Holy ****!!! Did Microsoft get religion?

Old September 27th 16, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Holy ****!!! Did Microsoft get religion?

So I tried to do the Adobe updates last night - I just clicked "update
all", and went to bed. At the same time, MS decided to install the
latest and greatest update to Win 10. I woke up this morning, and my
PC was completely munged. Simply unusable. I determined that it was
not an Adobe issue, so I called MS, and... wait for it... they
actually got it fixed! None of this reinstall Windows crap, or any
other all-day headaches. They remoted in, and just fixed it in
minutes. And I could even understand the tech!

It's a miracle.
Old September 27th 16, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 18:51:12 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Monday, 26 September 2016 21:26:12 UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
So I tried to do the Adobe updates last night - I just clicked "update
all", and went to bed. At the same time, MS decided to install the
latest and greatest update to Win 10. I woke up this morning, and my
PC was completely munged. Simply unusable. I determined that it was
not an Adobe issue, so I called MS, and... wait for it... they
actually got it fixed! None of this reinstall Windows crap, or any
other all-day headaches. They remoted in, and just fixed it in
minutes. And I could even understand the tech!

It's a miracle.

First time I've heard someone thank someone for screwing them up then fixing them. It's the computer version of the Helsinki Syndrome.

Stockholm?...
Old September 27th 16, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

On Monday, 26 September 2016 21:26:12 UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
So I tried to do the Adobe updates last night - I just clicked "update
all", and went to bed. At the same time, MS decided to install the
latest and greatest update to Win 10. I woke up this morning, and my
PC was completely munged. Simply unusable. I determined that it was
not an Adobe issue, so I called MS, and... wait for it... they
actually got it fixed! None of this reinstall Windows crap, or any
other all-day headaches. They remoted in, and just fixed it in
minutes. And I could even understand the tech!

It's a miracle.

First time I've heard someone thank someone for screwing them up then
fixing them. It's the computer version of the Helsinki Syndrome.

Stockholm?...

Unless you were kidnapped and held in a sauna.

Savageduck

Old September 27th 16, 07:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

On Monday, 26 September 2016 21:26:12 UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
So I tried to do the Adobe updates last night - I just clicked "update
all", and went to bed. At the same time, MS decided to install the
latest and greatest update to Win 10. I woke up this morning, and my
PC was completely munged. Simply unusable. I determined that it was
not an Adobe issue, so I called MS, and... wait for it... they
actually got it fixed! None of this reinstall Windows crap, or any
other all-day headaches. They remoted in, and just fixed it in
minutes. And I could even understand the tech!

It's a miracle.

First time I've heard someone thank someone for screwing them up then
fixing them. It's the computer version of the Helsinki Syndrome.

Stockholm?...

Unless you were kidnapped and held in a sauna.

Okay, that one went over my head. On top of that, now I see that
Helsinki and Stockholm are used interchangeably. I'm floundering.
Old September 27th 16, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 27/09/2016 02:26, Bill W wrote:
So I tried to do the Adobe updates last night - I just clicked "update
all", and went to bed. At the same time, MS decided to install the
latest and greatest update to Win 10. I woke up this morning, and my
PC was completely munged. Simply unusable. I determined that it was
not an Adobe issue, so I called MS, and... wait for it... they
actually got it fixed! None of this reinstall Windows crap, or any
other all-day headaches. They remoted in, and just fixed it in
minutes. And I could even understand the tech!

It's a miracle.

Good news. So what was the problem, and what was the fix?

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 27th 16, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

In what World are Helsinki and Stockholm used interchangeably?
That is like saying Washington and Paris are used interchangeably.

Stockholm is the capital of Sweden, and Helsinki is the capital of Finland.

When one talks of hostages empathizing with their kidnapers it is the
"Stockholm Syndrome".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

There is no "Helsinki Syndrome"

A "sauna" is a traditional Finnish steam bath and bathhouse. Helsinki
is the capital of Finland, and there is no "Helsinki Syndrome", hence
my remark regarding kidnapping and being held in a sauna.

You were correct, you were floundering. ;-)

Savageduck

Old September 27th 16, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"David Taylor" wrote

| So what was the problem

The fact that the entire Windows 10 retail market
is an unpaid beta testing group for corporate
business customers, who get patches 4 months later,
after the wrinkles have been ironed out.

| and what was the fix?

Dramatically lowering expectations so that
a computer that sometimes works is considered
to be a computer in good shape.

Old September 27th 16, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-09-27 13:45:56 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 04:37:47 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Okay, that one went over my head. On top of that, now I see that
Helsinki and Stockholm are used interchangeably. I'm floundering.

In what World are Helsinki and Stockholm used interchangeably?
That is like saying Washington and Paris are used interchangeably.

Stockholm is the capital of Sweden, and Helsinki is the capital of Finland.

When one talks of hostages empathizing with their kidnapers it is the
"Stockholm Syndrome".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

There is no "Helsinki Syndrome"

It's a fairly well-known meme to use "Helsinki Syndrome" as a
deliberate error in place of "Stockholm Syndrome" because it has been
used so many times as inadvertent error. It was used in one of the
"Die Hard" movies.

I must have missed that particular movie, but it remains an error,
inadvertent or otherwise. Unless it was a scripted gag in the movie.
The two cities are certainly not "interchangeable" in my world.

Part of the joke is that it plays on the stereotype of Americans as
ignorant of world geography.

That seems appropriate, though it can be said the stereotype goes
beyond ignorance of world geography.

"Helsinki Syndrome" gets almost as many Google hits as "Stockholm
Syndrome" because of both the deliberate joking use and the
inadvertent mistaken use.

Oh well.

Savageduck

Old September 27th 16, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

My brother moved to Denmark "temporarily" in 1969. He's been a
resident of Denmark ever since.

On one of his visits here, we were in a conversation with doctor
friend of ours and my brother mentioned he lives in Denmark. The
doctor then asked if he liked living in Sweden. He was under the
impression that "Denmark" is a city in Sweden.

Many Americans are woefully ignorant of world geography, but there are
many Europeans who are equally ignorant of US geography. Just
recently a person I know who lives in Oxford UK wrote me to say he'd
be in Key West FL in December and wanted to know if we could meet for
lunch.

When I informed him that it's a 6.5 hour drive between Orlando and Key
West, he was amazed. "But they're both in Florida!" he said.

I am just too curious to be that ignorant. I am fascinated by
geography, just as I am by history. I hear of a place that is new to me
I want to see where it is. For example the European F1 Grand Prix was
held in Baku this year, and with the help of Wikipedia, Google Earth &
Maps, my education continued.

Then in December through mid-January I will be taking another trip to
South Africa, via Amsterdam.

Savageduck

Old September 27th 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

"Helsinki Syndrome" gets almost as many Google hits as "Stockholm
Syndrome" because of both the deliberate joking use and the
inadvertent mistaken use.

where 'gets almost as many google hits' is an order of magnitude less
(i.e., not even close), about the same as orlando syndrome.

stockholm syndrome: 6,040,000
helsinki syndrome: 775,000
orlando syndrome: 773,000