300mm f/2.8 Nikkor (upgrading AI Tokina ATX MC)

Old August 11th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default 300mm f/2.8 Nikkor (upgrading AI Tokina ATX MC)

Which 300mm f/2.8 Nikkor to get if upgrading my AI Tokina ATX MC?
According to Bjorn R. http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html

....the old AI-S is compact with built-in retractable hood, well regarded
but not so good on teleconverters or extension tubes and does have CA,

....the AF ED-IF needs to be stopped down,

....the AF-S comes in 2 confusing versions (newer with green vs blue
coating and carbon fiber barrel) and is sharper but has stinky bokeh
stopped down and a lame tripod mount,

....the AFS VR is probably way beyond my means but much better flare
resistance, bokeh and presumably does well on extension tubes as it is
the closest focusing.

The old Tokina is very useful for me but it does get CA and has a sort
of hazy wavy halo iffy-ness to the sharpness wide open as you would
expect. Would the AI Nikkor be a big step up? I'm probably going to have
a D700 soon if all goes well so this'll be doubly useful to me, and with
1.4x & 2x TCs. Get a 400/5.6 or something instead?... selling the $700
Tokina was going to be part of the justification though. I suppose I
should rent & see for myself.

I generally focus manually anyways but AF would be super handy for
catching birds & butterflies or wildflowers in the wind. Closeup ability
is quite important to me, I use the Tokina on tubes or even a bellows
hand held with the ISO cranked a bit for shutter speed. I also use it
for portrait length nature closeups for soft background effects.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old August 11th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D-Mac[_6_]

Paul Furman wrote:
[...]

Auto focus is not all that great an asset for flying birds. If you use
the centre spot with constant tracking, it is all too easy to fall of
and into a haze of nothing as you miss the shot when the bird moves
unexpectedly. OK for soarers but not for darters!

Have you had a look at the 120 to 300 F/2.8 Sigma Paul? Heavy, big but
right in there in prime country. I used to have one for my 5D but sold
it in the change over the Nikon.
Old August 11th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

D-Mac wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
[...]

I just looked.
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/1..._if_dg_hsm_apo
Around $2,000 is probably where you I'd get a step up from the Tokina
and autofocus would be useful sometimes. Hawks not hummingbirds makes sense.

I have fit a 77mm Canon 500D +2 diopter closeup lens on the 112mm lens
cap and that works so improved resolution free of CA is important. I
wonder if the oldest nikkor would improve that situation? I have a
70-200 VR which I use less after getting the 300... maybe sell that too.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net