I am learning photography

Old June 27th 04, 10:10 PM
Big Bill

Default I am learning photography

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:34:39 -0400, "Jimmy Smith"
wrote:

"Giorgio Preddio" wrote in message
. com...
"Jimmy Smith" wrote in message

.. .
The 10D is great. Lots of fun and I love the action and feel.

I read several great photo books and it gave me a lot of information,

but
then it happened. My daughter had a birthday party with twenty

screaming
kids running around indoors. I cranked off about 300 pictures using

many
different settings and studied histograms along the way and re-snapped.
Reading about the stuff is a great intro but there is nothing like doing

it
a lot to really find out what works and why.

Now I plan to set up the stills and take hundreds of pictures under

slightly
varying criteria.

Any input to help the learning appreciated.

Trolls need not reply.

Jimmy

I am a professional photography instructor at a major University. I am
no stranger to the learning process. The 10D may please you now, but
once you start to grow as a photographer you will be itching for a
more complete system with less problems. See my post about the
advantages of Sigma over other camera manufacturers. It should prove
to be very informative.

Giorgio,

Sorry, you may be a professional, but, you come off like a self serving
troll or an aggressive Sigma employee. Maybe if you "soften" your technique
it would be better.

Jimmy

Never say "soften" to a porn photographer.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old June 27th 04, 10:25 PM
Mike Kohary

Giorgio Preddio wrote:
[...]

Jimmy, ignore this troll - he posts to intentionally mislead (for what
reason none of us knows, but he's apparently been doing it for years).
You're on the right track and you have one of the very best cameras in the
business, so you won't be itching for anything (I'm sure you know this
already). Just keep working on your skills, because ultimately that will be
the most important thing.

Mike

Old June 27th 04, 10:27 PM
Mike Kohary

Jimmy Smith wrote:
[...]

I see my warning elsewhere in this thread was not needed - you are exactly
right, and good for you for ferriting this out on your own.

Do you have any of your work posted anywhere? I'd like to see it.

Mike

Old June 27th 04, 10:44 PM

On 27 Jun 2004 12:19:43 -0700, (Georgette
Preddy) wrote:

David Kilpatrick wrote in message ...
Jimmy Smith wrote:

The 10D is great. Lots of fun and I love the action and feel.

I read several great photo books and it gave me a lot of information, but
then it happened. My daughter had a birthday party with twenty screaming
kids running around indoors. I cranked off about 300 pictures using many
different settings and studied histograms along the way and re-snapped.
Reading about the stuff is a great intro but there is nothing like doing it
a lot to really find out what works and why.

Now I plan to set up the stills and take hundreds of pictures under slightly
varying criteria.

Any input to help the learning appreciated.

Trolls need not reply.

Jimmy

Your post sounds remarkably like one to start with. You need to be more
specific about what you plan to do and what you mean be 'slightly
varying criteria'. For example, what colour mode to use for shots of
kids by flash, how to set exposure balance between flash and ambient,
etc. There are users out there who will tell you. But if you ask such a
vague question, what on earth is anyone supposed to write to help you?

Here is a good place to start when using the 10D...

- No hot spots in the scene whatsoever (they WILL blow in highlite)
- No action requiring servo AF focus (near 100% miss rate)
- Nothing that requires review mode for fine tuning (camera too slow)
- Nothing that requires MLU or bracking (set up/down too heinous)
- Nothing that requires crisp focus (incapable in areas of vivid color)

Still do not have pics gp
Old June 28th 04, 12:21 AM
DJ

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:21:34 GMT, "Chris" wrote:

snip
such an instructor (University faculty are called Professor, in case you
forgot that, somehow.), you should be following a textbook, and not trying

With respect, that's a parochial American statement. Here in Australia they may
be called Lecturers. In other countries they are Instructors.
Old June 28th 04, 02:31 AM
Crownfield

Giorgio Preddio wrote:

"Jimmy Smith" wrote in message ...
The 10D is great. Lots of fun and I love the action and feel.

I read several great photo books and it gave me a lot of information, but
then it happened. My daughter had a birthday party with twenty screaming
kids running around indoors. I cranked off about 300 pictures using many
different settings and studied histograms along the way and re-snapped.
Reading about the stuff is a great intro but there is nothing like doing it
a lot to really find out what works and why.

Now I plan to set up the stills and take hundreds of pictures under slightly
varying criteria.

Any input to help the learning appreciated.

Trolls need not reply.

Jimmy

I am a professional photography instructor at a major University.

Peoria junior College?

surely you jest.

I am
no stranger to the learning process.

you are just not good at it.
so you teach.
Old June 28th 04, 02:32 AM
Crownfield

Giorgio Preddio wrote:

"Jimmy Smith" wrote in message ...
The 10D is great. Lots of fun and I love the action and feel.

I read several great photo books and it gave me a lot of information, but
then it happened. My daughter had a birthday party with twenty screaming
kids running around indoors. I cranked off about 300 pictures using many
different settings and studied histograms along the way and re-snapped.
Reading about the stuff is a great intro but there is nothing like doing it
a lot to really find out what works and why.

Now I plan to set up the stills and take hundreds of pictures under slightly
varying criteria.

Any input to help the learning appreciated.

Trolls need not reply.

Jimmy

I am a professional photography instructor at a major University.

that would be ********pussy****.edu?

right.
Old June 28th 04, 02:38 AM
Capt Nud

Never forget...We are all learning...
Old June 28th 04, 09:26 AM
Mark M

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
om...

Here is a good place to start when using the 10D...

- No hot spots in the scene whatsoever (they WILL blow in highlite)
- No action requiring servo AF focus (near 100% miss rate)
- Nothing that requires review mode for fine tuning (camera too slow)
- Nothing that requires MLU or bracking (set up/down too heinous)
- Nothing that requires crisp focus (incapable in areas of vivid color)

Once again George shows his idiocy, and general lack of experience with ANY
camera.

Old June 28th 04, 09:44 AM
Mark M

[...]

Wow!
That's perhaps the biggest WHOPPER of a lie George has EVER told!!!
What a crock!
Any university would fire this idiot before they even hired him.