S3 IS = anyone unhappy?

Old September 13th 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Bob H

Default S3 IS = anyone unhappy?

I've had one to use for a couple weeks now, and overall the features are
great, but I'm becoming unhappy with:

-soft pics -- turning up sharpness etc introduces others factors

-fringing at telephoto lenths on brighter objects

-noisy above 100 ISO

-CA can happen under easily in contrasty shots

Great zooming and movie modes aside, I'm tipping toward returning the camera
and maybe go for a "cheap" DSLR.

But then I tell myself that for what I'll be using it for (printing no
bigger than the occasional 8"x10"), that despite its deficiencies, it will
do and I should settle.

Has any one else come to criticize//dislike their S3 IS?

Old September 14th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
SJ

Just got mine Sunday, haven't really had much time with it. I went with the
reviews about the camera and just handling it. The panasonics (FZ7, FZ30?),
apparently have better quality lenses, but everyone compains about the noise
above 80 iso, and I HATE the proprietary battery. Considered the Sony H5,
but when handling it, it was the ugliest, worst handling camera I looked at.
So since I didn't want the hassle and to lug around a D50 or D80 DSLR, I
opted for the S3. I could let you know after I play with it a little.

Old September 14th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
S.Nufkin

In article ,
"SJ" wrote:

The panasonics (FZ7, FZ30?),
apparently have better quality lenses, but everyone compains about the noise
above 80 iso, and I HATE the proprietary battery.

The FZ30 battery is a DREAM. Last for yonks, have never had one go flat
in the bag. My previous S1 IS needed 4 sets of NiMH AAs to be sure I
could go an afternoon without having to stop off at a service station to
pick up some Alkalines. If anything the S3's use of AA's is a minus.

I leave the FZ30 on auto most of the time, to concentrate of composure
of the images. Frankly the odd bit of grain (aka 'noise') is something
I've never worried about since I started photography back in the 50's.

That said, and I'm judging by my S1, I'd say to Bob H that you will love
the S3. It's a very useful camera, easy to lug around, very versatile
and capable of stunning shots if the conditions are right. In fact I'm
wondering what you consider 'soft' (unless there have been changes
between the S1's 10x and the S3's 12x lens.)

I had a look back thru iPhoto for some of my earlier work with the S1.
Yes, I can see a little purple fringing and noise, but only at maximum
enlargement. With the right content, the audience won't notice or care
about technical subtleties.
--
S. Nufkin
[I started life with nothing and still have most of it left]
Old September 14th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Bob H

"Andrew MacPherson" wrote in message
ddress_disguised...
(Bob H) wrote:

Has any one else come to criticize//dislike their S3 IS?

I'm still using an S1, but your comments seem to tie in with what I've
seen said about the S3. All these cameras have their problems though,
and the only thing stopping me updating today is the fact I'd really
like a better EVF (more pixels). But the only other camera I'm drawn to
is the FZ50... and apart from anything else, it's huge. I like the S3's
pocketability (ok, coat pockets) and relative anonymity, especially
using the swivelling LCD. I'm also very attached to Canon's high movie
quality.

The only dSLR I'd consider is the K100D with onboard IS. But I really
don't want to be worrying about dust all the time.

Andrew McP

dpreview has a thorough review of the FZ50. I was set to look at one until
I read it. My main objection to the cam is the excessive processing causing
unwanted effects. This cam could have been great. So much was done right
with it. So far I am concluding that small sensors/cheaper optics
implementations may not be the way to go for me, mainly because I can't get
past noise / processing issues.

I find the S3 does its best work at lowest ISO settings. Color noise
becomes objectionable to me in low light shots. Post-processing doesn't
always cure the ills either, I'm finding.

I've discovered the LCD on the S3 can in certain situations be somewhat too
small for picture framing and comp unless it's held closely by, especially
when trying to shoot moving targets. I find myself going to the EVF more
often than not for many shots. Also, I find the LCD can be a bit dark under
certain conditions even though it is set to the bright setting.

The EVF is quite usable, but the graininess is somewhat objectionable, and
using it to manually focus even with the center magnified, is somewhat of a
PITA not only because of the graininess but also because MF is achieved by
having to hold the MF button in while thumbing for adjustment (two hands
required). Requiring two hands isn't the EVF's fault, since the LCD can be
used as well. However, I have achieved spot-on results even in low light,
so I suppose its all in getting accustomed to it. The EVF is really a good
implementation for what it is at this price level, if not a bit undersized
itself.

Having a dedicated ISO button is great, but I object to the noise found
above the lowest settings, espec. in low-light shots. For me, that noise
sort of defeats the reason for having high ISO's.

I've checked out the K100D, but that cam has some serious drawbacks itself,
one of which is white balance indoors. That, with a puny buffer, kept me
walking. The IS on it works well, and is a brilliant implementation.

A better bet might be the forthcoming K10D. This one sounds hot and has
much in the way of updated capabilities, and is weatherized to boot.

Last night I checked out the D80 on kenrockwell.com, and I must say I am
completely blown away by its lack of noise and impressive sharpness. I'm
def going to lug my SD card into a CC and shoot with it, to see if I like it
at all. The problem for me would be size; this is where the S3 shines.
Cost, the S3 shines as well. I think for the average amateur like myself
the S3 is truely a great solution. Lack of a flash hotshoe, however, sucks.

With prices falling on the S3 (S4 being announced at Photokina?) ($340
shipped free with 1gig card, newegg.com!), it truely is turning into an
amazing bargain.

Old September 14th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

SJ wrote:

Just got mine Sunday, haven't really had much time with it. I went with the
reviews about the camera and just handling it. The panasonics (FZ7, FZ30?),
apparently have better quality lenses,

Leica lenses on the Panasonic are probably better but do not match the
Leica lenses of old but I am quite sure that the Canon lenses are very
acceptable. I think that the FZ7 handles better, is lighter, and for me
has more usable features. I found, at least the Canon S2 to be very
slow in focusing especially at longer zooms and do not know if that
problem was corrected in the S3.

The bottom line is if a professional photogrpher took the same pictures
using both camera and enlarged the prints to an 8.5x11 below ISO 200 I
do not think that the majority of people would be able to tell what
print was taken with what camera.

That said, noise may be a problem on certain photos above ISO 100 (on
certain photos) but at the same time overprocessing noise can leed to
softer images. The bottom line is you have a small sensor with ever
increasing pixels that are lower in quality than on a camera like the D50.

But I have narrowed my choice for an EVR Long Zoom camera to the Canon
S3 and the Panasonic FZ7.

but everyone compains about the noise
above 80 iso, and I HATE the proprietary battery. Considered the Sony H5,
but when handling it, it was the ugliest, worst handling camera I looked at.
So since I didn't want the hassle and to lug around a D50 or D80 DSLR, I
opted for the S3. I could let you know after I play with it a little.

m...

Old September 14th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

(Bob H) wrote:

Has any one else come to criticize//dislike their S3 IS?

I'm still using an S1, but your comments seem to tie in with what I've
seen said about the S3. All these cameras have their problems though,
and the only thing stopping me updating today is the fact I'd really
like a better EVF (more pixels). But the only other camera I'm drawn to
is the FZ50... and apart from anything else, it's huge.

I know what you are saying. I would like a better, sharper, and
brighter EVF also as I do not use an LCD for taking photos. However,
the FZ7 or maybe the future FZ8 in about 6 months appear to be the EVFs
of choice. For the size and weight and inconvenience of the FZ50 you
might as well consider a Canon DR XTi with the kit lense. It has more
options, little noise if any up to ISO1600, a dust cleaning system and
many more features. It appears that it would not be much more
inconvenient to lug around and does not cost that much more.