.

these days, nikon and canon have some amazing lenses, such as the nikon
14-24mm which nikon claims is better than any fixed focal length lens
in that range that they made, and tests confirm it.

(Not that it truly matters, anymore, as
Pentax has been reduced to relative obscurity.)

that part is true, unfortunately.
Old February 12th 13, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"John Turco" wrote in message
I bought my K100D in September of 2007. At the time, and ever since, I've
occasionally handled Canon and Nikon display models, in stores. They're
surprisingly light and shockingly plasticky, from everything I've seen.

In fact, one of them (I forgot which brand) had a fairly large zoom lens
attached. Even so, the entire body/lens combo was practically weightless.

Nice combination then if you have to carry it around, and don't intend to
use it as a hammer. None of my Canons has yet broken down on me (from 1DS
level down to IXUS and video) but the only Pentax I ever bought packed it in
with *very* little use. Perhaps bad luck, but didn't impress me much!

(I own a Pentax "K100D" and have always been impressed with its fine
feel and sturdiness.)

nikon and canon have always had a better build than pentax, especially
on the higher end bodies, except perhaps for the pentax lx film slr.

Really? I'd read that Pentax's optics are the equal of Nikon's and
Canon's, at the very least. (Not that it truly matters, anymore, as Pentax
has been reduced to relative obscurity.)

Exactly, the real problem with once big manufacturers like Pentax, Olympus,
Minolta etc is they come and go at whim, often leaving their users stuck
with lenses and accessories and no upgrade path. All have produced some good
camera's and lenses over the years, but the only ones I'd bet my money on
being around in 10+ years are Nikon and Canon.
Too expensive to swap all my lenses and flashes every few years :-(

Trevor.

Old February 13th 13, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Turco

On 2/11/2013 7:25 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , John Turco
wrote:

[...]

Oh, well...I just hope that Pentax doesn't become a name-only "company"
(e.g., Polaroid).

John
Old February 13th 13, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Turco

On 2/11/2013 10:33 PM, Trevor wrote:
"John Turco" wrote in message
[...]

Canon and Nikon are on top, both now and in the foreseeable future.
Recall what happened to Kodak, though -- nothing lasts forever!

John