Imac Fusion Drive, Adobe, Help!

Old June 10th 13, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MI

Default Imac Fusion Drive, Adobe, Help!

At the end of March I bought a 27 inch iMac with 16 GB of memory, 3.4GHz
Intel Core i7 processor. It has a 3 TB fusion drive. I am running Mountain
Lion (10.8.4)

Since I bought this machine there have been occasions (about every 10 days
to 2 weeks) when the clock stops. To restart it, I have to reboot.

More seriously, on several occasions I have had the system freeze and I have
had difficulty getting the system to quit. It takes several tries and
several methods. Last time it happened, I got a dialogue stating that the
startup drive was full and which open programs did I want to close. All that
was open was a game of solitaire, my Mail account and the Finder. After I
finally got it shut down it wouldn't reboot. After waiting about 1/2 hour I
tried again. No luck. So, when all else fails I pulled the plug and the
machine spontaneously rebooted on its own.

We took the machine into the Apple store as it is still under warranty and
had a complete diagnostic done. After two days of testing the answer my
technician and I got is that it is a Adobe glitch and that Adobe knows that
a patch is required. They claim the problem is between the fusion drive and
Creative Suite. After you have used one of the programs the startup drive
doesn't clear.

They claim Adobe is working on it, but I guess unless one signs up for the
monthly rental those of using CS5 or 6 will be out of luck and will just
have be prepared to keep rebooting or whatever it takes.

Has anyone else encountered this problem. Apples says it is the fusion drive
that does not react properly with Adobe's program. I would be interested to
hear if anyone else is pulling their hair over this. It would be great if
Adobe was forced to make the patch available to CS5 and 6.

--
Martha

Old June 10th 13, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , MI
wrote:

They claim Adobe is working on it, but I guess unless one signs up for the
monthly rental those of using CS5 or 6 will be out of luck and will just
have be prepared to keep rebooting or whatever it takes.

that's completely false.

adobe has repeatedly said that cs6 will continue to get bug fixes,
compatibility fixes, security fixes, etc.

it just won't get any new *features*.

if what apple is saying is true and it's actually an adobe bug, then
adobe will fix it. have you contacted adobe? if so, what did they say?
Old June 10th 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MI

On 6/9/13 4:53 PM, in article ,
"nospam" wrote:

In article , MI
wrote:

They claim Adobe is working on it, but I guess unless one signs up for the
monthly rental those of using CS5 or 6 will be out of luck and will just
have be prepared to keep rebooting or whatever it takes.

that's completely false.

adobe has repeatedly said that cs6 will continue to get bug fixes,
compatibility fixes, security fixes, etc.

it just won't get any new *features*.

if what apple is saying is true and it's actually an adobe bug, then
adobe will fix it. have you contacted adobe? if so, what did they say?

This is one reason, I wrote here. My technician and I preparing a
presentation. I thought you might be able to add some information. I got
Apple's edited diagnostic. For some reason they won't give all of it to us.

I'm glad I misinterpreted Adobe's support. I didn't like the idea that they
were forcing us to go on the cloud.

--
Martha

Old June 10th 13, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , MI
wrote:

They claim Adobe is working on it, but I guess unless one signs up for the
monthly rental those of using CS5 or 6 will be out of luck and will just
have be prepared to keep rebooting or whatever it takes.

that's completely false.

adobe has repeatedly said that cs6 will continue to get bug fixes,
compatibility fixes, security fixes, etc.

it just won't get any new *features*.

if what apple is saying is true and it's actually an adobe bug, then
adobe will fix it. have you contacted adobe? if so, what did they say?

This is one reason, I wrote here. My technician and I preparing a
presentation. I thought you might be able to add some information. I got
Apple's edited diagnostic. For some reason they won't give all of it to us.

why won't they?

i also am skeptical it's an adobe bug.

I'm glad I misinterpreted Adobe's support. I didn't like the idea that they
were forcing us to go on the cloud.

although they'd love it if you did, they're not forcing anyone.
Old June 10th 13, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

On 6/9/2013 8:00 PM, MI wrote:

On 6/9/13 4:53 PM, in article ,
"nospam" wrote:

In article , MI
wrote:

They claim Adobe is working on it, but I guess unless one signs up for the
monthly rental those of using CS5 or 6 will be out of luck and will just
have be prepared to keep rebooting or whatever it takes.

that's completely false.

adobe has repeatedly said that cs6 will continue to get bug fixes,
compatibility fixes, security fixes, etc.

it just won't get any new *features*.

if what apple is saying is true and it's actually an adobe bug, then
adobe will fix it. have you contacted adobe? if so, what did they say?

This is one reason, I wrote here. My technician and I preparing a
presentation. I thought you might be able to add some information. I got
Apple's edited diagnostic. For some reason they won't give all of it to us.

I'm glad I misinterpreted Adobe's support. I didn't like the idea that they
were forcing us to go on the cloud.

Jeep in mind that in the eyes of some people, Apple can do nothing
wrong. Having said that, and since you are business dependent, I would
verify with Adobe that it is indeed their issue.
There may also be a conflict with another program on your machine.

If Adobe wants to charge for the call, pay them the money, and argue
later, if it is indeed an Adobe issue.

Good luck.

--
PeterN
Old June 10th 13, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , MI
wrote:

At the end of March I bought a 27 inch iMac with 16 GB of memory, 3.4GHz
Intel Core i7 processor. It has a 3 TB fusion drive. I am running Mountain
Lion (10.8.4)

Since I bought this machine there have been occasions (about every 10 days
to 2 weeks) when the clock stops. To restart it, I have to reboot.

that sounds like hardware.

More seriously, on several occasions I have had the system freeze and I have
had difficulty getting the system to quit. It takes several tries and
several methods. Last time it happened, I got a dialogue stating that the
startup drive was full and which open programs did I want to close.

how full is your hard drive?

one thing to try is open the console app when it happens and see what
clues might be there. much of it won't make sense unless you're a
programmer, but there might be something that stands out.
Old June 10th 13, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

'jeep' ?

anyway, if that's supposed to be a subtle jab at me, you're mistaken,
as usual. apple does a lot of stuff wrong.

as i posted already, i don't think it's adobe's bug and the more i
think about, it's the mac.

Having said that, and since you are business dependent, I would
verify with Adobe that it is indeed their issue.

i suggested that.

There may also be a conflict with another program on your machine.

what she is describing is happening at a much lower level, and apps run
in their own user space anyway so they can't conflict with each other,
nor can they cause the symptoms she's describing unless there's a
kernel extension, which there is not with creative suite.

in other words, you're talking out your ass.

If Adobe wants to charge for the call, pay them the money, and argue
later, if it is indeed an Adobe issue.

don't pay them a cent.

all that's needed is a confirmation that it's a known issue and they're
working on it or that apple was bull****ting. my guess is the latter.
Old June 10th 13, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

MI wrote:

At the end of March I bought a 27 inch iMac with 16 GB of memory, 3.4GHz
Intel Core i7 processor. It has a 3 TB fusion drive. I am running Mountain
Lion (10.8.4)

Since I bought this machine there have been occasions (about every 10 days
to 2 weeks) when the clock stops. To restart it, I have to reboot.

File a bug with Apple.

More seriously, on several occasions I have had the system freeze and I have
had difficulty getting the system to quit.

File another bug with Apple.

Your computer seems to have a bad problem! With Windows I'd
say 'virus?'.

It takes several tries and
several methods. Last time it happened, I got a dialogue stating that the
startup drive was full

Check how full each and every partition is. Find out which
one is our startup partition. Find out why it is full.
(Where is your swap? Where is your tempdir?)

and which open programs did I want to close. All that
was open was a game of solitaire, my Mail account and the Finder. After I
finally got it shut down it wouldn't reboot. After waiting about 1/2 hour I
tried again. No luck. So, when all else fails I pulled the plug and the
machine spontaneously rebooted on its own.

We took the machine into the Apple store as it is still under warranty and
had a complete diagnostic done. After two days of testing the answer my
technician and I got is that it is a Adobe glitch and that Adobe knows that
a patch is required. They claim the problem is between the fusion drive and
Creative Suite. After you have used one of the programs the startup drive
doesn't clear.

File a bug with both Apple annd Adobe.

They claim Adobe is working on it, but I guess unless one signs up for the
monthly rental those of using CS5 or 6 will be out of luck and will just
have be prepared to keep rebooting or whatever it takes.

Has anyone else encountered this problem. Apples says it is the fusion drive
that does not react properly with Adobe's program.

UNLESS Adobe monkeys around with the drive --- which would
mean it has root rights or Apple's OS is buggy --- it's an
Apple fault in my eyes: using a HDD as a HDD, saving files,
storing data, ... that MUST not depend on the technology of
a functioning HDD (or SSD, for that matter).

-Wolfgang
Old June 10th 13, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2013.06.09 19:46 , MI wrote:
[...]

Fusion drive's functionality should be completely transparent to
applications.

--
"A Canadian is someone who knows how to have sex in a canoe."
-Pierre Berton
Old June 11th 13, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

On 6/9/2013 8:37 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

I never mentioned our name, don't think you're that important. Besides,
I have never been bashful, since I was eighteen.
Muttering something about protesting too much.

as i posted already, i don't think it's adobe's bug and the more i
think about, it's the mac.

Having said that, and since you are business dependent, I would
verify with Adobe that it is indeed their issue.

i suggested that.

Good for you. did I say you didn't.

There may also be a conflict with another program on your machine.

what she is describing is happening at a much lower level, and apps run
in their own user space anyway so they can't conflict with each other,
nor can they cause the symptoms she's describing unless there's a
kernel extension, which there is not with creative suite.

in other words, you're talking out your ass.

Since you deny software conflicts, read this, which I ran into, and
wrote about several days ago.

http://support.dxo.com/entries/23411333-image-processing-does-not-start

If Adobe wants to charge for the call, pay them the money, and argue
later, if it is indeed an Adobe issue.

don't pay them a cent.

It's obvious you know nothing about business. It's far more important
for the OP to solve the issue, than to stand on principle.

all that's needed is a confirmation that it's a known issue and they're
working on it or that apple was bull****ting. my guess is the latter.

What is needed is for the OP to make her presentation.

--
PeterN