Splatwise it went.

Old September 13th 16, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Splatwise it went.

On 2016-09-13 15:56:46 +0000, Bill W said:

On 13 Sep 2016 10:10:22 GMT, Sandman wrote:

Canon G15, G16,

The OVF on my G16 is crap. It is badly distorted, and I believe that
this is a very common problem with this camera, and might even be
normal.

OVF on most compact cameras are crap. The OVF on the Canon G series has
been pretty much the same from the G10 to the G16.They are a compromise
so that you have an alternative to the LCD.

EVF's have improved to the point that in some cases they are superior
to OVF's, and the EVF's and hybrid OVF/EVFs found on the mirrorless
cameras today are very good. The problem with EVF lag has been
minimized to the point that it is hardly worth mentioning.

Personally I hate using the LCD out at arms length for any
framing/composition and I am prepared to tolerate a mediocre OVF to
avoid that annoyance. The only camera I will tolerate that with is my
iPhone, and then it is my camera of last resort.

I have a snap on OVF on the EOS-M. It's a Fed, is Russian and very
Coool... I've taped it slightly to match the 35mm equivalence of the
22/2.0. This makes a extremely compact high performing kit. That said i
use both the LCD and the OVF alternatively. The OVF is especially useful
in difficult light. I'm slightly nearsighted and have little difficulty
with focusing my eyes one the screen, maybe you should get reading
glasses for live view?

The OVF is next to useless with the 5071.8 and 12/2.0, of course.
--
teleportation kills
Old September 13th 16, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Bill W wrote:

Sandman:
Canon G15, G16,

The OVF on my G16 is crap. It is badly distorted, and I believe that
this is a very common problem with this camera, and might even be
normal.

Well, is it worse than on the G12, which is what broke? If not, then it's what
she is used to, right?

--
Sandman
Old September 13th 16, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On 13 Sep 2016 17:38:48 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Bill W wrote:

Sandman:
Canon G15, G16,

The OVF on my G16 is crap. It is badly distorted, and I believe that
this is a very common problem with this camera, and might even be
normal.

Well, is it worse than on the G12, which is what broke?

Never used a G12, so I don't know.

If not, then it's what
she is used to, right?

That's true, and I'm not saying the G16's is unusable, at least for
framing. Trying to focus with it is a real trial, though.
Old September 13th 16, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-09-13 15:56:46 +0000, Bill W said:

[...]

I have the hot-shoe OVF for the auxillary lenses for my old Yashica
Electro35, but I haven't had a need of use it on any of my digital
compacts. As far as being able to use the LCD for Liveview, I have no
problem, especially after having my cataract surgery. I just don't like
using it.

The OVF is next to useless with the 5071.8 and 12/2.0, of course.

Savageduck

Old September 13th 16, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

In article , Bill W wrote:

Sandman:
Canon G15, G16,

The OVF on my G16 is crap. It is badly distorted, and I believe that
this is a very common problem with this camera, and might even be
normal.

Well, is it worse than on the G12, which is what broke?

Never used a G12, so I don't know.

If not, then it's what
she is used to, right?

That's true, and I'm not saying the G16's is unusable, at least for
framing. Trying to focus with it is a real trial, though.

Yup! Manual focus on any of the G series Canon compact cameras is a
PIA, so just stick with AF which does a reasonable job.

I love the manual focus with the Fujifilm EVF which has several
different manual modes including a digital split-image which has a
central magnifying feature, and focus-peaking which will show focus
peaking on edges in (selectable) red, white or blue.

Savageduck

Old September 13th 16, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

In article , Bill W wrote:

[...]

There was some sort of deal at B&H where you got the G16, and their
higher dollar photo printer for an absurdly low price. That's the only
reason I have the G16. The end price of that deal was about the same
as ink refills for my original Canon printer (Pro 9000 Mark II). It
seemed like a good idea at the time, but what I should do is sell the
G16 on Ebay, and it's all a wash. I had intended to buy a better
compact without all the negatives of the G16, but I stumbled across
this deal...
Old September 13th 16, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2016-09-13 12:10:22 +0200, Sandman said:

Or get her a Leica.

Eric is a chepoo. Don't you remember how long it took him to get
himself beyond APS-C? ;-)

And if I had to buy a new camera now it would probably be a D500.

Eric Stevens
Old September 14th 16, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2016-09-13 12:10:22 +0200, Sandman said:

Or get her a Leica.

Eric is a chepoo. Don't you remember how long it took him to get
himself beyond APS-C? ;-)

And if I had to buy a new camera now it would probably be a D500.

You're a diehard! ;-/
--
teleportation kills
Old October 2nd 16, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 20:19:43 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:
: 'It' in this case being my wife's Canon G12.
:
: All this happened some months ago in the high altitudes of the
: Himalayan foot hills. The principal evidence being a bend in the ring
: surrounding the lens. The camera continued to work succesfully until
: recent weeks when on start up it periodically displayed a message:
:
: "Lens Error
:
: The camera will shut down automatically.
: Restart the camera" ... or something like that.
:
: We have taken it into Canon who tell us that the world is nearly out
: of parts to fix this problem, but even so, they can fix it now for
: about the price of what they consider to be an equivalent camera.
:
: The question is "What do we do?".
:
: My wife is adamant that she wants an optical view finder. Canon tells
: us that they are removing optical view finders from all of their
: cameras below DSLRs.
:
: One option is to repair the G12 with which my wife is entirely happy.
: The other option is to buy a ....... what?
:
: Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
:
:
: Just to add to the complication, Canon are nearly out of lens
: assemblies for G12s and they have two more coming in for unknown
: repairs. It looks as though if we are going to follow that route we
: will have to make a decision FAST.
:
: Life's a bummer.

Does your wife really insist on an OVF, or would an eye-level EVF suffice? If
the latter, maybe you should look into the new M-5. It's more expensive than
even a high-end P&S; but compared to the cost of your next trip to the
Himalayas, the difference probably isn't even roundoff error. :^)
Old October 3rd 16, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 07:55:01 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 04:19:45 UTC-4, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

There are so many choices, why not just buy another G12 and chuck that one, or sell it for $40-$50 as a "parts" camera on Ebay.

The lens is surrounded with a bayonet-fitted ring. That took the brunt
of the blow and was out of round. The metal housing of the lens had
also been impacted. At first nobody could get the bayonet ring off but
my son who is built like a medium sized Mack managed eventually. From
then on the camera has seemed to work perfectly. Canon gave me a new
bayonet ring from their scrap heap at no charge.

All's well that ends well.

Eric Stevens