NR: Nikon considering "larger" sensor MILC!

Old October 4th 16, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default NR: Nikon considering "larger" sensor MILC!

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 15:24:49 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:
: On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 21:13:29 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On 24 Sep 2016 08:04:52 GMT, Sandman wrote:
: : In article , Eric Stevens wrote:
: :
: : Sandman:
: : Why not mirrorless with an f-mount? Then we could get a digital
: : Nikon FE, that would be awesome.
: :
: : Why not bite the bullet and come up with an entirely new mount?
: : After all, Canon did.
: :
: : They did, for the 1 series, right? And since that was small sensor the lenses
: : were affordable.
:
: No.
:
: Yes.
:
: I was referring to the EOS mount which was announced in 1987. At that
: point Canon abandoned all earlier mounts and have never looked back
: since. Nikon on the other hand have made a point of maintaining
: compatability since 1959 and I suspect they will now find it
: psychologically difficult to break with tradition and introduce a new
: mount.

It was Jonas I was saying no to, not you. IOW: No, Canon didn't come up with a
new mount for the 1 series, with lenses adapted for its smaller (APS-H)
sensor. And no member of the 1 series was able to use the smaller, cheaper
EF-S lenses that they developed for their APS-C cameras.

Bob
Old October 4th 16, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:51:08 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

: Sandman:
: Why not mirrorless with an f-mount? Then we could get a digital
: Nikon FE, that would be awesome.
:
: Why not bite the bullet and come up with an entirely new mount?
: After all, Canon did.
:
: They did, for the 1 series, right? And since that was small sensor the
: lenses
: were affordable.

No.

Yes.

I was referring to the EOS mount which was announced in 1987. At that
point Canon abandoned all earlier mounts and have never looked back
since.

canon had no choice.

the fd mount could not support autofocus or electrical contacts, nor
could it support ultra-fast lenses (which were mostly for bragging
rights).

canon *had* to change it to advance the platform.

the ef mout was also designed to support nikon lenses with an adapter,
which let canon market autofocus cameras to nikon users, who could keep
using their existing lenses (as manual focus, same as if they didn't
switch), *and* gain autofocus with the new canon system. it worked.

tl;dr - a *huge* benefit for switching.

Nikon on the other hand have made a point of maintaining
compatability since 1959 and I suspect they will now find it
psychologically difficult to break with tradition and introduce a new
mount.

there was a benefit for autofocus slrs to maintain compatibility with
manual focus lenses, something which nikon *could* do, as could pentax.

there is no benefit for mirrorless to maintain compatibility with
legacy lenses because that negates a key advantage of a mirrorless
system, that being smaller lenses (and camera).

Exactly.

if nikon were to come out with a mirrorless system that directly uses f
mount, it would be an instant fail. might as well just keep using an
slr.

Quite true.

they need a smaller mirrorless lens system with an adapter to use
legacy lenses.

I hoope they choose to do that and I hope they do it properly.

Eric Stevens
Old October 7th 16, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Robert Coe wrote:

Sandman:
Why not mirrorless with an f-mount? Then we could get
a digital Nikon FE, that would be awesome.

Eric Stevens:
Why not bite the bullet and come up with an entirely new mount?
After all, Canon did.

Sandman:
They did, for the 1 series, right? And since that was small sensor
the lenses were affordable.

No. Some early members of the 1 series had sensors that were smaller
than FF (but larger than APS-C).

I was talking about the Nikon 1 series of cameras, which did use a new mount.

--
Sandman
Old October 8th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On 7 Oct 2016 18:52:53 GMT, Sandman wrote:
: In article , Robert Coe wrote:
:
: Sandman:
: Why not mirrorless with an f-mount? Then we could get
: a digital Nikon FE, that would be awesome.
:
: Eric Stevens:
: Why not bite the bullet and come up with an entirely new mount?
: After all, Canon did.
:
: Sandman:
: They did, for the 1 series, right? And since that was small sensor
: the lenses were affordable.
:
: No. Some early members of the 1 series had sensors that were smaller
: than FF (but larger than APS-C).
:
: I was talking about the Nikon 1 series of cameras, which did use a new mount.

Ah. I thought you were referring to Eric's mention of Canon.

Bob