Advice for Buying a Digital Camera

Old October 25th 03, 11:57 PM

Default Advice for Buying a Digital Camera

Hi all,

I want to buy my first digital camera and really need your advice. Although,
I have experience of working with old fashion floppy type digi-cameras,
somehow frastrating due to capacity of diskette.
- I have heard some of them has video mode, is it usefuel?
- I'm not sure whether need to think about compatiblity of its software with
Windows? Is that a case?
- I'm thinking about something that can take picture of close objects (say
as close as 8-10"/20cm, I guess this means lower focal distance) with a good
quality and also sometimes with slower shutter speed. This is just for fun.
I have a $400-500 budget for something that doesn't force me to sell it next
year.

Thanks for the help.

--
Please reply this, in the group.

Old October 26th 03, 04:58 AM
N.J. Hillary

"M" wrote in message
[...]

Have you checked out some of the websites?

I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and I am very satisfied with it. I have read
strong views about other brands at cheaper prices.

Old October 26th 03, 01:47 PM
Rolf Loeben

The one I found very satisfying isCasion Exilim Z3. Small as a credit card
(slighly thicker), it makes closeups, movies (30 secs) sound and split
pictures (two halfs in two shots).
We all love it, that is me, my friend and his girlfriend. That makes three
cameras.

Regards Rolf
Old October 27th 03, 12:40 AM
Name withheld by request

Here's two great one stop places for comparisions, reviews, user
opinions etc
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
Personally, I'm using a Fuji Finepix S5000, which replaced my Finepix
3800. I loved both, the reason I upgraded is the 5000 has a few more
options to play with, along with a fantastic 10X optical 2.2X digital
zoom. Fast, dosen't eat rechargable batteries, great pictures for
printing, and if I feel the need for optimum picture quality, it
shoots in RAW mode.

Old November 1st 03, 12:26 PM
Coleman E. Howard

"Name withheld by request" wrote in message
Here's two great one stop places for comparisions, reviews, user
opinions etc
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
Personally, I'm using a Fuji Finepix S5000, which replaced my Finepix
3800. I loved both, the reason I upgraded is the 5000 has a few more
options to play with, along with a fantastic 10X optical 2.2X digital
zoom. Fast, dosen't eat rechargable batteries, great pictures for
printing, and if I feel the need for optimum picture quality, it
shoots in RAW mode.

Same here, I dropped my trusty Kodak 290(my first digital camera), and just
got lucky and picked the Finepix S5000. Riding sportbikes is my hobby, but
after having this Finepix S5000 for about a week, I find myself wanted to
take picture rather than ride my sporbike! That's bad. Don't have money
enough for another hobby.

Get the Finepix 3800,S5000 or the S7000, IMO, you can't go wrong, either
being a novice like me, or a expert.

ceh
Finepix S5000

Old November 9th 03, 01:26 AM

first I confess I still haven't bought mine yet. I've used an older 2mp hp,
no zoom. the focus lag/ half depress thing is weird. otherwise OK for day
shots. USB worked fine on win me, win98se.

also I know people happy with Sony
Sony w floppy, using the stick adapter.
and a Sony that writes to mini CD-r.

I like Keller at www.dcresource.com. he has a more 'hands on' writing style.
He has sample shots of what I care/worry about. Fringing, distortion (for
me, I want good quality at wide angles).

Preset Google:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ality+fringing

I don't understand photography, but lower F is 'faster' (=better)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...inter&as_qdr=y

also check recent Usenet comments about "trouble" "problem" broke" [camera
model or brand]

those special search words :-)

rechargeable Li-ion against NiMH. They are in battle for consumers' favor.

I think both Steve's and Keller have info or links to chargers and NiMH, if
you buy an AA using camera. PPS, except tiny ones.

Some cameras have nonrechargeable/unrechargeable lithium (why?).

CompactFlash has long time best media. Smartmedia cards are still common,
but dead future. You won't buy media often, but I see some Usenet complaints
about cards killed by readers or unknown reasons.

Some of these sites must have a 'primer'.
--------

If you have a working SLR, use that for nit picking good shots. And buy a
reliable digital p&s for photo quality. You can buy older, originally
expensive, PPS models if you want features and optics, but older digicams
tend to be slow, etc.

reading recent pcmag
http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0...a=45971,00.asp

cursor down past the namby pamby sales fluff to the charts (gifs)

survey brand
reasons for tech
reasons for repair.

My overall impression:
canon
Olympus

then closely followed by Sony or Nikon or Fuji

Minolta

then Kodak. Hp

then crappier. :_)

Consumer Reports seemed about similar.
==========
I've seen reviews suggesting that Fuji and Minolta have made some models
with 'quirky' advantages and disadvantages. They sound like products that
are savored by certain niche fetishists. :-)
====
Closeout, clearance and remainders add to the confusion.

go to stores and tryout, try the feel of lots of models.

Old November 28th 03, 04:14 AM
McCann

I just bought a Canon Powershot G-5 ...5.0 Pix...With all the do-dads..So
far it lived up to all the good reviews Ive read about it.and its right
around what you have to spend if you find the right retailer.