Problem with Nikon D70 and Vivitar ringlight flash

Old January 17th 05, 05:16 AM
Vexius

Default Problem with Nikon D70 and Vivitar ringlight flash

I have attached a Vivitar 6000AF ringlight flash (for Nikon) to a Nikon
D70. However, I cannot get the shutter to fire. Camera is set to
auto. Settings have been reset to default. The lens is a D series CPU
lens (AF Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8D). The ready light on the flash is
lit, the test button fires the flash just fine. The flash indicator is
blinking. The shutter fires correctly when the flash is not attached.
The flash is TTL capable. I have tried focusing at various ranges from
less than 1 foot to 8 feet. I have tried setting ISO to auto. Is
there a setting I need to change in order for this to work right?

Old January 17th 05, 03:26 PM
Graham Holden

On 16 Jan 2005 20:16:52 -0800, "Vexius" wrote:

I have attached a Vivitar 6000AF ringlight flash (for Nikon) to a Nikon
D70. However, I cannot get the shutter to fire. Camera is set to
auto. Settings have been reset to default. The lens is a D series CPU
lens (AF Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8D). The ready light on the flash is
lit, the test button fires the flash just fine. The flash indicator is
blinking. The shutter fires correctly when the flash is not attached.
The flash is TTL capable. I have tried focusing at various ranges from
less than 1 foot to 8 feet. I have tried setting ISO to auto. Is
there a setting I need to change in order for this to work right?

Never tried to use such a beast, but off-the-top-of-my-head you might try:

a) Set the camera to Manual mode. The D70 only fully supports "iTTL" flash
mode, which I doubt the Vivitar does. From the little I've heard about
using ring flashes, you'd probably want this mode anyway.

b) Switch autofocus mode to AF-C... if you're in AF-S and the camera can't
get focus, it won't fire the shutter (either the distance could be wrong
for the lens, or the flash unit might be blocking the AF-assist light).

b) Connect the flash to the shoe, but not mounting it on the lens... if
this works, then the ring-flash might have been physically constricting the
lens in some way [only a guess -- I don't know how it fits, so I don't know
how likely this is].

HTH.

Old January 17th 05, 04:12 PM
Ronnie Sellar

Vexius wrote:

I have attached a Vivitar 6000AF ringlight flash (for Nikon) to a Nikon
D70. However, I cannot get the shutter to fire. Camera is set to
auto. Settings have been reset to default. The lens is a D series CPU
lens (AF Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8D). The ready light on the flash is
lit, the test button fires the flash just fine. The flash indicator is
blinking. The shutter fires correctly when the flash is not attached.
The flash is TTL capable. I have tried focusing at various ranges from
less than 1 foot to 8 feet. I have tried setting ISO to auto. Is
there a setting I need to change in order for this to work right?

Hi,

D70 Manual, page 188 states that if a 'Nikon' speedlight which isn't
iTTL compatible is attached and is in TTL mode the shutter will lock.
They can however be used in NON TTL auto and manual modes.

RAS
--
Ronnie Sellar