Holy ****!!! Did Microsoft get religion?

Old September 28th 16, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Holy ****!!! Did Microsoft get religion?

On 2016-09-27 01:54:49 +0000, Bill W said:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 18:51:12 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Monday, 26 September 2016 21:26:12 UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
So I tried to do the Adobe updates last night - I just clicked "update
all", and went to bed. At the same time, MS decided to install the
latest and greatest update to Win 10. I woke up this morning, and my
PC was completely munged. Simply unusable. I determined that it was
not an Adobe issue, so I called MS, and... wait for it... they
actually got it fixed! None of this reinstall Windows crap, or any
other all-day headaches. They remoted in, and just fixed it in
minutes. And I could even understand the tech!

It's a miracle.

First time I've heard someone thank someone for screwing them up then
fixing them. It's the computer version of the Helsinki Syndrome.

Stockholm?...

Unless you were kidnapped and held in a sauna.

"kidnapped and held in a sauna" with Linus Torvalds. Then see what your
computer does!
--
Ken Hart

Old September 28th 16, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| The fact that the entire Windows 10 retail market
| is an unpaid beta testing group for corporate
| business customers, who get patches 4 months later,
| after the wrinkles have been ironed out.
|
| nonsense.
|
| corporate users are never on the cutting edge of anything, no matter
| what it is.

Yes. That's what I'm saying. They don't want
to be. They need a stable fleet. The difference
with Win10 is that Microsoft is providing the
"consumer" market as a forced sucker beta test
group to make sure things are stable when
corporate customers get them:

http://www.howtogeek.com/219166/you-...ndows-10-home/

Old September 28th 16, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Whew! At least somebody got the gag.

Savageduck

Old September 28th 16, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| The fact that the entire Windows 10 retail market
| is an unpaid beta testing group for corporate
| business customers, who get patches 4 months later,
| after the wrinkles have been ironed out.
|
| nonsense.
|
| corporate users are never on the cutting edge of anything, no matter
| what it is.

Yes. That's what I'm saying. They don't want
to be. They need a stable fleet. The difference
with Win10 is that Microsoft is providing the
"consumer" market as a forced sucker beta test
group to make sure things are stable when
corporate customers get them:

win10 is plenty stable and far more secure than win 7/8. it's that the
corporate mindset hates change, even if it's for the better, plus
changing thousands of systems is a ****load of work that they don't
want to do, so they make excuses not to.
Old September 28th 16, 08:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 27/09/2016 20:09, Bill W wrote:
[]
It's very possible, because I don't think there was any problem with
Windows itself.

To answer David's question at the same time, the first clue was when I
opened LR after both updates. When I tried to scroll through the
collections on the left side of the window, it took forever. Then I
saw that the menus would not open, and right clicking did not work on
anything. When other windows opened, only the outline and title bar
would appear. And everything that did work worked very slowly.

What impressed me is that the MS tech was very good, and got to the
source very quickly. He told me that he ended all 3d party processes,
and the PC came back to life immediately. He then used Malwarebytes to
scan for any issues, but found nothing with that.

I am so used to hearing that the only fix is a clean install of
Windows that it was just a relief to stumble across someone who took
the time to look for the actual problem, instead of using the usual
shotgun overkill approach.

Thanks, Bill. As you say, the problem was 3rd-party software, not
Windows. This is not an unknown situation! Hope it's remained OK.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 28th 16, 01:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| Yes. That's what I'm saying. They don't want
| to be. They need a stable fleet. The difference
| with Win10 is that Microsoft is providing the
| "consumer" market as a forced sucker beta test
| group to make sure things are stable when
| corporate customers get them:
|
| win10 is plenty stable....

Which Win10 are you referring to? The one Bill W
had before the update, or the unusable version
he had after the update? Or maybe you're referring
to the pre-anniversay update version? Or some
other version? Maybe next week's version? Win10
is a moving target. It's unstable by definition.

There's no sense trying to explain it all over again,
especially to someone who doesn't even use Windows.
Anyone who's curious can read my link.

Old September 28th 16, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tim...

"Mayayana" wrote in message
"nospam" wrote

| Yes. That's what I'm saying. They don't want
| to be. They need a stable fleet. The difference
| with Win10 is that Microsoft is providing the
| "consumer" market as a forced sucker beta test
| group to make sure things are stable when
| corporate customers get them:
|
| win10 is plenty stable....

Which Win10 are you referring to? The one Bill W
had before the update, or the unusable version
he had after the update?

ever since my PC got the anniversary update it hangs inside various (MS)
applications at unspecified times

Have to hard reboot 5-6 times a day now

good job this isn't a work PC

tim

Old September 28th 16, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 28/09/2016 12:23, Whisky-dave wrote:
[]
Some are quite valid when you have to ensure that everyone is compatable.
It can be quite a bit of work ensuring that, especailly when they have employees that want to other programs and apps that aren't as standard.

We have this problemalmost every year when updating software for teh new term making sure everythings compatable with windos 10 isn;t as easy as just making sure office works on it.

I hope you are on the Windows Insider program, so that you get plenty of
advance warning of possible changes. It's free. In my experience, once
the Win-10 transition has been made there's not too much extra to do.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 28th 16, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 28/09/2016 10:57, Nathan Hale wrote:
[]
I would never give them permission to take remote control of my
system. A company requested that a few months ago and the tech was
shocked that I refused. He had to talk me through things. They were
simple procedures, and not at all something that required such a
horrendous breach of security.

Whilst I can sympathise with that view point, you might (or might not)
learn something by watching. However, I would want to remain in
control as well, and I've only even given access to a laptop PC which
was disconnected from the rest of the network and was the only
externally connected device.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 28th 16, 03:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 28/09/2016 13:51, tim... wrote:
[]
ever since my PC got the anniversary update it hangs inside various (MS)
applications at unspecified times

Have to hard reboot 5-6 times a day now

good job this isn't a work PC

tim

It shouldn't be like that, and isn't like that here on multiple PCs with
either Microsoft or third-party programs. Have you reported the fault,
and what was the response?

--
Cheers,
David