Rebel XT, made in Japan, made in Thailand

Old December 8th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jazu

Default Rebel XT, made in Japan, made in Thailand

Hi
Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

Old December 8th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill

"jazu" wrote in message
Hi
Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

I don't think the XT is made in Thailand, at least mine was made in
Japan, as were the lenses. Perhaps some stores are importing Japanese
cameras through Thailand as "grey market" cameras to make higher
profits? You have to be prepared for that.

As for Thailand manufacturing, it's just fine with Nikon products. My
D80 and lenses were made in Thailand, and they're of equal build
quality to the Canon products I owned. It's the quality control in the
manufacturing plant that matters, not the physical location of the
plant.

Old December 8th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 04:51:39 GMT, "jazu"
wrote:

I wrote email to some sellers and they reply to me with Thailand

It would be instructive to us if you would say what email you wrote,
and what the response was, besides "Thailand."
IOW, did you ask for the country of manufacture, or where they got the
cameras? Different questions, which can elicit different answers.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old December 8th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

"jazu" wrote in message
Hi
Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

Would not surprise nor concern me. Canon QA goes off shore, along with the
manufacturing. You can get a lemon from any production line.

In any case, I'd bet the source of the components is much the same.

Old December 9th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"jazu" wrote in message
I asked "where it was made."

news

"Bill" wrote in message
"jazu" wrote in message
[...]

Hi.

I wonder if some of the workers in Thailand, who so lovingly assemble these
hi-tech cameras, get a bit concerned when they hear of them going to the
USA, where a lot of them will be used by people who do not even understand
the instruction manual.

Roy G

Old December 9th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 02:55:26 GMT, "jazu"
wrote:

I asked "where it was made."

Isn't there a sticker on the camera somewhere that says where it was
made?
ISTR that's a requirement if it's imported into the US.
My 30D clearly says, "Made in Japan."
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old December 9th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

jazu wrote:
Hi
Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

Though most would claim that with specific QC measures in place,
quality can't vary by much, there have been anecdotal (though informed)
opinions raised about some products like this to the effect that the
Chinese made units are not as good. However, you'd have to get two of
them side by side to really check them out. In the case of some optics
whose production had shifted from Japan to Taiwan, there were
differences in favour of the Japanese.

Old December 11th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Bill wrote:

"jazu" wrote in message
Hi
Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

I don't think the XT is made in Thailand, at least mine was made in
Japan, as were the lenses. Perhaps some stores are importing Japanese
cameras through Thailand as "grey market" cameras to make higher
profits? You have to be prepared for that.

As for Thailand manufacturing, it's just fine with Nikon products. My
D80 and lenses were made in Thailand, and they're of equal build
quality to the Canon products I owned. It's the quality control in the
manufacturing plant that matters, not the physical location of the
plant.

Hello, Bill:

Indeed, QC counts the most. My various Kodak digcams were made in either
China or Japan, and there's no apparent difference in quality, between
any of them.

Cordially,
John Turco