Olympus mju 800 Digital

Old October 11th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Per Nordenberg

Default Olympus mju 800 Digital

I'm not sure this is the right group for this question, since the camera I'm
asking about doesn't have a viewfinder at all (only the LCD screen at the
back). Please redirect me if this is the wrong group.

In the specifications from Olympus it is said that this camera has "Image
stabilized shooting mode":
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29...ifications.htm

Is this the same kind of electronic image stabilizer that is found in the
C-2100 Ultra Zoom? My understanding was that Olympus gave up image
stabilization after the C-2100 UZ, at least in digital ZLR cameras. The
largest Swedish photo dealer on the net - cyberphoto.se - doesn't mention
any image stabilizer in the mju 800:
http://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=m800b

Now, as far as I can see someone has to be right and someone has to be
wrong, but I simply can't figure it out. TIA for any help.

Regards,

Per Nordenberg

Jag använder en gratisversion av SPAMfighter för privata användare.
3158 spam har blivit blockerade hittills.
Betalande användare har inte detta meddelande i sin e-post.
Hämta gratis SPAMfighter idag!

Old October 11th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor

Per Nordenberg wrote:
[...]

Per, this probably isn't the most appropriate group, try:

rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

That camera does not have an optical image stabliser, and is therefore not
in the same class as those that do. The review site, DP Review, only
gives it an "above average" rating, which is about the lowest rating it
gives.....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olym...800/page15.asp

DP Review only mentions "Blur protection to guard against the effects of
camera shake ", which might just mean it turns up the ISO in low light.

David

Old October 11th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Per Nordenberg

"David J Taylor"
skrev i meddelandet .uk...
Per Nordenberg wrote:
[...]

Thanks David. It was like I suspected then. The mju 800 does not have the
same image stabilizer as in my C-2100 UZ. I saw an auction on a mju 800
where the seller claimed it had a built-in "image stabilizer".

Why then have Olympus abandoned IS in ZLR cameras? They continue to make
several models with 10X optical zoom, but none with IS. It doesn't make
sense to me.

Regards,

Per Nordenberg

Jag använder en gratisversion av SPAMfighter för privata användare.
3162 spam har blivit blockerade hittills.

Old October 12th 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor

Per Nordenberg wrote:
[]
Thanks David. It was like I suspected then. The mju 800 does not have
the same image stabilizer as in my C-2100 UZ. I saw an auction on a
mju 800 where the seller claimed it had a built-in "image stabilizer".

Why then have Olympus abandoned IS in ZLR cameras? They continue to
make several models with 10X optical zoom, but none with IS. It
doesn't make sense to me.

Regards,

Per Nordenberg

If true, it certainly seems an odd decision. Most of the cameras with IS
usually tout it in large letters on the front, and I don't see that on the
Olympus. Panasonic have also has a advertising campaign on British TV
featuring situations where their IS would help.

Perhaps Olympus got fed up with paying patent rights money to someone?

Cheers,
David