Fuji calls APS to FF "marginal difference" and "pointless"

Old October 8th 16, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Fuji calls APS to FF "marginal difference" and "pointless"

On 08/10/2016 15:13, Alfred Molon wrote:
[]
Some extra pixels/dynamic range/SNR (whatsoever) due to the larger
sensor, at the expense of larger and heavier lenses.

The new E-M1 Mark II looks pretty competivive however. From a system
perspective it's superior to the new Sony A6500 because of the limited
Sony lens range.

Yes, of course, but one has to judge whether those gains are worth the
expense involved. For me, they were not, but others will have different
criteria, of course.

The E-M1 Mark II does look good, although (and please don't laugh) for
me needs I would somewhat prefer a built-in flash. Does it have GPS?

--
Cheers,
David
Old October 8th 16, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article 2016100808533845761-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
As far as using both methods "in sync" is concerned, just how gullible
do you have to be to buy that? If one camera manufacturer implements IS
via IBIS, and another via in-lens where needed the effect is similar.

The photographer used the (new) E-M1 II with the new 12-100 lens.

Since Olympus created both the new body and the lens, it's quite
plausible that Olympus are not lying when they claim the higher
stabilisation level due to the combined body and lens stabilisations.
--
Alfred Molon

Old October 8th 16, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , David Taylor says...
The E-M1 Mark II does look good, although (and please don't laugh) for
me needs I would somewhat prefer a built-in flash. Does it have GPS?

Yes, I also would like to have an in-built flash (but I heard there it
comes with a small flash you can carry with you).

And no, it does not have GPS (sigh). I don't know of any new body from
any manufacturer which has GPS. The Sony A55 and A65 had GPS, but then
Sony took it out from the successor models.
--
Alfred Molon

Old October 8th 16, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 2016-10-08 07:39:34 +0000, Alfred Molon
said:

Savageduck
says...
Probably

because there are Pro FF shooters having this sort of experience:
http://petapixel.com/2016/10/04/sold-nikon-d5-fujifilm-x-t2/

If Fuji added IBIS to their cameras as Sony did (they just added
IBIS in
their A6xxx series), I'd consider a Fuji.

IBIS is just one solution, and Fuji, like Nikon and Canon provide
IS/VR/OS in lenses which are likely to benefit from it.

For those of us with very good vintage lenses, IBIS is the best
solution. Since IBIS doesn't appear to add significant body weight, it
may be the best all-around solution because it accommodates lighter
lenses.

...and yet the cameras those vintage lenses were originally intended for
film and there was no thought of IBIS, or any other IS/VR/OS. As I said,
it is foolish to base one's choice of equipment on a single factor such
as IBIS, thereby excluding some excellent options.

It is not "foolish" if the final result is more useful than without it.
IMO, the differences in image quality between pro-level digital sensors
does not warrant forgoing other technical benefits of a camera, and IBIS
is one such benefit.

BTW: IBIS or not, mount convertors are available for most MILCs, so not
having IBIS does not exclude using those vintage lenses. Just pretend
you are using them as they were originally intended when you were
shooting in an analog photoworld, and didn't shake as much as you do now.

I have yet to see mount converters that provide even the basic
functionality that the lenses have when used with their original film
cameras. It would take one heck of a wonderful camera to warrant such a
compromise.

--
Best regards,

Neil
Old October 9th 16, 12:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 2016-10-08 02:33:12 +0000, Rich A said:

So they jumped to medium format.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/...film-interview

Probably

because there are Pro FF shooters having this sort of experience:
http://petapixel.com/2016/10/04/sold-nikon-d5-fujifilm-x-t2/

Fuji mirrorless lost me when they released the XPro-1 without diopter
correction.
At the time I was hesitating between the EM5 or the XPro-1.
I'm now on a EM5-2 and eyeing the new EM1-2.
But there are certain aspects of the Fujis that to this day attract me.
Mostly the sensor and its high ISO performance.
Mind you, the EM5-2 is perfectly fine at 1600ISO and can hold its own in
astro photography at 6400ISO and that is more than enough for what I
need to do at the moment. Not saying I won't need more!