Best 5 - 6 MP current model

Old December 11th 03, 02:13 AM
Q. Lu

"Allen Worthington" wrote in message

If you're partial to Nikon and can wait six months or so, Nikon plans
to release a lower priced SLR using the same 6mp sensor as the D100.
John

Wait for the Nikon. They are far superior when it comes to lens selection
than Canon ever was. I would spring for the D100 if you can swing it.

I am not sure about the "far superior" remark. Nikkor lenses may have a
slight edge over Canon in terms of selection (maybe even quality as some
people would argue), but not by much. Nikkors are more expensive that I
know. If you are willing to go third parties, then there are plenty of
selections with either brand.

Old December 11th 03, 02:13 AM
Q. Lu

"Mon11" wrote in message
om...
"dfp" wrote in message

The Fuji is crap. Nothing compares to the 717 short of the Rebel.

I second the F717 comment.
-mon11

That would be a good choice, at least better than Fuji.

Old December 11th 03, 10:01 AM
Wolverine

Fuji S7000 is never crap if you know how to use a camera. It is not
clearly for point and shooters where the default settings are the only
ones used. The S7000 is quite capable even compared to the F717. My
friend has the S7000 and I have the F717 but I would not recommend it
because of its bulkiness and proprietary choice and use of batteries
and memory cards. Sony just kills consumers with their accessory
prices. On the other hand, The s7000 can be had for as low as
U$550.00. Its main attraction is that it is is capable of huge (poster
size)36X40 inches printouts from its 12MP. I saw the printout done at
a local Kodak processing centeer and it was really amazingly sharp and
vivid. I had the S7000 for a couple of days and it is so simple to use
and very ergonomic. It just molds in your hands. Fuji has been known
for producing very accurate color and the S7000 is very much capable
of that.

The Sony, while no doubt that it can also produce excellent photos, it
is on the other hand very awkward to use because of its body style.
YOu need both hands always although the tiltable and swinging body
does have its merits along with its capability to shoot in total
darkness.

Try to reasearch in dpreview.com and interact with all the "users" in
the forums. You will get much more objective review of the cameras you
are considering.

"dfp" wrote in message ...
The Fuji is crap. Nothing compares to the 717 short of the Rebel.

The Fuji FinePix S7000 is a camera with a lot of potential that was
ultimately a let down in the image quality department. In what seems to be a
trend lately on their cameras, Fuji is processing and compressing their
images to death, causing higher than average noise and other digital junk. I
can live with a little "grain" in images, but when it starts eating away at
details, it's too much.

"Bill" wrote in message
Fuji S7000. Almost no shutter lag. Also has 12MP option for larger prints,
best movie mose of all, best super macro and good zoom. Also has a unique
"last 5" continuous mode that is really a nice feature.

Bill

"The Spectre" wrote in message
news
Opinions on new digital camera purchase;

Nikon 5700
Minolta DiMAGE A1
FujiFilm S7000

I sold my n90s and am going digital and want a high quality but simpler
system than my n90s and lenses offered. Mostly landscape, sports and

family
photos. I want as little shutter lag as possible and ocassionlly enlarge

good print.

Thanks

Old December 11th 03, 10:01 AM
Wolverine

This kind of comments really helps. I am sure you didnt even use the
S7000. You just rely on early production reviews. May i suggest going
over to dpreview and check if the S7000 is indeed a crappy digicam.
From what I heard, this camera is not bad at all, it just needs the
operator to really know what he is doing. Default settings are not the
best settings.

I dont have the s7000 but I do have the Sony F717 but i wouldnt not
recommend it because Sony murders the consumers with their proprietary
use of exhorbitantly priced accessories.

Old December 11th 03, 12:52 PM
The Requited

From what I heard, this camera is not bad at all, it just needs the
operator to really know what he is doing. Default settings are not the
best settings.

From what you heard???????? The photos are noisy as hell and overcompressed.
You're an idiot.

Old December 12th 03, 12:30 AM
Tom Pfeiffer

It's pretty silly to take someone to task for "possibly" quoting hearsay and
then closing with a statement starting with "From what I've heard".
Presumably your photo skills are better than your reasoning skills.

At the risk of being burned at the stake for my own heretical opinion, I'll
venture that anyone truly serious about photography should first consider
companies with a significant history of designing and building serious
cameras and not film companies or consumer electronis outfits who try to
assemble them from other peoples parts. Which would lead me to look at
Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus and Pentax and away from Kodak, Sony, Fuji,
Casio, HP, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung.

OTOH, I couldn't agree more that Sony continues to try and lock people into
their proprietary memory sticks, just like they've done before with products
like Betamax and MD disks. They've always been great innovators with killer
products like the VCR, Walkman, Vaio notebook computers and most recently in
the Palm OS world, but they really don't want to fit in with anyone else. I
think they are as much to blame as any other single company for there not
being a unified DVDR standard either, although they can share some of the
blame there with a few others.

Tom P.

From what I heard, this camera is not bad at all, it just needs the

Old December 12th 03, 03:50 AM
Bill

Fuji has a history of designing amd building serious cameras. They also
happen to make some of the finest film in the world.

Bill

"Tom Pfeiffer" wrote in message
[...]

From what I heard, this camera is not bad at all, it just needs the

Old December 12th 03, 09:40 AM
Q. Lu

1) You may hate the shape of Sony F707/717/828, but many people love it. If
you have only used P&S, then it is bulky, but if you are like me, used to
use SLR, then F717 is pretty small. Look, you can not get that fast a lens
with only internal movement on a smaller body.
2) memory sticks are cheap nowadays. And you can get a image tanker kind of
stuff and get 20 gig of memory for less than $150. For battery, go to eBay.
The smaller CCD and slower lens are big disadvantage of S7000. Besides, F717
can be found for $550 too.

om...

Old December 12th 03, 09:43 AM

You're probably best also not listening to the opinions of dinosaur's too
much. The digital camera is very different to film cameras, not only that
but business is different. Alot of the cameras user the same manufacturer's
sensors. Panasonic cameras have Leica lenses, Sony have Zeiss. It isn't that
important who makes the camera - decide on what features you need, identify
which models satisfy those requirements, read several reviews and owners
opinions, and most important - go to a shop and try them out.

[...]

From what I heard, this camera is not bad at all, it just needs the