Canon 10d or Nikon D70.

Old August 12th 04, 03:46 AM
Dmanfish

Default Canon 10d or Nikon D70.

I am swithching a dozen sports and portrait photographers from film to
digital. I shoot the Canon digital SLRs and enjoy the technology. Are there
any real reasons why to choose the 10d over the D70? What are the pros and
cons? The Nikon rep praises his hardware as does the Canon rep. Can any
users help me? I know they are not apple to apple - but thats why I need to
discover users experiences. Thanks in advance - please email responses to

Old August 12th 04, 04:22 AM
Ray Paseur

I have the D70 and have used it successfully in portrait work. It is not
as good at action shots. YMMV, but I would look beyond the D70 for sports
coverage. For portrait, you'll be very pleased with D70 images. D70 +
Nikkor glass experiences listed he www.non-aol.com/D70/

~Ray

Old August 12th 04, 04:36 AM
Drifter

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:46:00 -0400, "Dmanfish"
wrote:

I am swithching a dozen sports and portrait photographers from film to
digital. I shoot the Canon digital SLRs and enjoy the technology. Are there
any real reasons why to choose the 10d over the D70? What are the pros and
cons? The Nikon rep praises his hardware as does the Canon rep. Can any
users help me? I know they are not apple to apple - but thats why I need to
discover users experiences. Thanks in advance - please email responses to

You'll get all kinds of responses to this but the truth is that the
cameras are very close to each other and either (handled competently)
will give good results. I would think the deciding factor would be
what equipment (specifically lenses) you already have. If you have
compatible Canon lenses, go with Canon. If you have compatible Nikon
lenses, go with Nikon.

On the other hand if you are looking at equipment for a "sports
shooter" maybe you should really consider the Canon 1D MkII. It is a
real "machine gun" for rapid sequence photography, assuming you have
the budget of course.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Old August 12th 04, 06:42 AM
David J Taylor

Drifter wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:46:00 -0400, "Dmanfish"
wrote:

[]
On the other hand if you are looking at equipment for a "sports
shooter" maybe you should really consider the Canon 1D MkII. It is a
real "machine gun" for rapid sequence photography, assuming you have
the budget of course.

How does if compare with the Nikon D2H? Does it have the same remote
wireless support?

Cheers,
David

Old August 12th 04, 08:48 AM
Bernhard Mayer

"Dmanfish" wrote in message ...

I am swithching a dozen sports and portrait photographers from film to
digital. I shoot the Canon digital SLRs and enjoy the technology. Are there
any real reasons why to choose the 10d over the D70? What are the pros and
cons? The Nikon rep praises his hardware as does the Canon rep. Can any
users help me?

I have shot and owned both and I have switched from 10D to D70. My
reason was that the D70 is significantly faster in image review,
switch on to ready and max. no. of shots per second. The way I shoot,
these things matter to me. The way I live doesn't give me enough money
to afford the Canon 1D Mark II - the obvious choice given my interest,
my (small but existing) investment in Canon glass and perhaps my
history.

The other pros and cons don't really matter to me. Both had their
issue of AF backfocusing. The 10D has cleaner images most of the times
but is significantly more likely to blow highlights (typical Canon
metering) whereas the Nikon is more likely to underexpose (typical
Nikon metering) - in my digital darkroom blown highlights are evil,
slight underexposure is tolerable/correctable. It's easier to identify
good Canon glass (L logo) than it is to identify good Nikon glass
(price ticket). If you are into medium to long range tele lenses, I
think Canon has the better options.