[SI] 46.8 degrees photos are available for viewing

Old January 18th 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

Default [SI] 46.8 degrees photos are available for viewing

OK, I rushed them, and didn't include any comments, but I'll get to
that later on. For now, take a look at the shots submitted by those
shooters who actually take pictures and participate:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/468_degrees

Let the flames fly!
Old January 18th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:43:23 -0500, Bowser wrote:

OK, I rushed them, and didn't include any comments, but I'll get to
that later on. For now, take a look at the shots submitted by those
shooters who actually take pictures and participate:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/468_degrees

Let the flames fly!

Since comments were not included, I'll explain mine:

"APCH" is an exterior shot of part of Arnold Palmer Children's
Hospital. One of the few architectural shots I've ever done. My
camera club's mandate for last month was "Abstract". Had this shot
been done in time for this, I might have entered it.

"Cow Barn" is a subject that I shot last summer, but processed in
color. I went back yesterday and re-shot it for the mandate. I'm on
a black & white kick, so I went for that in this shot and deliberately
over-sharpened for effect. No filters (in camera or in software) were
used...just the Unsharp Mask set to 240 and a lot of Contrast.

"Waiting for Amtrak" was taken inside the Orlando train station. I've
been doing mostly "street" or "urban" photography lately and
concentrating on people. This type of photograph seems to work better
in black and white. I didn't like the NBC sports logo, but it didn't
seem honest to clone it out.

I'll comment on the rest later, but I did have to laugh when I saw
those other photographs of railroad stations. You'd think the mandate
was "46.8 and railroad stations".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 18th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:19:52 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:43:23 -0500, Bowser wrote:

OK, I rushed them, and didn't include any comments, but I'll get to
that later on. For now, take a look at the shots submitted by those
shooters who actually take pictures and participate:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/468_degrees

Let the flames fly!

Since comments were not included, I'll explain mine:

"APCH" is an exterior shot of part of Arnold Palmer Children's
Hospital. One of the few architectural shots I've ever done. My
camera club's mandate for last month was "Abstract". Had this shot
been done in time for this, I might have entered it.

My favorite of the bunch, too...

Old January 18th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-01-18 11:43:23 -0800, Bowser said:

OK, I rushed them, and didn't include any comments, but I'll get to
that later on. For now, take a look at the shots submitted by those
shooters who actually take pictures and participate:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/468_degrees

Let the flames fly!

Some how or another, that didn't turn out too bad.

My main observation is, that for those of us who were using cropped
sensors, there might have been some confusion regarding 50 mm, or 46.8
degrees.
I used my 35 mm f2.0 on my D70 (I await the arrival of the replacement
D300s) which gave me a FF 52 mm equivalent (close enough I guess.)

I like Paul's garden and the overgrown driveway, both seem inviting.

Calvin's fencers works well for me, I like the perspective and the action.

At least we all made the effort to get something out there.

Savageduck

Old January 18th 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-01-18 12:19:52 -0800, tony cooper said:

[...]

It seems we had the railroad station thing going for this SI.

In my case I was just trying to think of what might work for this mandate.

Since you are on a BW kick I thought you might find this from the same
shoot interesting.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_1145b-w.jpg

Savageduck

Old January 19th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

:
: OK, I rushed them, and didn't include any comments, but I'll get to
: that later on. For now, take a look at the shots submitted by those
: shooters who actually take pictures and participate:
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/468_degrees
:
: Let the flames fly!
:
: Since comments were not included, I'll explain mine:
:
: "APCH" is an exterior shot of part of Arnold Palmer Children's
: Hospital. One of the few architectural shots I've ever done. My
: camera club's mandate for last month was "Abstract". Had this shot
: been done in time for this, I might have entered it. ...

You might have won; that's a damned fine picture.

My two are Massachusetts landscapes: the Sudbury River at sunrise in the town
of Concord and Old Silver Beach on Buzzards Bay in Falmouth.

: I'll comment on the rest later, but I did have to laugh when I saw
: those other photographs of railroad stations. You'd think the mandate
: was "46.8 and railroad stations".

That's fine with me. I like railroad stations. :^)

Bob
Old January 19th 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:37:43 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

In my case I was just trying to think of what might work for this mandate.

Since you are on a BW kick I thought you might find this from the same
shoot interesting.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_1145b-w.jpg

I like your treatment of converting to black and white. Nice
contrast, nice blacks, and - evidently - a nice sharp take to start
with. I think you are getting a bit too artsy with the borders. This
kind of photo should stand on its own. The border's a bit distracting
to me, but it does show off the blacks.

I do like a minimal border, though, when posting an image. In pBase,
the white border establishes the image on pBase's black background.
For links, the black border does the same since links show up on
white. That 5 px (?) inner border would do it.

Some will think that the closed eyes detract, but I don't. That
heavy-lidded look fits the character.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 19th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yup. I actually think it is a better image than the one I submitted for
SI, but I cropped some and with the crop it wouldn't meet the mandate.

I did the B&W comversion with CS4 B&W adjustment layer with the high
contrast red preset.

OK. It is time to rethink the border thing.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 10, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

wrote:

[...]

I really didn't understand this bit. I thought if we shot at 50mm,
that how we cropped didn't make any difference. The exif data shows
the same focal length as the original no matter what is done in
cropping or re-sizing. I took it as a mandate to compose with your
feet instead of with the zoom.

I did the B&W comversion with CS4 B&W adjustment layer with the high
contrast red preset.

I've never felt comfortable with the b&w adjustment layer conversion
system. Too many sliders. I use the Gradient Map Adjustment Layer
and dick around with a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer.
Sometimes I'll convert to LAB and use the Lightness channel. I keep
experimenting.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 19th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas Johnson[_2_]

tony cooper wrote:

"Waiting for Amtrak" was taken inside the Orlando train station. I've
been doing mostly "street" or "urban" photography lately and
concentrating on people. This type of photograph seems to work better
in black and white. I didn't like the NBC sports logo, but it didn't
seem honest to clone it out.

I like this one a lot. Black and white really works for it.
-- Doug