Chenistry in developing Photographs

Old April 25th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Chenistry in developing Photographs

Greetings, I am new to the group.

I am currently working on a project for my high school. I am
researching the chemical reactions in developing photographs.

If any one has any web sites or books that have this information in its
simplest form please post.

Specifically I need help in answering the following questions.
· The chemical reactions of the developer
· The chemical reactions of the stop bath
· The chemical reactions of the fixer
· Also, what makes the developing paper light sensitive

I know what these chemicals do, but need to know more about the
chemistry that occurs.

Old April 25th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Athena89" wrote

I am currently working on a project for my high school. I am
researching the chemical reactions in developing photographs.

If any one has any web sites or books that have this information in its
simplest form please post.

Mees, "Theory of the Photographic Process", 1st or 2nd edition,
don't get the 3rd.

Local library - you may have to do interlibrary loan as only
some libraries have large collections of books on photography.
In Cleveland there are only two.

The web is great at covering what is happening now but not so
great about covering the fundamentals.

Old April 25th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On 25 Apr 2006 13:01:20 -0700, "Athena89"
wrote:

Specifically I need help in answering the following questions.
· The chemical reactions of the developer
· The chemical reactions of the stop bath
· The chemical reactions of the fixer
· Also, what makes the developing paper light sensitive

I think you left out the five most important parts.

1) Subject
2) Composition
3) Film
4) Camera
5) Lighting

The gist is that the developer (a combination of alakli and developing
agent usually preserved with some sodium sulfite) provides ions to to
an exposed image in the film. The ions allow the silver in the exposed
areas to precipitate and form an image. The more exposure, the more
material precipitates. The stop bath is an acid that absorbs the ions
and stops the reaction. The fixer removes any undeveloped halide
salts.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 25th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Athena89" wrote

I am currently working on a project for my high school. I am
researching the chemical reactions in developing photographs.

If any one has any web sites or books that have this information in its
simplest form please post.

Mees, "Theory of the Photographic Process", 1st or 2nd edition,
don't get the 3rd.

Actually, if the third is the only edition you can find, you might as well
get it. The only trouble I know of with the third edition is that it does
not comply with your request for "this information in its simplest form." It
is quite complex, but if you have finished a very good class in chemistry,
you can probably understand a lot of it. Chapter 4, 5, and 13, 14, 15 should
pretty well cover it. Just skip the parts that are too hard and you may get
a good idea of what is going on.

But as I said, it will be a lot of work for you to read it. If you have a
good chemistry teacher, (s)he may be a big help in understanding this stuff.

Local library - you may have to do interlibrary loan as only
some libraries have large collections of books on photography.
In Cleveland there are only two.

The web is great at covering what is happening now but not so
great about covering the fundamentals.

^^-^^ 16:50:01 up 15 days, 6:17, 3 users, load average: 4.41, 4.44, 4.31

Old April 26th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Athena89" wrote
I am currently working on a project for my high school. I am
researching the chemical reactions in developing photographs.

Mees, "Theory of the Photographic Process", 1st or 2nd edition,

But as I said, it will be a lot of work for you to read it. If you have a
good chemistry teacher, (s)he may be a big help in understanding this
stuff.

It is a high-school paper ... the skill to be learned is bafflement
with bull****.

My 11th grade chemistry paper was:

"The effect of 5-Hydroxytriptamine antagonists on synaptic
potential with respect to signals between the sclera and
the lateral reticular gyrus in the cat with emphasis on
molecular structure."

It got an A+ with commendations.

You only have to understand one word in ten if teach' can
only fathom one in twenty.

Because, the English translation is:

"The effect of LSD on a cat and what it does to pain
signals from it's flayed eyeball to a metal rod
shoved into the side of its head. Illustrated with
hexagons and pentangles."

And if the teacher knew that I probably would have failed the course.

Pick a collection of paragraphs in Mees, paraphrase every 5th
sentence and look up the long words in Wiki in case someone
asks: what the hey, it's the same technique used in generating
a Ph.D. thesis: read 20 books and write a 21st summarizing what
you have read. Next year's candidate will have 21 books to
read...

I am guessing that there are 1, 2, 3 -- 10??? folks reading this
newsgroup who can make head or tale of most of Mees, or
care to, for that matter.

Old April 26th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Athena89" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings, I am new to the group.

I am currently working on a project for my high school. I am
researching the chemical reactions in developing
photographs.

If any one has any web sites or books that have this
information in its
simplest form please post.

Specifically I need help in answering the following
questions.
7 The chemical reactions of the developer
7 The chemical reactions of the stop bath
7 The chemical reactions of the fixer
7 Also, what makes the developing paper light sensitive

I know what these chemicals do, but need to know more about
the
chemistry that occurs.

There is a pretty good on-line summary at:
http://www.cheresources.com/photochem.shtml

The best medium level books are all long out of print but
may be available at a good library. Look for:

_Photographic Materials and Processes_ Stroebel, Compton,
Current, Zakia 1986 The Focal Press There is a second
edition but the first edition is more complete.

Another fairly recent book is:
_Modern Photographic Processing_ Grant Haist The original
was published I think by Wiley but Grant has reprinted it
and its available from him. A larger library should have it.

An older book written at an intermediate level is:
_Fundamentals of Photographic Theory_ 2nd edition, James and
Higgins, 1960 Morgan & Morgan.

Be aware that much photographic and other chemical theory
has changed very considerably even in the last decade so
some of the older books can be misleading. Unfortunately,
there is no single source for modern theory not do there
seem to be any written at a level understandable to someone
without a graduate degree in chemistry.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 26th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:06:34 -0500, "Mike King"
wrote:

Read the post, OP needs help with a chemistry project.

So did I when I was in the 8th grade. Now if one wants to get a little
more advanced then perhaps we need to ask for clarification as to the
subject. Is this pertinent to black-&-white processes or are we
looking at
Old April 26th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote:

Read the post, OP needs help with a chemistry project.

So did I when I was in the 8th grade. Now if one wants to get a little
more advanced then perhaps we need to ask for clarification as to the
subject. Is this pertinent to black-&-white processes or are we
looking at

E6, C41, K12, platinum, palladium, carbro, POP, ziatype, etc, etc,....
Or maybe just plain ol' Polaroid.

Hmmm, it does get a little complex doesn't it. Simple questions get
simple answers. Detailed questions can get detailed answers.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old April 26th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:16:55 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:

I am guessing that there are 1, 2, 3 -- 10??? folks reading this
newsgroup who can make head or tale of most of Mees, or
care to, for that matter.

And which one are you ? 1, 2 or 3 ?

==
John S. Douglas